VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 01:36:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is there any easy gui-based way to work with floppy disks?  (Read 59 times)
daftslacker

« on: September 01, 2014, 11:07:39 am »

Is there a way with the default xfce/xfwm setup to have a floppy disk automatically mount when you insert it, and have a floppy icon to appear on the desktop (which points to /media/floppy or where ever the disk is mounted)? Then right-click and click unmount when you're done with it (or maybe drag to trash) and then the icon disappears. Maybe we can't make an icon automagically appear when we insert a disk but maybe there's a way to refresh the desktop or do something to have the system check for media presence in the floppy drive and mount it if it's there.

I've read some documentation which says that there should be a floppy icon in the left pane in Thunar, but I get no icon. There's an entry for the floppy drive in fstab: /dev/fd0  /mnt/floppy  auto  defaults,noauto,user  0 0, and I tried mounting manually in the terminal, but I can't get it to mount in the terminal or in Thunar. I have a symbolic link at /media/floppy whose target is /media/floppy0 which is a folder. What are all these? I'm presently only familiar with the volume location (e.g. /dev/fd0) and the mount point (e.g. /mnt/floppy).
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 08:12:20 pm »

In vector 7.0 I recall having some issue getting the floppy drive to work...think udisks was required try this in terminal

udisks --mount /dev/fd0 and udisks --unmount /dev/fd0.

As I recall I used the xfe file manager and fluxbox and used the following toggles

udisks --mount /dev/fd0 & xfe /mnt/floppy
udisks --unmount /dev/fd0 & killall xfe

have a look here at the bottom for thunar

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=16754.0

Im using the current rc for vector 7.1 and have a floppy drive. There is an icon on the desktop and if I insert a floppy and double click the icon, it opens the file manager and shows me the content..I can then right click the icon and eject or unmount. or can mount unmount in the file manager. I am not sure if auto detecting at insertion is possible..floppy is rather dated and I am happy with the current availability out of the box. I did not have to do anything but use it.

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: