VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 08:44:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: re-installing xp on dual boot of vl6.0 soho  (Read 956 times)
franklin1k

« on: July 02, 2011, 11:01:29 am »

I am running VL 6.0 soho and XP as a dual boot on separate HDs. After two months xp has issues to where a clean install is needed. On a normal single boot of xp i would nuke both mbr and partition with a program writing zeros., then install xp. what would I need to do to re-install xp and keep my VL hd intact? Making a backup of the xp mbr could copy a virus over. Would running VL boot cd rebuild a new grub on the xp mbr?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:28:17 pm »

Assumption: You installed VL after XP and you use GRUB boot loader.

Go ahead and re-install XP to the same drive it is on now. It will take over the MBR and wipe out any "competition", but your files will be safe on the separate hard drive.

Then boot from the VL install CD, but use the "linux root=/dev/xdx ro" option (replace /dev/xdx with actual location of VL). Once logged in to VL as root, re-install GRUB to write the new multiboot MBR.
franklin1k

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:54:50 pm »

right and right

thank you once again
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: