VectorLinux
August 31, 2014, 12:08:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports  (Read 71694 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #180 on: August 08, 2011, 07:32:37 pm »

I can confirm this. Also, I don't get audio back after resume (I am still on in RC1 though), it used to work in the Betas. Anybody know how to reset the alsa system / sound driver (or whatever) without a reboot?

as root:
Code:
service alsa force-restart

something like that if I remeber correctly
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #181 on: August 10, 2011, 09:41:22 pm »

I finally got around to installing Brasero on my Sempron desktop. It complained about missing /usr/lib/libgmime-2.4.so.2, so I made a symlink from /usr/lib/libgmime-2.6.so.0.507.0. Brasero then started without complaint. I haven't yet tried to burn anything and I don't have any DVDs to copy right now. However, I may try burning VL7 Light Live alpha and we'll see how things go.

I guess the missing /usr/lib/libgmime-2.4.so.2 dependency should be fixed in the package. VL7 Standard has libgmime-2.6 installed but Brasero thinks it wants libgmime-2.4. I didn't want to install the older version that I think puts it there, being afraid to mess up the system. I'm hoping the symlink will be enough to keep it happy.
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek, I have build brasero-2.30.0. It is in the testing repo. Can you test it for me?
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2011, 10:09:36 am »

Thanks a bunch GrannyGeek.
I remember your earlier posts about the problem you were having, but I didn't put two and two together Wink
This white screen lockup usually doesn't happen that often, so I'd rather put up with it then use idle=poll, which from what you wrote, makes cpu run hot. Since my cpu is dual core, I appended maxcpus=2 to the lilo kernel parameters.
Now all that's left is to wait and see what happens.

After 3 days I haven't had the white screen problem. Moreover, it seems that my CPU is running quite a bit cooler now, especially when idle(it didn't make any difference before, if the cpu was actually busy or not, it was hot all the same).

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:23 am »

GrannyGeek, I have build brasero-2.30.0. It is in the testing repo. Can you test it for me?

I installed it, replacing 2.30.2. It started without error messages but right now I don't have a DVD to copy. I'll see if I can find one I wouldn't mind having an additional copy of. Will let you know how it goes, and thanks for building it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2011, 11:21:36 am »

I discovered a problem with Gimp 2.6.11 today. If I try to pull out guidelines, Gimp stops responding. I can't click on the menu or use keyboard commands to do anything. This happened several times. Each time I ended Gimp with ps -e and the kill command for the process.

Has anyone else encountered this? Gimp is MAJOR for me, so it has to work. This happened on my Sempron desktop. I'll try it on my Athlon desktop the next time I start it up.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »

I discovered a problem with Gimp 2.6.11 today. If I try to pull out guidelines, Gimp stops responding. I can't click on the menu or use keyboard commands to do anything. This happened several times. Each time I ended Gimp with ps -e and the kill command for the process.

Has anyone else encountered this? Gimp is MAJOR for me, so it has to work. This happened on my Sempron desktop. I'll try it on my Athlon desktop the next time I start it up.
--GrannyGeek

Rats! I just tried it on my Athlon 64 desktop and I have the same problem. If I try to draw out a guideline, Gimp becomes unusable. Can't click on a menu, can't use a keyboard command to do anything, can't close by right-clicking on the XFce Panel icon.

New information: if I wait a few minutes, I get back the ability to click on menus, close from the Panel icon, etc. I can also place a guideline by using Image menu, Guides, New Guide, and once the guideline is on the picture, I can grab it and move it if the Move tool is active. This is true on both computers.

This sounds wrong to me. It's not supposed to work that way. Is anyone else encountering this issue with Gimp? I'm glad to know I can kludge my way through it, but still....
--GrannyGeek

edwinsage

formerly KamikaziFreak

« Reply #186 on: August 12, 2011, 07:55:52 pm »

We've got this fancy new panel thing, but there's no htop?  I also can't seem to get cpu-graph or network-monitor plugins to work for the old panel; they're not in the list, they're not in the repository, and I even compiled the source and installed it and it still doesn't show up in the Add New Items list.

I'm also having the issue on a couple of workstation computers that the Master volume control has no effect on the volume, only the PCM works.  Not sure whether that's a Vector thing or not.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #187 on: August 13, 2011, 07:39:43 am »

I have htop and use it often.  I probably got it from the repositories. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #188 on: August 13, 2011, 09:23:11 am »

--GrannyGeek
I tested Gimp (latest repo version??) in VL7 Light Live A5 and did not run across the guideline problems you did in this VL7 Std RC2. I started gimp, created a new empty image file, and added many guidelines with no problem and all menus remained working. If I can find some time I'll try this again in Std RC2 and report my results.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #189 on: August 13, 2011, 10:46:26 am »

Thanks a bunch GrannyGeek.
I remember your earlier posts about the problem you were having, but I didn't put two and two together Wink
This white screen lockup usually doesn't happen that often, so I'd rather put up with it then use idle=poll, which from what you wrote, makes cpu run hot. Since my cpu is dual core, I appended maxcpus=2 to the lilo kernel parameters.
Now all that's left is to wait and see what happens.

After 3 days I haven't had the white screen problem. Moreover, it seems that my CPU is running quite a bit cooler now, especially when idle(it didn't make any difference before, if the cpu was actually busy or not, it was hot all the same).

Just got another one of those lockups last night. This time the screen turned black instead of white, like it used to.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
edwinsage

formerly KamikaziFreak

« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2011, 08:56:29 pm »

I just managed to screw something up seriously after trying to run Tremulous.  The system locked up (which has happened every time I try to start up any fullscreen game), probably a kernel panic again, and so I had to power off the system.  When I started it back up this time, XFCE won't load and instead logging in just gives me a black screen with a mouse cursor.  Other WMs work, but that brings me to the second problem...

I can't set the X keyboard.  When I try to do so in vasm, I get the error "Cannot find X11 keymap list".  I use Dvorak, so it's a real pain.  XFCE has its own setting, separate from the X config, but without XFCE I'm stuck going to the CLI to type things.  This also happens at the user login (Why are there no clickable user icons?)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2011, 09:08:37 pm »

--GrannyGeek

Rats! I just tried it on my Athlon 64 desktop and I have the same problem. If I try to draw out a guideline, Gimp becomes unusable. Can't click on a menu, can't use a keyboard command to do anything, can't close by right-clicking on the XFce Panel icon.

New information: if I wait a few minutes, I get back the ability to click on menus, close from the Panel icon, etc. I can also place a guideline by using Image menu, Guides, New Guide, and once the guideline is on the picture, I can grab it and move it if the Move tool is active. This is true on both computers.

This sounds wrong to me. It's not supposed to work that way. Is anyone else encountering this issue with Gimp? I'm glad to know I can kludge my way through it, but still....
--GrannyGeek

OK, I am a little bit confused by "pull out guidelines". Maybe I'm not seeing this right, but what I did was drag cursor from the rulers and guidlines followed fine with no "hesitation" of what you described. Gimp is THE 1st application I check.  Would you please instruct me on how you are "pulling out guidlines" so that I can check into this further? Thanks
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:52 am »

--GrannyGeek

--GrannyGeek

OK, I am a little bit confused by "pull out guidelines". Maybe I'm not seeing this right, but what I did was drag cursor from the rulers and guidlines followed fine with no "hesitation" of what you described. Gimp is THE 1st application I check.  Would you please instruct me on how you are "pulling out guidlines" so that I can check into this further? Thanks

Yes, your method is correct for "pull(ing) out guidelines". I tested this method on VL7LightLiveA5 and no problems; I then tested on VL7StdRC2 and have the same problem as GG (i.e. menus become nonfunctional). However, once the menus are nonfunctional, I've found that if I minimize the program to the task tray and restore it then the menus will work again - of course, no guides ever get "pulled out" during this process.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:17:29 am by newt » Logged
solex

« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2011, 05:36:09 pm »

Sorry if this has been posted before but any idea when 7.0 will be released?

Been using it for a few months now on my x61 and have absolutely no problems.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2011, 08:08:17 am »

Yes, your method is correct for "pull(ing) out guidelines". I tested this method on VL7LightLiveA5 and no problems; I then tested on VL7StdRC2 and have the same problem as GG (i.e. menus become nonfunctional). However, once the menus are nonfunctional, I've found that if I minimize the program to the task tray and restore it then the menus will work again - of course, no guides ever get "pulled out" during this process.

So you did experience the same problem. I also recovered the ability to click on menus, icons, etc. after a bit. Since it doesn't happen in alpha 5, I hope the problem can be tracked down before VL7 Standard Final. If not, at least I can place a guideline through the Image menu and then I can grab it and move it exactly where I want it, so we do have a working kludge.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: