VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 02:19:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 54555 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2011, 02:55:30 pm »

/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/galculator.png is a dead link,
pointing to  "../../../../pixmaps/galculator/galculator_48x48.png", should be
../../../../pixmaps/galculator/galculator.png
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2011, 10:54:17 pm »

Several times, after leaving the computer on and unattended for a few hours, upon my return, the system has frozen, requiring a hard reboot.  I have slowed down the screensaver in hopes that will the problem.  I have 3019MB of memory.

In addition, I am having trouble getting sound through the hdmi port.  I switch to the intel cougarpoint hdmi mixer, but it doesn't work.  Video works great though.

John
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 12:19:10 am by sledgehammer » Logged

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2011, 12:56:58 am »

There seem to be a few libraries missing from mine. I couldn't get abiword, gnumeric or firefox to run.

If no one else has the same problem I'll put it down to a bad burn. Strange though, because I watched it as it was installing and I couldn't see anything untoward.

Best,

CP .
scififry

« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2011, 05:39:09 am »

In addition, I am having trouble getting sound through the hdmi port.  I switch to the intel cougarpoint hdmi mixer, but it doesn't work.  Video works great though.
Maybe you have to configure ALSA for your hdmi sound port?

Hdmi is a very complicated new thing as you probably already knew. Sorry if this doesn't help Embarrassed
cry_baby

« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2011, 02:04:43 pm »

Installed the standard version (not live) with no problems during install. But when its finished and i reboot it doesnt load the GUI. It says that theres no KDM, GDM, XDM.. or something like that. And when the prompt appears (text mode) i can only login as root, but i cant even run vasm. I re/installed but nothing changed.
I will try to intall from live cd.
I checked the md5 sums to see if they were ok, and they are, so i dont know.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2011, 02:25:28 pm »

Installed the standard version (not live) with no problems during install. But when its finished and i reboot it doesnt load the GUI. It says that theres no KDM, GDM, XDM.. or something like that. And when the prompt appears (text mode) i can only login as root, but i cant even run vasm. I re/installed but nothing changed.
I will try to intall from live cd.
I checked the md5 sums to see if they were ok, and they are, so i dont know.

Standard version should be your best bet.  Did you do a full install or did you make any custom choices during the set-up?

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
cry_baby

« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2011, 04:33:50 pm »

Did a full install. Now I installed from live. When i clicked on vlliveinstaller and followed the first steps then i tried to quit/close the installation, and the window did closed, but after a while a message of installation complete appear, and it had actualy instaled without me knowing it. So, i reboot and try it out. Again x wouldnt start automatically, i log in as root in text mode and write startx, and finally im in the desktop. Wicd also didnt start automatically the first time.
Now im running an installed live version, with a buggy install... Couldnt choose partitions and i actually didnt know that it was installing itself.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2011, 06:11:51 pm »

There seem to be a few libraries missing from mine. I couldn't get abiword, gnumeric or firefox to run.

If no one else has the same problem I'll put it down to a bad burn.

I've run Firefox for long periods with no problem. Abiword did start for me, but I didn't do anything with it. It does look fine. I didn't try gnumeric because I don't use it.

This is true on my two desktop computers.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2011, 07:56:17 pm »

VECTORLINUX 7.0 LIVE-RC2

If I am in a home directory created with useradd before installing with the
installer and I try to play with xine, the programm will open and then crashes
just before it starts playing. That is both in fluxbox and xfce4.

If I mount my VL6 home directory of a separate partition xine plays audio
 and video correctly again both in fluxbox and xfce4.

As for VECTORLINUX 7.0 Std RC2, firefox-5.0 and abiword pose no problems.

Flashdrive cannot be mounted as reported when in xfce4 and clicking on the
flashdrive icon.

In fluxbox I can mount the flashdrive with the mount command, however,
when opeing it it claims that it is totally empty even so the same flashdrive
shows that it is 95 % full when mounted in VL6 where it was loaded with the
back-up of my /home directory.   Huh
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:35:18 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2011, 12:58:54 pm »

Exaile isn't working right on my two desktop systems. When I tell it to play a stream from our local public radio classical station, there is no sound and no sign it is playing it, although the "stop" button is available and the play button is not. Other media players do play the stream fine. Exaile in rc1 and the betas did play the stream. Exaile does play another stream if I select it.

When Exaile attempts to play the stream it can't play, it can't play local music files if I remove the stream from the playlist.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caieng

« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2011, 01:42:10 pm »

Quote from: GrannyGeek
Exaile isn't working right on my two desktop systems.

Wish I could help you, but, I am posting here to note my own few problems with RC-2.

First, let me say, though, that the installation program seems to me, to be VASTLY improved, compared with a few months back.  Thank you.

I am still unable to reboot successfully, after selecting sda4 for the installation of  LILO.  The default, of course, is MBR, and I refuse to use that.  It appears to be a standoff.  Vector insists that I employ MBR, and I insist on using the partition where Linux is installed.

I consider this a bug, for many, many other Linux distros do permit me to install the boot loader to the same partition where I have installed the OS.

Thirdly, GrannyGeek is using exaile, a program which I detest.  I am strictly a VLC guy, and VLC seems not available in the repository.....
Am I doing something wrong?

Finally, in the nitpicker category, (maybe everything I write belongs in that bin!!) there ought, in my opinion, be an icon on the desktop, after the initial boot, during the install process, to enable the user to INSTALL the OS.

Further, icons on the desktop ought to respond to a SINGLE click of the mouse.  This is no longer 1980, where mice had only one button, and one was obliged to click twice to signal yes, and click once to signal no.

In conclusion, I like your new XFCE-4 desktop, I like the improved installer, and I remain confused about the status of VLC.....(not to write that I am not also confused about lots of other things too....

Thanks again for the newest release candidate....

Smiley

CAI ENG
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2011, 05:23:27 pm »

Dear caieng,

I believe vlc-1.1.7-i586-1vl70 [inst=no]: vlc (multimedia player) is at the testing repo. Pls enable testing repo and you can install it from slapt-get/gslapt. Due to the VLC package is still in the testing stage, pls help to test it and report any problem regarding VLC in the VLC thread. Thanks. Smiley

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14673.0
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2011, 07:01:25 pm »

I have VLC installed in RC2. It's  in the testing repo.

I  notice that we often get questions asking for this or that application, which they couldn't find with Gslapt. In most cases, the app is in /testing. I wish we could do something about making users aware of ALL the repos, including /extras, /gsb, and above all, /testing. I am well aware of the uncertain status of apps that are in /testing and everyone who uses /testing should be aware that there is a slight risk in using those apps. I must say, though, that in several years of using apps from /testing, I've never wrecked my system. About the worst that might happen is that the app doesn't work right, or at all, on my system. I don't do an "upgrade everything" with /testing enabled and am not suggesting that. However, installing apps from /testing on an individual basis is generally safe, in my experience. Anyway, things don't get tested *that* extensively before they're moved to the regular repos, so you're not gaining a lot by waiting if there is something you really want.

caieng said:
>> Vector insists that I employ MBR, and I insist on using the partition where Linux is installed. >>

I've had LILO installed on the partition of the Linux I'm using for years. As far as I know, if you put LILO on the boot sector of the Linux partition instead of the MBR, it's expected you'll be using another boot loader that will chain to that partition. I've used LILO-on-the-Linux-partition when I'm using the Windows XP boot loader and it works just fine. In fact, that's what I'm doing right now on my Sempron computer.

>>  there ought, in my opinion, be an icon on the desktop, after the initial boot, during the install process, to enable the user to INSTALL the OS. >>

So you're using the Live CD version? I believe you have to be root in order to install the OS on the hard drive if you're using the Live CD. But why not use the "real" CD for installing? I see the Live CD as a "try before you decide" thing rather than an Ubuntu-like one-size-fits-all.

>>  icons on the desktop ought to respond to a SINGLE click of the mouse.  >>

That may be an XFce thing. In Thunar you can choose some single-click option, but I don't like it and have never used it and it applies only to Thunar. It may not be 1980, but Windows 7 still uses double-clicks on the desktop and the Mac has always been designed for a single button mouse--though many users don't like that and use two-button mice instead. I'd say starting programs by clicking on desktop icons is becoming passe, though it's still an option for users. I never start programs that way. I set up launchers on the XFce Panel and they function as "drawers"--the icon on the Panel has the little arrow next to it and when you click it, other programs in that category become visible and can be started with one click. My categories are Terminals, File Managers, Browsers, Office apps, Graphics apps, Multimedia apps, Miscellaneous apps, System Management such as vasm, gslapt, htop, etc. The apps I don't use often are in the Desktop Menu ("Start" menu), which I can access also by a right-click on the desktop.

I guess this means you can't please everyone. One likes this, another likes that, and the best we can hope for are options when possible.
--GrannyGeek

caieng

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2011, 09:37:38 am »

I have VLC installed in RC2. It's  in the testing repo.
1.  THANK you GrannyGeek, very much.  Thoughtful, meaningful, and useful reply, as usual.  Much appreciated.  
2.  Sorry, I don't know how to use the "testing repo".  I just barely understand the idea of Gslapt.  I guess, but do not know from personal experience, that Gslapt works the same way as "synaptic", i.e. the Debian program which enables users to upgrade their software from a central repostitory.  I also am aware, but could not explain the distinction with the red hat rpm repository.
3.  Is your VLC the current version, 1.10?  I am using 1.10 on both Linux and WinXP, at present.

As far as I know, if you put LILO on the boot sector of the Linux partition instead of the MBR, it's expected you'll be using another boot loader that will chain to that partition
Yes, I use, with great success, XOSL.  I have used XOSL with any number of Linux distros, without any difficulty.  I must be doing something wrong, for I cannot reach the Vector boot sector on sda4, post installation.

So you're using the Live CD version? I believe you have to be root in order to install the OS on the hard drive if you're using the Live CD.
Root Schmmoot.  Who cares?  do I care?  NO.  Absolutely not.  I use my computer.  No one else.  It is not a server.  I don't share it with anyone else.  Root for me is an abstraction, an irritant.  
Procedure: a.  download distro; b.  install distro;  c.  test distro.  
End of story.

To this point, I have not succeeded in testing Vector 7, because I cannot login.  I can't login because nothing happens, the screen is blank, I never reach VL 7.  I am stuck trying to boot.
Am I doing something wrong?  YES, obviously.  (from the perspective of the writer of the software program that installs Vector.)  I am engaged in precisely the same behaviour that I employ in testing every other Linux distro.  a.  download, b.  install, c.  test.

Failure to boot is clearly a reflection of some sort of error made by me, right?  yes.  But, all I can say, in my defense, is that I am engaged in doing nothing different from what I do for every other Linux distro.

To my way of thinking, this is a bug in the installer.

I make it all the way through to the end (already a big improvement, compared with previous beta versions of 7), but upon rebooting, boom, zilch, nada.  FAILURE.

It may not be 1980, but Windows 7 still uses double-clicks on the desktop and the Mac has always been designed for a single button mouse--though many users don't like that and use two-button mice instead.

Sorry, but here we are definitely on two different roads, aimed in completely opposite directions.
I don't do ANYTHING, because Apple, or M$ do it that way.

Invoking Apple or M$ as a justification for doing something which is:

a.  counterintuitive,
b.  utterly stupid;
c.  clumsy;
d.  assuming a feature of nimbleness which elderly folks like me, LACK;

is an absolute dead end.  I will not support, or use, any OS, that demands two clicks of the mouse.

If Vector Linux wishes to ENABLE, obsolete technology, that is no problem, from my perspective.  BUT, it is a REAL problem, if the distro requires users to behave in a manner consistent with the norms of obsolete technology.  Let there be a switch which Granny and others can enable, to require the user to click twice.  Fine.  No problem.  Require that I click twice, however:  boom,  ZERO, NOPE, END OF STORY.  No further interest in this distro.  One click as the default, or I have no further interest in Vector Linux.  Granny and all others who love Apple and Windows 7, can click twice with a switch, but I am not going to endure the travail of trying to find such a silly switch, (if it exists) and changing it, to single click.

CAI ENG

« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 09:40:57 am by caieng » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2011, 10:42:31 am »

Again guys, seriously? How hard is it to change the mouse behaviour from double to single click?

I personally like the double click action and hate the single clicks for no reason other than that's what i'm  used to... that's how the computers I use work...

I understand the rants about the ugly default theme on VL7... and I myself dont like it, but I dont have to stare at that for the rest of the distro's life.  Can be changed with a couple of clicks.  I change mine immediately after the first boot.  But to say
Code:
I will not support, or use, any OS that demands two clicks of the mouse
I think is going too far.  No distro is aimed at pleasing everybody.  You guys are missing the point here.  If you're not willing to configure your linux environment, why are you  using linux in the first place?  why not just find some un-customizable OS that doesn't allow you to change the appearance or peripheral behaviour?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: