VectorLinux
April 19, 2015, 05:42:36 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I need help to install Vector 7.0 for a dual boot with Windows XP  (Read 226 times)
tlcmd

« on: April 11, 2015, 11:49:12 pm »

Howdy, I am a noobie to VectorLinux and just discovered it yesterday. Please put up with someone who need really simple instructions.

In searching for a Linux distro with a small footprint, VectorLinux was recommended. I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad with a 1.1 GHz Chip, 384 mb of RAM, and a 20 Gig HDD. This dual boot computer is to demonstrate to several friends that a small Linux Distro can run very well on an "Antique" computer alongside Windows.

I have searched for instructions as to how to do a dual install and not found any.

Would someone please refer me to a link which shows the simplest way to install VectorLinux for a dual boot with Windows XP?

Thank you,
tlcmd
mjstone

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 05:31:14 am »

Howdy, I am a noobie to VectorLinux and just discovered it yesterday. Please put up with someone who need really simple instructions.

In searching for a Linux distro with a small footprint, VectorLinux was recommended. I have an ancient IBM Thinkpad with a 1.1 GHz Chip, 384 mb of RAM, and a 20 Gig HDD. This dual boot computer is to demonstrate to several friends that a small Linux Distro can run very well on an "Antique" computer alongside Windows.

I have searched for instructions as to how to do a dual install and not found any.

Would someone please refer me to a link which shows the simplest way to install VectorLinux for a dual boot with Windows XP?

Thank you,
tlcmd

Vector works really well on  an "ancient IBM Thinkpad".  I have it installed on one a little bit more "ancient" than yours.  And yes it is multi-boot.  My ThinkPad is a 600.  I've got the same amount of ram and HD as you have, but its only a 400 Mhz Pentium II CPU.  I'd recommend using VL Light instead of the Standard package.  There are an number of small Desktops that work with Xwindows that you can chose from when you install VL.  I like the LXDE desktop.

When you install Linux you need to make sure you create at least 2 partitions for it.  One partition is the swapfile partition.  I like to put this at the very end of the drives free space.  I would recommend about a 512 MB swap partition.  If you make a root partition, always called "/", of about 3.5 GB you should still have enough room for XP  to run ok.  Other partitions can be created but are not necessary  for Linux to run.  If the space isn't already free for these partitions you will have to resize your XP partition.  The VL install should be able to do this for you.

In order for linux to load you will chose between LILO and GRUB as your boot loader.  I've used both on various installations that I'm currently using.  My IBM TP600 has LILO and my Gateway is using GRUB.  Either loader will see your XP partition and put them in its boot menu.  My Gateway has a rescue partition that has the factory restore software in it and GRUB even sees this partition and adds it to the menu.

VL saw all the hardware on my TP600 without a problem.  My nic is a pcmcia card, a Cisco 350, and yours might be an internal card or something that is Windows only.  This sort of thing happened with my HP Mini.  The ndis-wrapper program solved this for me.  When it comes to hardware on all the different systems I've put Linux on, I've been very impressed with VLs compatibility.

MJ

HP Mini 1126NR - Intel Atom N270 @1.6Ghz - 2GB Ram - 64GB SSD
  VL7.0 Light  LXDE

IBM ThinkPad 600 - Intel Pentium II @400Mhz - 288MB Ram - 40GB Hard Drive - Cisco Aironet 350
  VL7.0 Light LXDE

Gateway MD7818u Laptop - Intel Core Duo 2Ghz - 4GB Ram - 500GB Hard Drive  VL7.0-64 LXDE
tlcmd

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:52:51 am »

MJ,
Thanks for the encouragement. The info you gave me was wonderful and I will try VL Lite as you suggested. Here are my questions and problems. Remember, I warned you I was not the sharpest knife in the block.

1) There are no instructions given as to how to install VL. I've run it off the disk, but cannot find any instruction as to how to install it. Is there a link somewhere to which you can direct me?

2) I have a Partition master disk so I may partition the HDD prior to the install. Is that advisable or does VL Lite have a partition-er built in?

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
tlcmd
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2015, 11:18:14 am »

If you are running VL off the CD, you are using the Live version.  Last week when I was looking at it, I saw an Install button under Menu/System.  You can tell it where you wanted it installed to.  I didn't need to use the partitioning under Install - not even sure if it is there - but Gparted (again under System) is in the Live version and I have used it on several occasions with out difficulty.  One thing I found the hard way with Windows 7 is that I needed the Windows CD before I could use Windows after I resized its partition.  Don't know if that applies to XP but would like to know as I may be doing an XP soon.  (I haven't used Partition Master so can't advise on it.)
During the installation process it will ask you a lot of questions.  Most of them are pretty easy to understand.  Just don't get in a hurry through them.  I have fallen victim to that many times, especially when setting Users and Passwords - make sure you have "saved" it BEFORE you hit Next.
Hope this helps.
Bruce

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
mjstone

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2015, 02:00:33 pm »

Like StrayBit said you are runnning from a live CD version.  Download the VL Light install version and burn it to disk then install from that.

MJ

HP Mini 1126NR - Intel Atom N270 @1.6Ghz - 2GB Ram - 64GB SSD
  VL7.0 Light  LXDE

IBM ThinkPad 600 - Intel Pentium II @400Mhz - 288MB Ram - 40GB Hard Drive - Cisco Aironet 350
  VL7.0 Light LXDE

Gateway MD7818u Laptop - Intel Core Duo 2Ghz - 4GB Ram - 500GB Hard Drive  VL7.0-64 LXDE
tlcmd

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 02:12:53 pm »

Thanks, MJ. I have burned the cd of VL lite. A final (I hope) question: should I partition the HDD before I even try to install VL lite to preserve my Windows Partition?

Thanks,
tlcmd
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 06:25:40 am »

You can partition the drive ahead of time, or you can do it during, using the included gparted program. Whatever you prefer.

If you have more questions, do not hesitate to ask here. Smiley
tlcmd

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 07:30:41 am »

Thank all y'all. Will let you know of my success or failure.
tlcmd
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: