VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: no sound  (Read 346 times)

slurt

no sound
« on: July 08, 2016, 12:49:47 am »

Installed vector on laptop and now no sound. Need help, no idea what problem is, Thsnks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: no sound
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:35 am »

First troubleshooting step is to open a terminal and run command "alsamixer". Make sure all channels are un-muted: if the lower box of a column shows "MM", select it using the right/left arrow keys and press "M" to un-mute. Also use the up/down arrow keys to make sure the volume is turned up.

slurt

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 03:48:05 pm »

so alsamixer goes to chip: ATI R6xx HDMI and there is only one mixing channel called S/PDIF and it's 00 and pressing arrow buttons have no effect on it. I hit F6 and get Card: HDA ATI SB and I max out everything there - still no sound on youtube. But wait I get low but some sound watching  an avi video local file on my desktop. So there is sound...but none on youtube w/Firefox.

Also flash is out dated and can not be activated but I don't see were Vector allows me to update to satisfy Firefox. I want the equivalent of ubuntu's apt-get update, and then apt-get dist-upgrade. i did slapt-get -update,then slapt-get -upgrade. But still FF is complaing my flash is not up to date. I want the most upgrade system I can get providing it's stable...

Anyway, no sound with Firefox  and youtube and I don't know why...

i just did slapt-get -dist-upgrade...new to Vector, trying to figure this out, thanks

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 05:03:05 pm »

Latest update to flashplayer has not made it into the VL repos yet. If you want to update it manually, follow instructions here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=18866.0

I believe HDMI volume will only have an effect if you have a display with speakers connected via an HDMI port.

Just to make sure, volume is also turned up in flash player? Also check the volume slider in your other audio/video player. Other than that, I don't have any more ideas at this time.

slurt

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:54:32 pm »

i did flash update and enforced that FF uses flash for youtube and sound worked. but can't login to vector now, the username screen completely freezes.

So I'm gone. It's a ASUS AspireOne 722 laptop and Vector and it are just not playing nice together so I'm going back to Xubuntu...