VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 09:59:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which browser?
Opera - 5 (33.3%)
Firefox - 6 (40%)
Midori - 1 (6.7%)
Dillo - 2 (13.3%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 feedback  (Read 22792 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: August 04, 2011, 06:16:27 am »

Please report your findings below. Thanks for being part of the testing process!  Smiley
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 11:27:41 pm »

Downloaded iso file gives correct md5sum yet burned CDs, 2 different ones
seem to have corrupted files. Times-out on udev one, the other on modules.

Will try another download early in the morning tomorrow, better broadband run.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 07:23:27 pm »

I made another download, took half the time this time. md5sum of iso file
again OK, however, on the burned CD trying to get md5sum again I get
only errors. Burning was at speed 3 on a brand new CD.

Booting from the CD took forever especially for Triggering udev events,
Setting system time and Caching fonts.

There was an error: /etc/rc.d/rc.S: line 293: 2796 Bus error ldconfig.

When it finally reached login I got:
/usr/bin/skill: Input/output error
/usr/bin/xmodmap: Input/output error.

Unable to start X.

There were as well some errors about Samba, cups and alsa.

I double checked my CD burning etc and all works fine and with other
install CDs I can get a md5sum.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 09:48:42 am »

Hi niteflier;

Couple days ago I downloaded the vl-light.iso alpha5, put is to a usb flash drive with unetbootin, and all that I tested went well.

I tested the live-upgrade function and it worked and added the text file to the desktop as it was designed to do.

Yesterday at vector's prompting I did it again, and low and behold got a new pcmanfm which works for mounting external media (flash usb, camera media etc.) NICE.

One note, I was quick on the trigger and "ctrl+alt+del'd" as soon as promted to make the new installation of pcmanfm take effect.  I think something was still at work in the background and was terminated prematurely as I lost the ability to launch a terminal, rox-terminal, linux-terminal, any command line interface.

I rebooted to the live usb, did it all again but this time waited for a good 30 - 40 seconds after the prompt to log out and back in.
Everything worked perfectly then.

Took the next step and installed.  Installation went very well, (took the familiar gslapt route).  Like the new additions.

After installation rebooted and had a black square on the screen (which was pcmanfm).  Think it was supposed to be running invisibly in the background but something was off.  It went away after logging off and back on again.

Probably have not told you anything you don't know already. So will do some more testing and report back later.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
caieng

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:35 am »

Hi nightflier,

Thanks for your time and trouble to make VL 7 lite-a5,  for testing.
download smooth, cd booted no problem,
Chose from the menu: "autoprobe for video", so the following comments may be skewed by having made the wrong choice here......

When the desktop appears, it looks satisfactory, albeit at mediocre resolution (I cannot tell by looking at it, without running a test, but it is either 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768, neither the default:  1280 x 1024, as I use every day, under windows 98 on the same computer.

I click on "READ-ME", and nothing happens.  Why?  Strange.

I click on "Install VL" nothing happens.  Wow.  Maybe there is something wrong with me?

So, I reboot, and this time, I choose "alternate autoprobe for video".  The screen resolution is definitely better, but still not 1280 x 1024. 

When I move the mouse, however, all kinds of activity jumps about on the screen in front of me.  It finally settles down, and I manage to close the half dozen applications which had spontaneously appeared.

I manage to invoke "Install VL", by RIGHT CLICKING the mouse, and then left clicking "Open".  This is clumsy at best, and, in my opinion, ill-suited to the hard earned philosophy of a user friendly system, enjoyed by VL.  Please change the default to SINGLE left CLICK ENABLED, which is intuitive and simple....

Those dissatisfied with the opportunity to act rationally, as if the year were 2011, not 1981, when we only had ONE button on a mouse, and were thus OBLIGED to use TWO successive clicks to distinguish one user input from another, that required only one click, will be sophisticated enough to REQUIRE themselves to click twice, but please stop penalizing those of us with arthritic disease:  we not only have old computers, we also have old brains, and very old joints.  THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION for requiring two clicks.  To do so, is both stupid, and inflexible, conveying exactly the opposite mentality from that outlined for MANY years, by the VL community.  One click is the standard.

BIG BUG:
I chose to adjust partitions, but when I reached the "Add user" sequence, the system just froze up, after I had entered a user name and password.  Mouse still moved, but had no impact on installer program:  could not close.
Rebooted, tried again, this time the big problem arose BEFORE I could enter the user name, right after clicking on add user.

I am stuck.

CAI ENG
raleeha

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:40:07 pm »

Hallo,

i downloaded the iso and checked with md5sum was o..then trying to install on a 350 mhz pentium..everything seems ok..but when i reboot after install it says me:

Code:
xauth:    file/home/test/.serverauth.2741 does not exist
         xinit:     giving up
         xinit:     unable to connect to X server: connection refused
         xinit:     server error
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 10:26:26 am by M0E-lnx » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:23:48 am »

raleeha, did you try to log in as root, or vl?
scififry

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:20:49 am »

Downloaded and burned the image to a CD today, did the usual (md5sum check...) and booted it... Now posting this with the fresh install.
Works fine so far, but I'm experiencing the ALSA problem at the live boot too.
The installation went really well, but values like keyboard layout, hostname, text mode screen resolution and the ALSA configurator aren't settable in the installer anymore.
Also, the autologin isn't as save as a normal login, because I don't want anybody to access files on my computer just by turning it on. I'll check out that file sharing option later, but why does it (according to Nightflier's post in Distro Releases) have world wide read AND write permissions? The concept basically sounds good (file sharing), but if anybody could write data onto my /home until it's full that'd be a problem.

Overall this new edition of VectorLinux looks like a huge heap forward into new ranges, thank you for creating it! Smiley

EDIT: When setting up ALSA at boot, it says [FAILED], but seems to work just fine anyways...

« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 12:28:46 pm by scififry » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 09:52:59 am »

Good observations.  Smiley

- Install/setup options: Since this is aimed at being installed, we should probably walk user through all available options. I'm thinking it may be best to do this on first boot after installation.
- Autologin: Can be turned on/off by root only. Currently set for convenience on the LiveCD.
- The file sharing setup is not what it would be in a final version, but this way we can verify that everything works.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 10:28:36 am »

Hi nightflier,

I manage to invoke "Install VL", by RIGHT CLICKING the mouse, and then left clicking "Open".  This is clumsy at best, and, in my opinion, ill-suited to the hard earned philosophy of a user friendly system, enjoyed by VL.  Please change the default to SINGLE left CLICK ENABLED, which is intuitive and simple....

Those dissatisfied with the opportunity to act rationally, as if the year were 2011, not 1981, when we only had ONE button on a mouse, and were thus OBLIGED to use TWO successive clicks to distinguish one user input from another, that required only one click, will be sophisticated enough to REQUIRE themselves to click twice, but please stop penalizing those of us with arthritic disease:  we not only have old computers, we also have old brains, and very old joints.  THERE IS NO JUSTIFICATION for requiring two clicks.  To do so, is both stupid, and inflexible, conveying exactly the opposite mentality from that outlined for MANY years, by the VL community.  One click is the standard.

CAI ENG

Nice... Here goes the single-click rant again.  This time it even implies that the dev is stupid for not having the same personal preferences or circumstances as (1) of the many (potential) users of the end product.  This is as ridiculous as saying we should all use wheelchairs because some users might need them.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:02:04 am »

Let's just hear people's preferences on single or double click. Add a brief and respectful explanation if you want to.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2011, 06:02:54 pm »

I prefer single-click to highlight and double-click to select. I've been doing it that way for the 22 years I've been using a mouse. It works that way in Windows, which I use about 10% of the time. It works that way in XFce, my preferred desktop environment.

KDE uses single click by default and that's one of the many reasons I don't like KDE.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
raleeha

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2011, 08:31:47 pm »

hi,

when i'm logged in as root and normal user it sows me same error message...maybe the installation went wrong...think i ll try it to reinstall

Code:
file/root/.serverauth.2161 does not exist

Code:
file/home/test/.serverauth.2119 does not exist

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2011, 08:43:43 pm »

hi,

when i'm logged in as root and normal user it sows me same error message...maybe the installation went wrong...think i ll try it to reinstall

Code:
file/root/.serverauth.2161 does not exist

Code:
file/home/test/.serverauth.2119 does not exist

or a bad burn.
Keep us posted on your findings
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2011, 08:53:38 pm »

The matter of single or double click is not a bug/problem. Is just a matter of preferences. Since you can change the setting I don't see it much a issue to discuss...better focus other real problem or bug  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: