VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: installing from hdd .iso  (Read 222 times)

crum

installing from hdd .iso
« on: May 16, 2015, 01:58:59 pm »

Downloaded .iso to /home/Downloads installed previous usb install booted install screen came up no mention of would you like to istall frrom.iso. Procedure problem?

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: installing from hdd .iso
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2015, 03:01:02 pm »

The iso needs to be in the root directory (top level), as in /VL-<iso-name>.iso
Of course, you have to use the root account to put it there.

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2015, 04:28:40 pm »

And NOT in the root directory of a partition you're going to install to.
ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz

roarde

• Vectorian
  • move the needle
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 02:29:42 am »

In the case where /home is on its own partition, and the intent is to install to a new / and keep /home as is: I think putting the iso at /home/the.iso will work -- that is the top-level directory of that partition. Haven't tried it.
Robert
VL Light RC 1.9

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 04:02:27 am »

In the case where /home is on its own partition, and the intent is to install to a new / and keep /home as is: I think putting the iso at /home/the.iso will work -- that is the top-level directory of that partition. Haven't tried it.

It should. I haven't tested it that way either as I have tons of other partitions I generally use. I'll give 'er a shot on the next RC release.

crum

Gslapt
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 06:42:55 am »

Checked packages,only have vlcore enabled each package tripled.

Sorry wrong section should be in testing. Don't know how to move it.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 06:51:30 am by crum »

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 09:38:51 am »

It should. I haven't tested it that way either as I have tons of other partitions I generally use. I'll give 'er a shot on the next RC release.

Just tested this and it won't work as the GUI installer will not allow you to select the partition that contains the ISO to be assigned as /home. The partition that contains the ISO will be missing from the list that allows you to assign /home to the partition.

wigums

• Packager
  • Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 06:23:52 pm »

i just dd it to a usb stick and be done with it. easy shmeasy
When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty.

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2015, 05:59:47 pm »

Just tested this and it won't work as the GUI installer will not allow you to select the partition that contains the ISO to be assigned as /home. The partition that contains the ISO will be missing from the list that allows you to assign /home to the partition.

Nice catch, I wonder if we can do better than that. I remember we did this or a reason though :D
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2015, 07:35:59 pm »

The reason the installer does not allow this is because if the user accidentally sets the partition hosting the is for formatting, we end up with no install source and a bored system

crum

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2015, 06:01:00 am »

@MoE-inx. Perhaps a tutoial in How To section as to how it should be done.

retired1af

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2015, 06:51:26 am »

Put blank DVD into drive.

Start burning program such as Brasero.

Burn image to disc.

Boot from disc.

Yes, it's that simple.

crum

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2015, 07:47:28 am »

@retired1af   Thanks. Actually I like dd SD cards take up very little space and reusable,don't have any R/W DVDs. Brasero does good job though.

crum

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:22:12 pm »

ARGH!! Been looking for .iso selection at boot screen,you know where option to press enter or enter modifications,not after loading to blink. ARGH!!

Let  us make this closed and resolved no more discussion. TO BOOT FROM ISO DOWNLOAD TO / USE PREVIOUS BOOT MEDIA TO GET TO BLINK SCREEN CHOICE WILL BE SHOWN! Thank you.