VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:38:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 78471 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2011, 06:23:48 am »

Hi, have had a look at Light Alpha 4

We should have known, we would not be able to keep this hidden very long. After all, you guys are Linux users.  Wink
So it's official: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14826.0
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #166 on: August 05, 2011, 04:39:26 am »

Suspend may need attention.  It works fine so far as suspending, battery saving, etc is concerned, and if one unsuspends pretty quick, it unsuspends fine.  However, if this machine is suspended for a long time (e.g. an hour or two), on "unsuspend" (pushing power button) it comes up OK but the GUI is not active and the computer doesn't work.  So I do something like cntrl-alt-backspace (or delete, I forget) and it logs out of the GUI, whereupon I can then log in normally and it works fine.  I do this often as it is faster than a reboot. But it would be nice if it came out of a long suspend into a workable GUI. 

I can confirm this. Also, I don't get audio back after resume (I am still on in RC1 though), it used to work in the Betas. Anybody know how to reset the alsa system / sound driver (or whatever) without a reboot?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #167 on: August 05, 2011, 07:28:05 pm »

I can confirm this. Also, I don't get audio back after resume (I am still on in RC1 though), it used to work in the Betas. Anybody know how to reset the alsa system / sound driver (or whatever) without a reboot?

That one I would like to know too.  Tried switching to init 2 and back to 4, no dice.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2011, 07:55:34 am »

Does the brasero program copy video DVDs? I've never tried it. The Web site does mention copying DVDs but it wasn't clear to me that it would copy video DVDs.
--GrannyGeek

Brasero has a function saying: Disc copy,  create a 1:1 copy of a CD/DVD.

I never tried it, only burning CDs.

I finally got around to installing Brasero on my Sempron desktop. It complained about missing /usr/lib/libgmime-2.4.so.2, so I made a symlink from /usr/lib/libgmime-2.6.so.0.507.0. Brasero then started without complaint. I haven't yet tried to burn anything and I don't have any DVDs to copy right now. However, I may try burning VL7 Light Live alpha and we'll see how things go.

I guess the missing /usr/lib/libgmime-2.4.so.2 dependency should be fixed in the package. VL7 Standard has libgmime-2.6 installed but Brasero thinks it wants libgmime-2.4. I didn't want to install the older version that I think puts it there, being afraid to mess up the system. I'm hoping the symlink will be enough to keep it happy.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2011, 10:16:48 am »

I tried burning the VL7 light live alpha to CD with Brasero. Essentially, it doesn't work.

When I tried as user I got a message that /usr/bin /cdrecord was not installed. I checked in /usr/bin and there is a cdrecord symlink that goes to wodim. Apparently, the symlink doesn't fool Brasero. I couldn't find a "real" cdrecord in the repos and the earlier versions of VL on my computer don't have cdrecord, they have the same symlink to wodim.

Then I tried running brasero as root. I got TONS of messages and the program didn't load at all.

So I give up. The Brasero package in our repo won't work, at least not on my system.

I finally burned the CD with xfburn. I'm content with xfburn except it does not have an option to copy a DVD, which is something I must have because I do it fairly often. K3b can do it, but I hate to install something from KDE, which has a tendency to insert itself where you don't want it. So I'm hoping VL7 Standard can offer something with more functions than xfburn. Having it in the repos is fine; it doesn't have to be in the ISO. Otherwise I have to run Windows when I need to copy a DVD. That's not the end of the world. Windows boots fast on both my desktop computers and Nero works fine for copying DVDs. However, I'd rather be able to do it in VectorLinux.

I've googled on copying a DVD from the Linux command line but I haven't found something I can understand. Most of the hits seem to assume I'm ripping something, but I'm not. I'm just making a copy of one video DVD. Not exactly an exotic task.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2011, 10:20:13 pm »

Bashburn, the console app, offers a CD to CD copy option. I just tried it with a Windows 7 DVD and it worked ok. I only have one DVD drive so in my case it created a temporary iso file from the source DVD, then wrote it to the blank on the second pass. I had to move my temp burn folder to a partition with plenty of space as my root partition got over-filled by the iso. Anyway, it seems to work and bashburn is a tiny program with few dependencies. I'm not sure if it can copy directly from one DVD drive to a second if you have two DVD drives, perhaps someone with two drives can tell us.
Cheers
Andy

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #171 on: August 07, 2011, 11:13:37 am »

Thanks for the tip about bashburn. I installed it with Gslapt. I attempted to configure it but most of it was beyond me. I then put in a video DVD and attempted to copy it.

There are no options that say "video DVD." It offers audio CD, data CD, and ISO. I tried to copy as a data CD, although it's not a data CD. The program said it wasn't mounted. When I verified that it was mounted, bashburn still said it wasn't mounted. Video DVDs don't have file systems like data DVDs.

I guess I'm still looking for a solution.

Maybe I should explain more about what I'm trying to do. I often record programs from PBS onto the hard drive of our hard drive/DVD recorder. Then I edit out pledge breaks, intermissions, promos for upcoming programs, etc., and burn the program to a DVD using the DVD recorder. I make a duplicate of the DVD as a backup. I do duplicate on a computer by copying one DVD to another.

K3B does this easily. Just tell it to copy a DVD. xfburn doesn't offer this option. It looks like Brasero would do it, but Brasero won't work on VL7. I'm trying to keep my VL7 installations free of KDE. So I have to start Windows and burn the copy there with Nero.

When I say I'm willing to copy a DVD from the command line, I mean somebody tells me "use this command" and then gives me the exact command. I don't mean I have to figure out what modifiers to use, etc. I don't understand any of the stuff underlying the front ends and I don't want to understand it. I just want to click on "copy the DVD" or type one command that I don't have to puzzle out.
--GrannyGeek

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #172 on: August 07, 2011, 12:25:40 pm »

gg, I'll mention NeroLinux again since it seems like it will do what you want.  Last time  used NeroLinux on VL was NL3 on VL5.9 standard and no additional libs were needed. The down side is that it costs $$ but not too much. The plus side is that you can try it for free for 30 days I think, and the upgrade-from-trial cost is $16 I think - plus the interface should be mostly familiar to you. HTH! newt
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #173 on: August 07, 2011, 02:40:47 pm »

@GrannyGeek: Possible workaround.. I've used this for CDs, think it should be the same for DVD disks:
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/CD.iso bs=2048 conv=noerror,sync
This should create an iso on your hard disk which you can burn to disk.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2011, 06:29:28 pm »

@GrannyGeek: Possible workaround.. I've used this for CDs, think it should be the same for DVD disks:
Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/path/to/CD.iso bs=2048 conv=noerror,sync
This should create an iso on your hard disk which you can burn to disk.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I used your command line and it worked perfectly. After I created the ISO, I burned the ISO to DVD with xfburn. I tested the result with VLC and also in a standalone DVD player (connected to a TV). Perfect copy!

First I thought creating the ISO was an extra step, but then I realized that's what a graphical program does. Creating a DVD from the ISO is a very small and easy step that's done automatically from K3B, for example.

Did I thank you?<g> This is perfect and I don't need K3B, Brasero, or Nero for Linux. Super excellent.
--GrannyGeek

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #175 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:34 am »

There's another problem I'm having with Standard RC2 - sometimes all of a sudden the screen turns white and the system won't respond to anything except for a power down. I don't seem to be doing anything special right before this happens. The laptop is running pretty hot, though. However, nothing like this ever happened on VL6.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #176 on: August 08, 2011, 11:50:28 am »

There's another problem I'm having with Standard RC2 - sometimes all of a sudden the screen turns white and the system won't respond to anything except for a power down. I don't seem to be doing anything special right before this happens. The laptop is running pretty hot, though. However, nothing like this ever happened on VL6.

That sounds similar to a problem some of us have reported. I never got just a white screen, but VL7 would lose the keyboard and mouse and thus the ability to do anything. The only solution was to press the power button.

Someone suggested adding the following to LILO. I tried it and it seemed to fix the problem. Haven't had a lockup since I made the change.
Append 'idle=poll' and/or 'maxcpus=1' to the (lilo) kernel parameters

I'm currently using maxcpus=1. My processor is a single-core Sempron but maybe it needed a reminder. I first tried idle=poll and it also solved the lockup problem.

You might give it a try. If it doesn't help, you can always remove it.
--GrannyGeek

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #177 on: August 08, 2011, 01:03:24 pm »

I get a destructive, complete, freeze about once every other day when using Libreoffice 3.4.2.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #178 on: August 08, 2011, 03:22:10 pm »

Thanks a bunch GrannyGeek.
I remember your earlier posts about the problem you were having, but I didn't put two and two together Wink
This white screen lockup usually doesn't happen that often, so I'd rather put up with it then use idle=poll, which from what you wrote, makes cpu run hot. Since my cpu is dual core, I appended maxcpus=2 to the lilo kernel parameters.
Now all that's left is to wait and see what happens.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #179 on: August 08, 2011, 06:58:53 pm »

I don't know if I am dual core or not or if so, or if not, what that would mean.  I am doing some heavy work that is, sadly, a bit too much for google docs, so I installed the latest LibreOffice (SlackBuild)  the other day and have been on it (lowriter) almost non-stop for 3 or 4 days.  I am through with that heavy work, at least for a while and I bet the computer does not do another one of those destructive freezes until I resume the heavy libreoffice project.   

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14
  Print  

Jump to: