VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 04:02:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 55524 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2011, 01:52:42 pm »

Over four hours now and keyboard/mouse haven't locked up. I'm now going to another computer but will leave this one on. When I was having the problem, it could happen even when the computer was idle. If it stays running without problems, that will be more encouraging evidence that the fix might be working.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #136 on: July 26, 2011, 01:05:00 am »

I've just downloaded a fresh ISO of RC2 and made a fresh install, and whilst it's a lot better than before I'm still getting the "no X11 keymaps" problem unfortunately. Is there an easy way of remedying it for the moment? Obviously I hope the devs will have a look at it too, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #137 on: July 26, 2011, 12:13:57 pm »

I had the computer on all night and everything was okay this morning. I stayed in Linux for a while, but then I had to boot into Windows because I wanted to watch some streaming videos that required Silverlight. The Moonlight plugin is not compatible with the latest Firefox and SeaMonkey, alas. Now I'm back in VL7 and so far things are fine.

I wondered what
idle=poll
was doing, so I googled it and found this:
Code:
919 idle= [X86]
920 Format: idle=poll, idle=mwait, idle=halt, idle=nomwait
921 Poll forces a polling idle loop that can slightly
922 improve the performance of waking up a idle CPU, but
923 will use a lot of power and make the system run hot.
924 Not recommended.

I haven't tried maxcpus=1 because the Sempron LE-1300 is a single-core processor and does not do hyperthreading. It is a low-energy CPU and is cool by nature. I don't think it can "use a lot of power" but I'm sure it can run hot within its capabilities.

So I'm still hoping for a less drastic solution, but if I can't find one, I'll stick with idle=poll.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2011, 12:47:05 pm »

I read a different post from a user who was unable to boot an ubuntu live cd, yet appending the 'idle=' options enabled successful booting of the CD. The person initially used 'idle=poll' which worked but has the possible high power consumption and increased battery-draining aspect. They then tried 'idle=mwait' and it also fixed the booting issue, and they noticed a decrease in discharging amperage (battery) rate along with cooler cpu temperatures. It's easy enough to try to see if it will help or not. Source: http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1087893.html

Going back to maxcpus: I know you said that your processor is a single-core without hyperthreading, BUT I wonder if this would make a difference anyway. Assuming it resolves the problem, it would seem that there's no harm in explicitly telling the kernel that you have a single processor. I wouldn't expect it to resolve your freezing problems, but I've seen oddly unrelated fixes solve strange computer problems.

HTH.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2011, 02:47:23 pm »

Thanks, newt. These are things I don't understand very well, and truth be told, I'm not much interested in them except insofar as they might solve a problem. I can certainly experiment more.

This computer is a desktop, so battery life is not an issue. If tomorrow goes as expected, I'll experiment with idle=mwait and maxcpus.

>> I've seen oddly unrelated fixes solve strange computer problems >>

For sure! It does make you wonder what's going on in these mysterious machines.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2011, 11:34:10 pm »

Kremlins at work Huh

I booted into installed VL7-RC2-LIVE which I have on second HD. Installed cheese. Gnome-desktop would
could not be installed may be on account of poor connection which timed-out.
Then I tried to reboot into my main box on master HD and got kernel panic.
It said /dev/sdb6 could not be found.

Booted with the live CD VL7 and to my surprise what used to be sdb* had
changed to sdc*. Checking fstab in /mnt/sda5 my main box it showed it had
changed as well, root had become /dev/sdb6. Correcting it to /dev/sda5 and
changing all /dev/sdb* to /dev/sdc* I was then able to boot into my main box
w/o doing a new lilo.

How could my fstab be changed and how did sdb change to sdc? If not for
kremlins at work what other explanation could there be. /dev/sda5 was not
even mounted when I was in VL7. Or something sinister in VL7-RC2?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2011, 09:20:20 am »

Sound card on my newest computer not recognized when running valsaconf.  Sad
Code:
root:# lspci | grep Audio
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset High Definition Audio (rev 06)
01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:32:41 am by nightflier » Logged
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #142 on: July 28, 2011, 10:33:40 am »

Thanks, newt. These are things I don't understand very well, and truth be told, I'm not much interested in them except insofar as they might solve a problem. I can certainly experiment more.

This computer is a desktop, so battery life is not an issue. If tomorrow goes as expected, I'll experiment with idle=mwait and maxcpus.

>> I've seen oddly unrelated fixes solve strange computer problems >>

For sure! It does make you wonder what's going on in these mysterious machines.<g>
--GrannyGeek
I could have sworn I saw a follow-up post from you indicating that you had implemented 'maxcpus' and removed 'idle=poll', but I'm not seeing it now. Was it another thread or was it pruned from this bug thread? Moderated? Deleted by you? Or am I just crazy and I never really saw it Shocked
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #143 on: July 28, 2011, 04:49:42 pm »

I could have sworn I saw a follow-up post from you indicating that you had implemented 'maxcpus' and removed 'idle=poll', but I'm not seeing it now. Was it another thread or was it pruned from this bug thread? Moderated? Deleted by you? Or am I just crazy and I never really saw it Shocked

I think I did post a very short message saying I added maxcpus=1 and removed idle=poll. I don't see it, though. I *think* it was in this thread but maybe I made a mistake and put it somewhere else.

Anyway, I did not have keyboard/mouse lockups with maxcpus=1 but I don't feel I ran it long enough to be confident that it fixed things as idle=poll did.

I made a big change today when I removed the GeForce video card from the Sempron and put it in the Athlon 64. I haven't yet started the computers to see how the change went.
--GrannyGeek

MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #144 on: July 28, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

GrannyGeek I also saw your post where you indicated trying maxcpus=1 and that it had been running for a few hours without any lockups. Interesting that it is not here now.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #145 on: July 29, 2011, 05:31:18 am »

I've just downloaded a fresh ISO of RC2 and made a fresh install, and whilst it's a lot better than before I'm still getting the "no X11 keymaps" problem unfortunately. Is there an easy way of remedying it for the moment? Obviously I hope the devs will have a look at it too, as I'm guessing I'm not the only one with this problem.

Bumped

Can someone else please try to change the keyboard to a UK one as I have done, and see whether or not it works? If it does I'll just assume it's my computer that's at fault.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 05:41:53 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #146 on: July 29, 2011, 05:58:34 am »

Bumped

Can someone else please try to change the keyboard to a UK one as I have done, and see whether or not it works? If it does I'll just assume it's my computer that's at fault.

I'll try when I get home from work, sadly that's like 10 hours from now. Will post my results when done.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #147 on: July 29, 2011, 09:58:19 am »

Thanks, and no hurry.

Cheers,

CP .
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #148 on: July 29, 2011, 05:02:58 pm »

Can someone else please try to change the keyboard to a UK one as I have done, and see whether or not it works?
If it does I'll just assume it's my computer that's at fault.

I booted into VL7-LIVE and on a terminal gave the command "setxkbmap gb" and the KB was changed to UK.
Characters on US KB \ | " ' @ #  became  ~ # @ ' " £ . I don't know how you set the KB map. I just make a small script
with above command. Put it in a launcher on the panel. I work with 3 maps, us, de and fr and can change them that way
easily. If the given command works on your computer and you use only the gb map I suggest to put it into /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
My computer is an old desktop PC.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #149 on: July 29, 2011, 08:50:41 pm »

Bumped

Seems there is a problem with the vasm module that changes keyboard layout. specifically
/sbin/vxkbset.  Going to have to take a long look at this, but even though it's bash it uses some coding I have not seen before. So I may need some help.

On the other hand there are some other ways to accomplish what you want to do.
As Pita has mentioned just use "setxkbmap gb"  or right click on the xfce-panel choose add new items and keyboard layouts.
I was able to switch successfully to a gb layout doing that as well.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: