VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:14:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Twinkle  (Read 2036 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« on: July 24, 2011, 09:18:22 am »

I have been playing around with sip phones recently and have settled on Twinkle, using diamondcard.us to call land lines and cell phones.  Hata_ph's version of twinkle (in the VL7 repositories) works great.  Excepting conference calling, it does everything skype did (I think .... I am still learning it) plus some.  And, I understand, there is a way to add one other caller, which gives it a quasi-conference call ability.  And one can always get on diamondcard.us and use its conference facility. 

I cannot say the same thing about linphone or ekiga.  I first tried twinkle, but it wouldn't work (I had to buy a new router before twinkle would work right).  So I spent quite a bit of time with linphone and ekiga but never got either to work very well.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 04:51:20 pm »

Thanks for testing twinkle for VL7. Hope you enjoy it. Smiley

BTW, did ekiga work for you?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 08:55:08 am »

Ekiga worked, sort of, but never reached the voice quality of twinkle.  I probably have the wrong codecs or some such, but I tried ekiga quite a while before giving up as it's address feature is, as I see it, superior to twinkle's.  Twinkle though works so well that I suspect I won't be trying ekiga again.  I even figured out how to make a 3 way conference call on it.

john
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:13:44 pm by sledgehammer » Logged

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:07:18 pm »

Glad that it work for you...pls help to report what you think about the twinkle and ekiga in their own thread  Cool

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14670.0
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14404.0
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 09:02:47 pm »

Just tried Twinkle - it installed, and after a bit of head scratching I even got decent sound quality. Wink
Seems like a nice little program, except for the lack of video.
Also the last release dates back to 2009, which worries me.

I build and installed linphone from git(was getting the linux/videodev.h error with linphone 3.4.3 release), but couldn't get anywhere with sound - all I get is noice when I call an echo service.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

budulay,

I suspect your linphone problem has to do with the settings, especially the codec settings.  However, diamondcard tells me it is a bit buggy, so who knows.  I think ekiga has video so tried that a lot, but the sound quality was not good, probably because I didn't get the codecs right.  I don't know why, but twinkle worked great out of the box....the sound is better than a telephone. Far better.  I don't really miss the video, but if any of these (linphone, twinkle or ekiga) are going to compete effectively with skype, they will need easier setup and video.

John

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: