VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 04:11:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which browser?
Opera - 5 (33.3%)
Firefox - 6 (40%)
Midori - 1 (6.7%)
Dillo - 2 (13.3%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 feedback  (Read 22777 times)
raleeha

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 09:34:32 pm »

but i did checked the burned cd and md5sum seems ok
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 09:39:13 pm by raleeha » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 09:52:08 pm »

raleeha, I'm working on another update which may help. How about waiting a day before re-installing? I'll post when update is ready.
raleeha

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 10:18:23 pm »

oh now is too late i just reinstalled it and now x starts very well .. but now i get any trouble alsa working .. dont know what was wrong in past installation ..

yes i will try to install next release

but thx for reply
caieng

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 12:22:06 pm »

Quote from: hata-ph
The matter of single or double click is not a bug/problem. Is just a matter of preferences. Since you can change the setting I don't see it much a issue to discuss...better focus other real problem or bug
Is there an intuitive method to change from single to double click?  Would I be able to hand my computer to someone who was completely unfamiliar with Linux (or Windows), and ask them to change the default from two to one?  What would they do?  How would they know to do taht?  How many clicks of the mouse would it take, to accomplish the change?  Would they be obliged to click TWICE, to find out how to change to click ONCE?

Granny: 
I also dislike KDE, but not because of the quantity of clicks.  Why, do you suppose, the architects of KDE, one of the all time biggest bloats in the OS world, chose SINGLE clicks, rather than TWO clicks?    (hint:  Was KDE developed BEFORE, or AFTER, the mouse acquired MORE THAN ONE button?).

Getting back to the issue of installation, I had been stuck after the installation program crashed at the "create user" phase.

Today, I started over, from the beginning.
THIS time, unlike the previous attempt, I chose to bypass the option to engage GParted, and proceeded directly to the next phase, i.e. selecting the option to proceed using the existing partition layout.

Holy Cow.  This time, THERE WAS NO error, during the creation of a user account.  Why it should work if skipping Gparted, and fail if invoking Gparted, is a mystery to me....
In my opinion, there is definitely a bug in the installation software.  Don't know where, but I do know that I whizzed right past the previous problem, and as I write this, the cdrom is installing the software.  I hope to get logged in, yet today!

Yeah!!!!

CAI ENG
(wish I knew how to change the bloody mouse to single click)
caieng

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 12:44:53 pm »

Quote from: nightflier
I'm working on another update which may help. How about waiting a day before re-installing? I'll post when update is ready.
nightflier:
a couple more bug report messages, hope they help:

1. Skip Gparted? wow, NOT A GOOD IDEA--the installer FAILED to format the partition, although, the installer software indicated that it would.....How do I know that?  Well, unintentionally, I assigned the normal screen resolution (1280 x 1024x32 bit color for Windows 98), oops, that caused a catastrophic failure, "blue screen of death".  Then, when I SKIPPED GParted, on starting over, the installation appeared to go smoothly, but, upon rebooting, BOOM, the same blue screen of death appeared, though I had not selected that resolution, which appears to exceed the capabilities of xorg.

2.  I found out what was wrong, with the "add user" routine.  At the risk of receiving all kinds of hostile rejoinders, this is ANALOGOUS to my "rant" about single click versus multiple clicks.

Why similar:  Well, I insist on LOGIC, and others prefer TRADITION.  I am disinterested in how things HAVE BEEN DONE, and more interested in doing things in a rational, systematic fashion.

In this case, as with the single click business, I employ a single character for the user name.  I can expect HOWLS of disapproval from the many, many forum members who are accustomed to the tedium of having both a letter AND a number included in the user name.  This is AGAIN, another ANCIENT tradtion, that harkens back to yesteryear, in the bad old days, I remember all too well, in the 1960's, when we had a computer with a hundred users.  ONE computer, with a hundred users.  Yes, in that environment, we needed more than a single character user name.

We don't need that today.  The "error", or "bug" in this marginal installation software, is the FAILURE of the installer to accept a single character as input.  This is a FATAL error, since I will not use, ANY distro, that OBLIGES more than one character..... VL light can conform to my DEMAND, or I can look elsewhere....

cheers,
CAI ENG
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 01:13:45 pm »

VL light can conform to my DEMAND, or I can look elsewhere....

cheers,
CAI ENG
WTF! ....  Undecided Undecided I'm sure Nightflier is shaking in fear! Wink
Interesting, 'cuz looking @ the poll on this thread, looks like your pitch about single click being more intuitive is not getting anywhere.  Besides, I've already told you how to change your preferences on your setup... You may think it's not "intuitive", but you can have your "intuitive" environment after about 4 clicks.  Get over youself dude.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 01:16:18 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:07 pm »

The formatting step that kicks in if one skips gparted is a new addition, and it does look like it causes problems. I'm thinking it may have something to do with disc syncing, needing time to update the new disk layout.

For the smoothest installation, do not skip the gparted step. But, for those who did, by doing so, you have given valuable feedback.   Smiley

There is no limitation on a single character user name, I do it all the time for quick testing.

Again, as mentioned in the announcement, this is Alpha software, with lots of new code (and bugs) in it. Expect more.
By testing and reporting, your current pain will be your gain later on!  Grin
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2011, 07:55:57 pm »

I made another download, however, seem to be unable to get a correcty
burned CD. Again md5sum of the CD gives errors. On booting all runs well
until it reaches usr.xzm when it says it cannot open modules. It continues
with error reporting. Logging-in shows there is no /usr and no /var directory.

Other recently burnded CDs give correct md5sum. What could be the failure
for this Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 not to burn correctly? What could
I do to check where the problem is?
gnomic

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2011, 08:43:57 pm »

Ah, I see the person calling himself cai eng is here. Perhaps it would be injudicious to call him a troll, maybe he just has too much time on his hands which he spends splitting hairs on Linux forums. Anybody wishing to be bored to stupefaction need merely search on 'cai eng linux forums'. File under ignore for the most part imho.

About wrong md5sum for an iso from Pita - I haven't downloaded Light alpha 5, so can't comment on the quality there, but I had no problem with alpha 4. Assuming you have a good download verified by the md5sum, if the burned disc is no good then you presumably have a problem with your burner, or with your media, or with the interaction of the drive and disc. Some drives dislike some media. Have you tried using another drive to burn? Haven't reread all of your posts about this today before posting now, are you by any chance using a CD-RW - this sometimes causes problems. Often if a burn is bad this shows up by looking at the contents of the files on the disc - text files may not open for example, or their contents are corrupted. Maybe wait for the next iso?

Have you tried wget for downloading? This may be more reliable than using a browser. It's a cli programme but there are various gui wrappers for it depending on what distro or desktop you are using.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2011, 12:19:39 am »

About wrong md5sum for an iso from Pita - I haven't downloaded Light alpha 5, so can't comment on the quality there, but I had no problem with alpha 4. Assuming you have a good download verified by the md5sum, if the burned disc is no good then you presumably have a problem with your burner, or with your media, or with the interaction of the drive and disc. Some drives dislike some media. Have you tried using another drive to burn? Haven't reread all of your posts about this today before posting now, are you by any chance using a CD-RW - this sometimes causes problems. Often if a burn is bad this shows up by looking at the contents of the files on the disc - text files may not open for example, or their contents are corrupted. Maybe wait for the next iso?

Have you tried wget for downloading? This may be more reliable than using a browser. It's a cli programme but there are various gui wrappers for it depending on what distro or desktop you are using.

Thanks! My burning problem apparently was solved. I run a laser lens cleaner
disk which is so seldom used that I almost could not find it.
After that I got a good burn. To download I always use either wget or prozilla.

First impression of LIGHT-Live: great. Grin
caieng

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »

Quote from: nightflier
There is no limitation on a single character user name, I do it all the time for quick testing.
Thanks.

I attempted installation, twice, and both times, used a single character, and both times the installer software froze.

CAI ENG
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »

Which character did you try to use?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 08:17:02 pm »

New update available. Use the "Upgrade System" on the desktop of user "vl" to download and apply (or run /sbin/do_upgrade as root). On a virgin system you will have to run it twice.

Highlights: A big thank you to roarde. He modified the live installer so that skipping gparted should not produce the errors it did before. System upgrade mechanism refined (but you won't see any difference on the surface).
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2011, 11:36:36 pm »

Here I am sitting in a puddle of my own sweat looking at this beautiful icy
picture of VL7-LIGHT-installed and feel great.

Installation went smooth and took about 15 minutes, except when the
installation progress bare showed I left and when I came back after a few
minutes that window had gone. I could see that the CD was working and
df showed loading progress. Suddenly the lilo window came up.
Rest is history.

On first boot the icon for upgrade showed. I used it and I think 2 programs
were upgraded, PCman and a library. Then logout and login that upgrade
icon is gone.

How does one get rid of this to me obnoxious speed dial in Opera?

Further testing to follow.

Menu-System-Manage Printing did not open Opera. However, in Opera
http://localhost:631/admin opened and I was able in good VL-LIGHT fashion
to configure my 2 printers, Epson as USB-unknown and Brother. Epson printing
OK for Brother I have to install the drivers first. Sledgehammer please take note!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 12:21:02 am by Pita » Logged
raleeha

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 02:28:12 am »

i got illegal instruction while im starting pidgin Shocked

Code:
gdb --args pidgin -n -m
GNU gdb (GDB) 7.2
Copyright (C) 2010 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i586-slackware-linux".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/pidgin...(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) r
Starting program: /usr/bin/pidgin -n -m
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/gdb/auto-load/usr/lib/libgobject-2.0.so.0.2800.7-gdb.py", line 9, in <module>
    from gobject import register
  File "/usr/share/glib-2.0/gdb/gobject.py", line 3, in <module>
    import gdb.backtrace
ImportError: No module named backtrace
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 0xb404fb70 (LWP 11311)]

Program received signal SIGILL, Illegal instruction.
0xb31f9b0b in ?? () from /usr/lib/libcvaux.so.2.1
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: