VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 09:11:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 79980 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #75 on: July 06, 2011, 11:12:54 pm »

Caleng,

Possibly your problem is related to dual booting.  I have never dual booted, so, if that is your situation, I probably cannot help.  But I load VL 6 so often (and lately VL7) I cannnot understand why you have these problems.  Sometimes I use the gui installer.  But I prefer the old installer.  I think you type "linux" or some such to get to it.  So I would start there.  When you start the computer with the install cd in the drive, at, I think, the first prompt, type "linux".  You can always try the gui installer if that doesn't work.  And then, at the next prompt (or at about the next prompt), do the fdisk thing, start at 0 and completely reformat your drive (if there is no data on it that you wish to save).  When I say "completely reformat" I mean set up a swap partitition, a root partition and a home partition.  Reformat all of them, unless you have data on the home partition, in which event do NOT format it.  15 gb certainly seems big enough for your root partition (but if you have enough space you might try 20 or 30 gb)...just in case.  Then, after a couple of screens, go get a beer and come back. After a few more screens you should be up and running.  Tben you can get drunk and chase women, one of my favorite passtimes.  

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: July 07, 2011, 05:00:08 pm »

Then you can get drunk and chase women, one of my favorite passtimes.  

John, where can I find that program about chasing-women? Wink
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2011, 05:47:36 pm »

I doubt dual booting is the problem. I have dual-booted Linux with one or more versions of Windows for many years and two of the three computers I regularly use are dual boots. Your Mileage May Vary, of course.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: July 07, 2011, 10:08:35 pm »

Pita,

Its an old dos program, if I recall.  Or perhaps cpm.  Its getting harder and harder to run it these days.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2011, 04:34:40 am »

Yeah, I have the same program. I used to run it all the time, but nowadays it has trouble keeping up with the newer offerings.
solex

« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2011, 10:58:17 am »

Just install VL7 on my Lenovo X61, what a really nice O/S.  I love the XFCE interface it is so nice looking...

Here are a couple of things I found to date:

1) I cannot control the speaker volume with the keyboard keys
2) This service "avahidnsconfd" fails to start, not sure what it does.
3) Also when the boot screen goes into a "command" window mode (all black window) it only shows in 800x600 is there a way to get it to view in 1024x768; the resolution of my screen.  The blue vector screen when booting shows the entire width of the screen.
4) Thunar is slow when opening larger directories like /usr/lib
5) will I be able to continue to use GSLAPT up to the final release to update my system?

Thanks,
Dan
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 11:20:54 am by solex » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2011, 12:52:49 pm »

solex,

The volume keys on my Dell laptop have never worked to control the volume in VectorLinux. I don't know if those keys work only in Windows or if there is some way you can get them to work in Linux. I run VL6 Light on that laptop. I have a PS/2 keyboard with volume keys attached to my Sempron desktop and those keys don't work in any Linux. I do have VL7 Standard RC2 on it. The volume keys work in Windows without any special keyboard driver.

Thunar is fairly slow to open large directories like /usr/bin on my computers, also.

>> will I be able to continue to use GSLAPT up to the final release to update my system? <<

If you mean will you be able to update to VL7 Standard Final with Gslapt, the answer is "no." You'll have to reinstall from scratch. VectorLinux does not have a version update option and you have to reinstall any new release, but you can copy many things from your earlier version if you can use a different partition for VL7 Final on your computer or you copy things you want to save such as your /home directory to other media. If you want to do that, there are some techniques for saving the ownership and permissions of your files. So ask here first if you want to go that way.

I don't know the answers to your other points.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:09:53 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Mrbasilsmudge

« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2011, 08:04:00 am »

I have a x61s thinkpad attached to an ultabase, external keyboard and external monitor because the screen is cracked which makes it very difficult to work from. Other than the ext. Monitor resolution which can be rectified by fbset my only problem is the keyboard, generic uk USB, it works without a problem on my arch partitions, worked fine during install (I have gone through the process several times to check) and it works fine while navigating the grub menu but once I get to the post install keyboard/monitor configuration it refuses to work I can't even turn the num lock on.... I opened the lid to my laptop and found that I could happily type using that.... But... Once I got to the vector login screen... This failed resulting in not being able to use either keyboard.  although my main distribution is arch I leave a partition available to experiment with other distribution and have never encountered this problem before. Sadly as I am unable to access my vector system I can not comment on anything else Smiley
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2011, 08:21:16 am »

It would sure be nice if I could print via the usb port to my HP laserjet 4mplus.  Cups simply does not see it when I try to add a new printer.

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2011, 12:48:38 pm »

It would sure be nice if I could print via the usb port to my HP laserjet 4mplus.  Cups simply does not see it when I try to add a new printer.

That's a pretty old printer. Does it come with USB or are you connecting the printer's parallel port cable to a parallel-to-USB adapter? Either way, I have no solution. I'm just curious. I know some parallel-to-USB connections do not work well.
--GrannyGeek

vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2011, 05:24:48 pm »

As granny suggested those parallel to usb convertor cables can be a little tricky in linux. I found a discussion on another forum that pretty much mirrors your problem, so you might try following the suggestions there.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=894223&page=2
the basic procedure is this:
What worked for me was as follows;
1. Select System, Admin, Printing from the menu
2. Press New and when the dialogue box comes up for New Printer press forward and then select your printer (HP LJ4 in my case). I know this will not be for a USB connection but we'll fix that later.
3. Once you have selected your printer driver press Apply and when asked if you want to print a test page select No.
4. Now you have your printer driver installed you should see it in the Printer Configuration window. Right click on it and select properties.
5. Change the Device URL to parallel:/dev/usb/lp0 and press Apply.

Hope this helps and let us know if you have any success!!

Cheers,
Vec
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: July 12, 2011, 04:03:40 am »

I'm still on RC1, so I can't tell if this was fixed already, but I don't see it in the repo, so...

We really need to add the last ntfsprogs to the iso. Either that, or upgrade to ntfs-3g_ntfsprogs-2011.4.12, since ntfsprogs was merged with ntfs-3g at that version.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Sty
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:45 am »

Okay, I've installed it on my laptop.

2 errors I found.
When installing I was going to mount my windows partition and clicked on other and crashed the installer to the grey screen. Didn't know how to get it back so I went ahead and rebooted it. An option to restart that may be wise to add later on (I never have been able to find one).
I have a Lenovo T61 laptop with an nVidia Quadro NVS 140M discrete graphics card. I know that my graphics suffered when displaying my mouse, instead of an arrow I showed a horizontal pixilish bar. I jumped over to nVidia and downloaded the latest driver and its working now (after a bit of a scare), but I seem to remember when I came onboard with VL 5 originally that included ATI and nVidia drivers. I'm guessing this has been removed due to size issues, but not sure.

Looks like a great distro guys. Working at updating to the latest Firefox and Opera (something that should probably be done before the final). Keeping up with Firefox is gonna be a nightmare with the new Mozilla release schedule...

* Enterprise *
Running Vector Linux 5.9 Deluxe
|| Intel Core2Duo E6600 | 4 GB DDR2 RAM | ATi Radeon X1900XT ||
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2011, 04:21:06 pm »

Grannygeek

Does it come with USB or are you connecting the printer's parallel port cable to a parallel-to-USB adapter?

Best I can tell, it doesn't come with USB.  I am connecting the printer's parallel port cable to the Samsung's USB.

Thanks for the input.

John

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2011, 04:33:31 pm »

Vec,

I was tied up today and off to a dinner now but will read the ubuntu forum article soon.  I tried a while adapting the ubuntu instructions to Vector but failed to get to the point where I could see the various printers.  The quoted ubuntu instructions could not be translated to Vector with my skills, due to differences in the interfaces. 

I did get on hp's site to see if I could directly download the driver for the laserjet 4mp.  It says something like hplip must be downloaded and installed to get the hp laserjet 4mp driver (and any of 2000 some other HP linux drivers).  Before downloading hplip from the HP website, I looked on my drive and found hplip at /usr/share.  I suspect that hplip came with VL 7 rc 2 as I don't recall downloading it before.   I will keep at it.  Perhaps I need to tell Cups where hplip is in order to see the printer drivers.  I just don't know right now.

Thanks much for the suggestions.  I suspect they will do the trick as my time frees up, perhaps this weekend.

John

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: