VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 12:54:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 85136 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2011, 06:56:44 pm »

sledgehammer,

Just use the driver offered by CUPS for your printer. You don't need anything from hplip.

Don't expect CUPS to show you your printer. Pick it out yourself. I have no experience with parallal-to-USB adapters, so I don't know how you can create a USB port for the printer.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2011, 07:19:21 pm »

My old Epson LQ-300 24 Pin printer is connected with a parallel to usb adaptor
cable. I could never get it to print in VL-6. Only when Vl-6-LIght came out
suddenly cups found my printer. Ever since I kept that printer setting.
In /etc/cups/printers.conf it shows:  DeviceURI usb://Unknown/

Then again in the the alpha versions of VL7 I could not make to print this Epson and
a Brother printer as reported in this thread. Suddenly in the Beta version I think
cups could read both printers.  VL7-Live had no problem finding those printers.

When I print the first time after a reboot with the Epson I have to unplug first
the usb cable then replug and printer starts printing. If there is a problem cups not
finding my printers I just copy the printers.conf setting from its stored place, the original
from VL6-Light. That has never failed. Naturally the *.ppd files have to be there.

Sledgehammer may be you have the printer settings yet from VL-6 to use.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #92 on: July 13, 2011, 07:18:11 am »

Grannygeek,

I don't know how to get Cups to show me a list of printers.  And I can't figure out how to get cups to offer me a printer.

Thx

John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 07:20:29 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #93 on: July 13, 2011, 07:25:59 am »

Grannygeek,

I don't know how to get Cups to show me a list of printers.  And I can't figure out how to get cups to offer me a printer.

Thx

John

Code:
# service cups restart
Open your web browser, and go to http://localhost:631
You will see the cups interface.
Click on "Administration"
Under "Printers" click "Add Printer". It will ask for user/password, enter your root and your root password
Follow the wizard.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #94 on: July 13, 2011, 03:31:25 pm »

Thanks M0E-lnx,

I followed your instructions and get to a screen with the following (and, best I can tell, ONLY the following) choices:

"Local Printers:    _ SCSI Printer
                                _ HP Printer (HPLIP)
                                _ HP Fax (HPLIP)
Discovered Network Printers:    
Other Network Printers:    
                                _ Internet Printing Protocol (http)
                                _ Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
                                _ LPD/LPR Host or Printer
                                _ AppSocket/HP JetDirect
                                _ Windows Printer via SAMBA
                                _ Backend Error Handler

(continue)"

Under VL 6, the above screen would also include a "_ usb ..." printer designation which I could click on and then follow (the wizard) to install my HP laserjet 4mp.  I don't get that choice now and clicking on the other choices seems to take me nowhere.  I tried another HP printer, a laserjet 6, with same result.

Any suggestions?  I received a ubuntu link the other day which I am going to parse this weekend. or earlier if time permits.  I'm pretty sure it contains the solution, once I come to understand it.

John

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #95 on: July 13, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

I installed today. pretty good.

cept ndiswrapper will NOT auto load. every reboot i have to keep doing modprobe ndiswrapper

Linux Registered User #481509.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #96 on: July 13, 2011, 04:39:36 pm »

Thanks M0E-lnx,

I followed your instructions and get to a screen with the following (and, best I can tell, ONLY the following) choices:

"Local Printers:    _ SCSI Printer
                                _ HP Printer (HPLIP)
                                _ HP Fax (HPLIP)
Discovered Network Printers:    
Other Network Printers:    
                                _ Internet Printing Protocol (http)
                                _ Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
                                _ LPD/LPR Host or Printer
                                _ AppSocket/HP JetDirect
                                _ Windows Printer via SAMBA
                                _ Backend Error Handler

(continue)"

Under VL 6, the above screen would also include a "_ usb ..." printer designation which I could click on and then follow (the wizard) to install my HP laserjet 4mp.  I don't get that choice now and clicking on the other choices seems to take me nowhere.  I tried another HP printer, a laserjet 6, with same result.

Any suggestions?  I received a ubuntu link the other day which I am going to parse this weekend. or earlier if time permits.  I'm pretty sure it contains the solution, once I come to understand it.

John

This is the same problem I had with my printers. They just would  not show in cups.
Especially the Epson.

John if you could reinstall VL6 and provided the printer will show, safe
/etc/cups/ in a safe place then reinstall VL7 and copy that VL6 /etc/cups/
into VL7. I bet against your finest cigar that it will work. At least has worked
for me many times.

Make sure as well that you have your printer switched on before going into
http://localhost:631/admin. Has made a difference as well.

It also pays to have /etc backed-up regularly. Then you would have /etc/cups/ from VL6 now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 04:57:07 pm by Pita » Logged
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #97 on: July 14, 2011, 04:52:58 am »

Pita,

I will accept the bet.  I fired up my old Thinkpad (VL 6) and copied /etc/cups to /etc/cups on my new samsung, after renaming the existing VL7 cups to /etc/cupsVL7.  I will try it when I get to the office later today.  

Thanks.  I think it will work as it shows a couple of my printers.  If so, tell me where to send the cigar.

BTW it was nice, when shutting down the Thinkpad, to have a clean shutdown.  My samsung, on VL 7, goes into a continuous loop on shutdown.  Don't know if that's samsung's or VL 7's problem.  

John

REPORT FROM OFFICE:  Pita, it worked but it still won't print.  It still doesn't see the printer.  I do get to see the printer in cups though:

hplj4-home   HPLJ4   home   HP LaserJet 4mp pcl3, hpcups 3.11.5   Idle - "Processing page 1..."

And: 

Description:   HPLJ4
Driver:   HP LaserJet 4mp pcl3, hpcups 3.11.5 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:   usb://Unknown/
Defaults:   job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

An earlier post  by Vec suggests that the solution, at least in ubuntu, is to change the connection from usb to parallel by modifing the printer's properties.  However, I see no way in cups to change the connection. 

I am going to read up on the ubuntu solution this weekend.  Perhaps you will still get the cigar.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 08:36:43 am by sledgehammer » Logged

w2ibc
Packager
Vectorite

GAHHHHHH!!!!!

« Reply #98 on: July 14, 2011, 04:55:56 pm »

I installed today. pretty good.

cept ndiswrapper will NOT auto load. every reboot i have to keep doing modprobe ndiswrapper

also beside the above issue. on the weather applet in the dock, how the heck you set it to read F instead of C

Linux Registered User #481509.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #99 on: July 14, 2011, 05:14:47 pm »

Pita,

I will accept the bet.  I fired up my old Thinkpad (VL 6) and copied /etc/cups to /etc/cups on my new samsung, after renaming the existing VL7 cups to /etc/cupsVL7.  I will try it when I get to the office later today.  

Thanks.  I think it will work as it shows a couple of my printers.  If so, tell me where to send the cigar.

BTW it was nice, when shutting down the Thinkpad, to have a clean shutdown.  My samsung, on VL 7, goes into a continuous loop on shutdown.  Don't know if that's samsung's or VL 7's problem.  

John

REPORT FROM OFFICE:  Pita, it worked but it still won't print.  It still doesn't see the printer.  I do get to see the printer in cups though:

hplj4-home   HPLJ4   home   HP LaserJet 4mp pcl3, hpcups 3.11.5   Idle - "Processing page 1..."

And: 

Description:   HPLJ4
Driver:   HP LaserJet 4mp pcl3, hpcups 3.11.5 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:   usb://Unknown/
Defaults:   job-sheets=none, none media=na_letter_8.5x11in sides=one-sided

An earlier post  by Vec suggests that the solution, at least in ubuntu, is to change the connection from usb to parallel by modifing the printer's properties.  However, I see no way in cups to change the connection. 

I am going to read up on the ubuntu solution this weekend.  Perhaps you will still get the cigar.

In cups printers you see your printer. Click on it then there is a small window
Administration click on the arrow for a pull-down. Then click on "Set As Server Default".
That will make the printer the default. It should show in a terminal giving
command "lpq" and replay should be "your  printer is ready no entries".

If you get this you should be set to print. As I mentioned for my Epson printer
I have to first pull the usb plug out and in before it starts printing.

Good luck!
di98jgu

« Reply #100 on: July 15, 2011, 03:04:25 pm »

Hey

A bit of help needed and few comments...

Just installed the latest Vector 7.0. Works well, just had a few issues so far
- Confirm post 7 by Andy Price about the other option during installation.
- Missing icons here and there, I figure it out.
- Xfce clipman from repos did not work, complained about exo-0.3. Downloaded the source and after minor changes in the configure file it now work with exo-0.6. Well it have not crashed yet at least.
- And a serious firewall problem. 

The firewall problem happens during start up and shut down of the computer. I would be happy if you could help me to solve it.

During start up I get

" starting Firewall......WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release
WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release
WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release
starting default firewall ..."

No loop but first there is a "Firewall" and then a "default firewall". Two different firewalls ?

At shut down I get something similar but now in an eternal loop.
It goes like this

" Stopping Firewall...............WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.
WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.
Stopping firewall ...
Stopping Firewall...............WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.
Stopping firewall ...
Stopping Firewall...............WARNING: all config needs .conf: /etc/modeprobe.d/sound, it will be ignored in a future release.
..."

Note the difference in stopping firewall, again two different firewalls.

The sound issue is an easy one. The configuration file for sound found in /etc/modeprobe.d is without its compulsory .conf ending, thus the warning.

But the sound warning have nothing to do with the firewall problem. Clearly there is a script going in a loop somewhere involving both firewall and the configure file for sound.

sledgehamm report the same issue
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14343.15

He speculate that linphone had something do to with this. But no, it is not the case. I had this problem at the first login after installation.

I would like to debug it, any ideas ?

Greetings
// JG
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #101 on: July 16, 2011, 08:04:12 am »

My computer is freezing now, pretty regularly (once or twice a day), requiring hard shutdown. Don't know if its samsung's or VL7's fault.  Only that it never froze with thinkpad and VL6.

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #102 on: July 16, 2011, 12:50:37 pm »

My computer is freezing now, pretty regularly (once or twice a day), requiring hard shutdown. Don't know if its samsung's or VL7's fault.  Only that it never froze with thinkpad and VL6.

A couple of us have reported that issue with VL7. It doesn't happen to me once or twice a day, but it does happen often enough that I notice it. Usually it happens while I'm using a browser. I use Opera most frequently but I don't know if it's an Opera thing. I know that yesterday it happened while I was using SeaMonkey.

I can't find anything in /var/log files to hint at what's happening.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
di98jgu

« Reply #103 on: July 16, 2011, 01:57:41 pm »

Hey

I must have made an mistake since my previous post disappeared, so I make a new attempt.

I wrote a few hallo word in the /etc/rc.d/rc.firewall and /etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall in hope to be more precise.

Should mention that I know next to nothing about firewalls and very little about bash.

First and most important is that VASM start as it should. I use VASM to set my
firewall. So the problem is shut down, the computer get stuck in a loop. See my previous (first) post.

During shut down init.d/firewall is run and it call rc.firewall.

In rc.firewall we find
Code:
  stop)
    echo "Stopping firewall ..."
    ## if exist, stop the new default firewall service 
    if [ -x $service_firewall ]; then
      service firewall stop
    else
      firewall_stop
    fi
    ;;

The first option "service firewall stop" is run during shut down. The stop of firewall service result in a call to init.d/firewall. We have our loop.

I tried
Code:
f [ -x $service_firewall ]; then
      firewall_stop
      #service firewall stop
    else
And the computer now shut down is it should. But it does not solve the problem really. It is just a ugly work around.

Any ideas ?

Greetings
// JG
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #104 on: July 16, 2011, 06:51:37 pm »

Disabling click on mousepad

This is probably not a bug, but I set Option "TapButton" "1" (and 2 and 3) to zero in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf and it doesn't disable the clicking function.  I think it should.

John

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: