VectorLinux
November 26, 2014, 04:33:20 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which browser?
Opera - 5 (33.3%)
Firefox - 6 (40%)
Midori - 1 (6.7%)
Dillo - 2 (13.3%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 feedback  (Read 23521 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 04:10:13 am »

Pita and raleeha: please both run the "Upgrade System" until you get a message "Testing only, no changes made". That would indicate that update 3 is installed and working. You can check /etc/vector-version to see where you are.

The upgrade icon should be on the desktop, but if not, run "/sbin/do_upgrade" as root.

Opera startup settings are found in "Opera > Settings > Preferences > General Tab" (kb shortcut Ctrl-F12).

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:42 am »

Polls seem like a good way of getting a feel for user preferences.
Please vote in the current one, subject startup services.
This way, Light becomes YOUR distro.  Smiley

Result of the first poll is attached.

Edit: I just realized we need two votes for this one. If you voted once for Print, go back and give your opinion on File Sharing.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 02:43:24 pm by nightflier » Logged
Compact

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 08:20:41 am »

I mentioned this already in VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2 Bug Reports

PLOP booting doesn't work anymore

One of the strong things of VectorLinux (VL6.0-light-live-final) was for me the fact
that it was able to boot and run, with the use of PLOP Boot Manager, from usb devices where
the mainboard bios itself can't boot from.
This possibility seems to have vanished in VL7.0-std-live-rc2. For now Vector is not able
to find the livecd.sgn file anymore. And this is very pitty because there are not many distro's
who worked together with PLOP right out of the box. Vector was one of the very 'seldom' ones.

Same with Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5. It can't find the livecd.sgn no more while VL6.0-light-live-final
does find it very well. My question is. Will this PLOP-booting be possible in the final version of Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live ?
Or is this possibility dropped ?

Friendly Greetings, Compact
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 08:34:57 am »

Compact, do you know the exact requirements for PLOP? We'll make it happen if we can.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 12:43:02 pm »

I burned a CD for Light Live alpha but at this time I have no interest in installing it on my hard drive. My main interest was in seeing if it would boot on all my systems and how well hardware was identified. The CD did boot on my three comuters and loading completed. Video looked okay on the desktops but I didn't investigate to see what was actually installed. I did run the update but this was for the uninstalled Light. I don't recall what happened on the Athlon but on the Sempron I lost icons and had just a gray desktop (menus functioning) and I couldn't get icons back. Okay, good-bye!

Amazingly, the CD did boot on my Dell laptop, whose CD/DVD drive is quite flaky and often refuses to boot a CD. It actually got as far as the screen that suggested commands but there was no prompt to log in. X also did not start. I was basically stuck there. That laptop with the Brookside graphics was a video nightmare when I first started using it in Linux a year or two ago and it still acts weird now and then, so I wasn't expecting smooth sailing. VESA didn't work when I first tried it a year or two ago. The fact that the CD was able to boot was a big plus in my book and I hope I'll eventually be able to get farther than that.

I trust we'll have a REAL VL7 Light and won't be stuck with just the Live version. I've never been fond of LiveCDs. To me they're just something for seeing if a distro tolerates your hardware and they're handy when you're traveling and going to be using someone else's computer. It really kind of drives me crazy when some people on this board automatically install the Live version to their hard drive. Why not go for the real thing? I think it's the pernicious influence of Ubuntu.
--GrannyGeek
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 03:20:06 pm by GrannyGeek » Logged

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 12:51:38 pm »

Result of the first poll is attached.

Okay. I have to ask it. HOW do you change one-click or two with a few mouse clicks? You can't do it in XFce. The only thing you can change is whether Thunar will need a single click or double click to activate something. It doesn't apply to the whole system. 

Light alpha is using IceWM I think. I know Ice offers tons of customizations so maybe you can choose a system-wide single click in IceWM. But if it does, I've never encountered it--haven't looked, either, which might explain my results.

So pray tell, how do you change it with a few mouse clicks???
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:33 pm »

How does one get rid of this to me obnoxious speed dial in Opera?

Um, speed dial has been in Opera for several versions. You're first complaining now???

What do you find obnoxious about it? I consider it one of Opera's best features. If you don't like it, just ignore it. It doesn't do anything unless you set it up and want to use it. It's there if you open a new tab but ignore it. You can still use bookmarks as always.

Speed dial is great for intermediate pages, that is, pages you don't want in tabs that load all the time but that you use often enough that going through bookmarks is a bit tedious.
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 02:41:39 pm »

HOW do you change one-click or two

It is a function of PCManFM (File Manager): Edit > Preferences > General
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 03:53:42 pm »

It is a function of PCManFM (File Manager): Edit > Preferences > General

Thanks. I had assumed it worked like the single-click option in Thunar, but I see that in IceWM it also applies to desktop icons. In XFce using PCManFM, it doesn't apply to desktop icons.

I guess it's easy to switch to whatever click you prefer if you're using Light and PCManFM.
--GrannyGeek

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 04:55:44 pm »

On new boot upgrade icon is back I think for #3.

In the do-upgrade window of leafpad a small typo: "checing" for new up-date

Great, a first in this entire VL7 series, finally USB flash drives are mounted as well as CDs.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 05:03:04 pm »

Um, speed dial has been in Opera for several versions. You're first complaining now???

--GrannyGeek

Yes on previous versions there was the option "hide speed dial" I can't see
it anymore.

And when I do Ctrl-t for a new tab I get again another annoying churning
of wheels instead of a blank page. On a slow Internet connection this churning
is rather irritating to me.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 06:05:42 pm »

--GrannyGeek

it anymore.

You can disable it by going to opera:config, and then 'speed dial state', change to '3'

shortcut (paste in opera address bar): opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialState
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 08:47:05 pm »

--GrannyGeek

it anymore.

You can disable it by going to opera:config, and then 'speed dial state', change to '3'

shortcut (paste in opera address bar): opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialState

Thanks a lot! What a relief. Grin
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 11:59:44 pm »

Can barely find a fault. All seems to run well.

Installed wxcam, joe, dillo, firefox-5.0, dictionary for look. No squeaks nowhere.

"mc" for opening a picture file is looking for gqview instead now for geeqie.

vlc media player plays audio and video just fine.

To feel really at home I will copy essential files from my /home working distro.

Just did skype_static-2.2.0.35/,  works!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 12:07:31 am by Pita » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2011, 05:02:58 am »

I think tbe printing and samba serbices shoukd off if included in the live cd.  These normally need specific configuration procedures that cannot he automated during firat boot.  My idea is... If it cant work out of the box it dont need to be there.  You may choose to have packages there and install them but save the cpu's breath from having to load services that will most likely not be used on a live environment.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: