VectorLinux
October 19, 2014, 08:18:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 78114 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: July 01, 2011, 02:44:57 pm »

When you run Gslapt, certain repositories are available by default. To change those, you go to Edit, Preferences, Sources and enable Testing in one of the choices. In order to make sure any needed dependencies are pulled down, I always have
patches
packages
extra
testing
gsb

Just an fyi. This release gsb was built totaly independently of the rest of the repo.  It isn't necessary to have gsb enabled for anything other than install applications that are on that repo, such as bashee or gnome-games.  I would recommend (unless you want to be the first guinee pig to try it out.) Disabling GSB before using the mark all upgrade function in GSlapt and executing.  That's pretty much the case for testing as well. Fine to leave it enabled at all times up until the point where you want to "Mark All Upgrades" and "Execute" in GSlapt.  At that time it is better left disabled.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
cry_baby

« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 04:21:33 pm »

I think that the problem whit my instalation were the partitions. I tried installing all in one partition and it worked. But when i install /, /usr, /home, /var, in different partitions it doesnt work. It says that there is no boot.log in the /var partition, or something.. Do you think thats the reason? Did you tried installing VL7 with a similiar partition table (/, /usr, /home, /var)?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2011, 04:56:15 pm »

So I am assuming that Pita had some sort of Freudian slip in identifying VL7 Light Live.  Would like to know what Pita actually tested.
--GrannyGeek

Yeah it must be. I really never looked close and just associated LIVE with LIGHT. Even wondering that they
are lumped together in one thread did not trigger a response.

I said to a docter some time ago: I must be getting old, and he replied: you are old. Grin Grin
So sorry!
Will correct later all my wrong entries.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:40:09 pm by Pita » Logged
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2011, 06:22:57 pm »

This release gsb was built totaly independently of the rest of the repo.  It isn't necessary to have gsb enabled for anything other than install applications that are on that repo, such as bashee or gnome-games.  I would recommend (unless you want to be the first guinee pig to try it out.) Disabling GSB before using the mark all upgrade function in GSlapt and executing.  That's pretty much the case for testing as well. Fine to leave it enabled at all times up until the point where you want to "Mark All Upgrades" and "Execute" in GSlapt.  At that time it is better left disabled.

Thanks. It's good to know that the gsb repo is needed just for whatever is in that repo.

I never do a Mark All Upgrades and Execute, but would certainly not have testing enabled if I were to do such a thing. I would now do the same for gsb.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2011, 06:31:05 pm »

I think that the problem whit my instalation were the partitions. I tried installing all in one partition and it worked. But when i install /, /usr, /home, /var, in different partitions it doesnt work. It says that there is no boot.log in the /var partition, or something.. Do you think thats the reason? Did you tried installing VL7 with a similiar partition table (/, /usr, /home, /var)?

Do you care to share the reason you wanted so many partitions? I usually use just one ( / ) and /home is a directory in / . I do have one computer (Dell laptop) where I have a / partition and a /home partition. I don't think I'll do it that way again, for reasons I won't go into.

One problem with overpartitioning is that it's difficult to predict how much space each partition will ultimately need. So it's likely we'd wind up with way too much unused space on one partition and not enough on another. I don't know if all those partitions would explain your installation difficulties.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2011, 06:54:21 pm »

I said to a docter some time ago: I must be getting
old, and he replied: you are old. Grin Grin

I have "senior moments," too. The more senior I get, the more moments I have. Wink
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2011, 04:34:03 am »

I don't know much about how this works, but trying to figure out why
cpufreq will not accept the ondemand or conservative governors

Code:
root:# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor           
userspace

root:# lsmod | grep cpu
cpufreq_performance      658  0
cpufreq_powersave        650  1
cpufreq_conservative     6438  0
cpufreq_ondemand        6486  0
freq_table              1771  2 cpufreq_ondemand,p4_clockmod

root:# ls -al /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4096 Jul  2 08:34 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

root:# echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
bash: echo: write error: Invalid argument

root:# echo userspace > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor

ondemand and conservative are rejected, but userspace is accepted, even though there seems to be no userspace module loaded.
additionally, the freq_table module shows that it is used by cpufreq_ondemand
cry_baby

« Reply #67 on: July 04, 2011, 10:46:51 am »

Do you care to share the reason you wanted so many partitions? I usually use just one ( / ) and /home is a directory in / . I do have one computer (Dell laptop) where I have a / partition and a /home partition. I don't think I'll do it that way again, for reasons I won't go into.

One problem with overpartitioning is that it's difficult to predict how much space each partition will ultimately need. So it's likely we'd wind up with way too much unused space on one partition and not enough on another. I don't know if all those partitions would explain your installation difficulties.
--GrannyGeek

Your were rigth, partitions are the problem. Vl7 Just doesnt work well if its divided that way, it doesnt even work well with just / and /home in different partitions, at least with ext4... It seems that it has to be all in one partition.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: July 04, 2011, 05:13:15 pm »

Your were rigth, partitions are the problem. Vl7 Just doesnt work well if its divided that way,
it doesnt even work well with just / and /home in different partitions, at least with ext4...
It seems that it has to be all in one partition.

I have had always 3 partions since VL4.8. "/", /usr/local and /home. On a new install all goes to "/" first.
After installation I add in fstab the permanent partitions /usr/local and /home. Never had aproblem that way.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #69 on: July 04, 2011, 07:26:36 pm »

I think I am doing the same as Pita.  Anyway, for years I have three partitions, a small swap, a not very large root, and a huge home partition.  When installing a new VL, I just format the root partition and put VL there.  I don't format home.   Works fine. 

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #70 on: July 04, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 LIVE

I just made a new installation on an another HD since the previous one showed signs of getting bust.
This time it went differently then the first time. It started installing after I pointed out the drive,
did not ask what system I want, ext3 or reiserfs. It showed a progress window and after the first 2%
this window disappeared. On the CPU indicator of gkrellm I could see that
something is going on and 'df' every now showed the install partion being loaded.
Suddenly the window asking for lilo popped-up.

All was installed and I could boot into it and the drive was ext3 formatted. I do
prefer reiserfs.  When booting the live CD I choose the first option with vga=791.
caieng

« Reply #71 on: July 05, 2011, 07:06:07 am »

Quote from: cry_baby
It seems that it has to be all in one partition.

I am clearly doing something incorrectly, at least from the perspective of the author(s) of the installer software.

I had trouble a week ago, or so, and as a result, downloaded a new copy, this time making sure that it was the "install" version.

First time, there was a crash, don't know more than that. 
Next day, yesterday, I again obtained ye olde blanke screene.  Not reassuring.

Thinking the problem then was most likely due to too much beverage consumed on the holiday, and insufficient eye on the monitor, this morning I tried again, this time, attempting to focus on the install.

First part worked ok.  Started the install, ok....Reached the section asking me for my user name, and an error message was produced, indicating that this particular user name had already been taken, (deja vu) and was therefore unavailable to use.

So, I changed the name, and got the same error.  Third time's the charm, right?  Nope.  Third time, with third different name, it just proclaimed: "unexpected error and must abort."  whereupon, I was looking at a blank screen, without user options.

open to suggestions.....
details:  I simply hit carriage return at boot up;   partition, single partition, for root, and everything else, except swap on its own primary partition.
computer:  586 P3 @1GHz, with half a gigabyte of RAM, video card S3 Savage 4.

CAI ENG
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #72 on: July 05, 2011, 09:52:09 am »

caieng, I remember you having troubles with the GUI install in previous VL testing you've done. It seems this time around you've actually been able to progress further, however are still halted by unknown GUI installer troubles. I will again recommend you give the TUI installer a try by issuing the command 'install' at the initial 'boot:' prompt. In previous VL6 testing you did the TUI installer was not available - this time it is and works fairly well. The TUI installer lacks some of the functionality of the GUI installer but for the most part it works well.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: July 05, 2011, 10:10:55 am »

caieng
Sorry for jumping in late of this, and you may have already answered this question, but how much space are you giving to root when you partition.

It occurs to me that a lot of the troubles could be do to giving to little space to root.  Also, explains why you install OK when you don't divide the partitions.

Again, sorry for not reading the full history, but needed to share a though.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
caieng

« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2011, 09:57:12 am »

Quote from: stretchedthin
how much space are you giving to root when you partition.

more than 15 GB.

CAI ENG
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: