VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 01:20:22 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SD card problems in 6.0 [solved]  (Read 2394 times)
Kimdino

« on: June 26, 2011, 03:21:11 am »

Hi folks,
I am unable to use my SD card reader. Several weeks ago on inserting an SD card the system popped up the 'What would you like to do with this..' window and all went as expected. At the end of the session I umounted the card and removed it. The next time I inserted a card there was no response from the system, nothing was shown in either syslog or dmesg to indicate the card insertion had been noticed.

Running 'sginfo -l', as root, shows:-
/dev/scd0 /dev/sr0 /dev/sda /dev/sdb
/dev/sg0 [=/dev/sda  scsi2 ch=0 id=0 lun=0]
/dev/sg1 [=/dev/sdb  scsi4 ch=0 id=0 lun=0]
/dev/sg2 [=/dev/scd0  scsi5 ch=0 id=0 lun=0]

This is the same regardless of whether the card has been inserted or not.

The card reader is built into the PC & connect via USB. 'lsusb' shows it as:-
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 0aec:3050 Neodio Technologies Corp. ND3050 8-in-1 Card Reader
When inserting the card the led on the readers front panel flashes. That appears to be the only response from the computer.

I do not know whether the system is using HAL or vl-Hot. How do I find out & what is involved in changing over to the alternative should this be the problem? Whichever, this has not been changed, unless the system changes itself, since before card insertion worked several weeks ago.

'cat /etc/vector-version' gives 6.0 KDE-Classic built on November 8, 2009. Kernel is '2.6.27.29kdg' (the only changes from stock were CPU optimising for my Phenom x4).

No other system has problems reading or writing to this card. It is a new 'brand X' 2Gb card & was last written to by an XP box and was subsequently read from by my Garmin GPSmap 450 with no problem.

Cheers, Kimdino
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 06:54:47 pm by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 04:02:12 am »

Monitor /var/log/messages as you insert the card, see if it gives you any clues (tail -f /var/log/messages, as root).
Kimdino

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 06:07:07 am »

Hi nightflier,

Just tried that, nothing showed up Sad

btw. Never realised about the follow switch on 'tail', that's a neat trick that'll save me a lot of fiddling about in the future.

Cheers, Kimdino
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 12:52:45 pm »

Looks like the system does not detect the insertion of the card. What happens if the card is present before you boot up?
Kimdino

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 01:15:33 pm »

The short answer is nothing at all. There is no 'sd?' or 'sg?' created in dev/ for it. I have had a nose through the logs but don't really know what I'm looking for, if there is anything there.

It behaves just as if the reader was dead but I have just booted the computer on a live CD in order to test the reader on another setup. When booted on Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) the reader works perfectly.

Cheers, Kimdino
« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 01:33:45 pm by Kimdino » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 02:08:26 pm »

Can you boot to the original kernel and see if the problem is there too?
Kimdino

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 01:16:13 am »

I'm sure I can, given enough time. I have been trying since you posted and seen plenty of failures. The change was made in Feb 2010 and I've done a lot of housekeeping since then. Are you able to point me to a copy of the kernel config file that would have been used, I don't want to get it through the repos as my crystal ball shows much confusion in GSlapt.

I have run 'make xconfig' and had a look through to check my current setup. Full USB and 'MMC/SD card support" are included, as is vfat. When I plug in my digital camera the system promptly recognises it as a generic USB mass storage device and responds appropriately.

Writing this brought to mind another test to try.
After a fresh boot I ran 'lsmod | grep usb' and discovered that the 'usb_storage' module was not loaded.
I then inserted a USB memory stick and reran 'lsmod | grep usb' and noted that 'usb_storage' had now been loaded.
I then inserted my SD card and KDE popped up the "2.0Gb Removeable Media" "What do you want to do" window.

This seems to hint that maybe the answer to my problems lies in doing something with 'modules.conf'? Unfortunately I'm a total dumbo in this area, what are your thoughts?

Cheers, Kimdino
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 03:12:43 am »

Kernels, modules and source can be found here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/
Specifically your kernel: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-6.0/kernels/kernel-2.6.27.29-i686-1vl60.tlz
You don't have to install the package, just extract the file using mc, xarchiver or similar.

You must have HAL enabled. On my machine (similar to yours but with vl-hot), no usb_storage module is used. I use an external USB card reader, and have to insert the cards before plugging in the reader. Adding cards with it plugged in does not work.

Kimdino

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:06:05 pm »

Hi nightflier,
Apologies for the long delay in getting back but work had me away on site for a few weeks.

I tried the stock kernel but it made no difference. It sounds like your setup is running the same as mine with the difference being that I am unable to unplug my (built in) card reader.

Anyway, I have discovered a simple workaround in plugging in a usb memory stick to trigger picking up the card and am happy to live with this.

Thanks for your help.
Cheers, Kimdino

PS How do I flag this as SOLVED?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 06:54:04 pm »

Glad you got it working.  Smiley

To mark threads as solved, you just edit the title of the original post. I'll do it for you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: