VectorLinux
July 24, 2014, 04:42:16 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which browser?
Opera - 5 (33.3%)
Firefox - 6 (40%)
Midori - 1 (6.7%)
Dillo - 2 (13.3%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 feedback  (Read 21109 times)
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2011, 08:30:10 am »

After PLOP-booting VL the loading  of Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 stops because VL7 can't find the medium it is booting and loading from

I see the same thing trying to boot from USB stick, where VL6 has no problem.

Edit: Running it live from USB stick now. First (failed) attempt was when trying unetbootin. Then I added it to a bootable flash drive that I've been using for quite some time. It was initially created using instructions for Clonezilla, but it has an easy to edit menu which lets me manually add entries.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 09:21:41 am by nightflier » Logged
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:02 pm »

I've been able to use unetbootin with the vl70 series both live and install.  The trick is to rename init.lz to init.gz.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Compact

« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2011, 12:03:51 pm »

Booting Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 from an USB-stick gives no problems here too if booted from an USB-port that is bootable via the mainboard-bios.
But problems do arise if the USB-port is NOT bootable via the mb-bios. I don't think that Plop or Kexec-booting make any difference. Although I still didn't try out kexec-booting.

Friendly Greetings, Compact
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2011, 01:10:27 pm »

Services poll showed a preference for not enabling samba by default. Cups was less conclusive, I'll use my double vote to decide that one.  Grin

New poll: Email client - use Opera or add in Sylpheed?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2011, 06:03:50 pm »

Sylpheed or its offspring claws-mail? I personally prefer the latter.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2011, 03:23:04 am »

Personally I use  Claws, but for this iso I think we should stick with opera's intergrated client for reasons of space, but recommend Claws as an add on, alternatively if you use say Midori (or how ever you spell it) with java/flash inabled as a lighter replacement then you will need claws or something similar....
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #66 on: August 30, 2011, 12:18:50 pm »

Personally I use  Claws, but for this iso I think we should stick with opera's intergrated client for reasons of space, but recommend Claws as an add on, alternatively if you use say Midori (or how ever you spell it) with java/flash inabled as a lighter replacement then you will need claws or something similar....

I also agree with just having Opera's email client on the cdrom, since it is already there.

The only thing that would change this, is if opera's client (and opera) use significantly more runtime resources.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #67 on: August 31, 2011, 06:49:54 pm »

I'm a Sylpheed user and have been waiting for Light 7 to upgrade my old, old Sylpheed version.

Now that you have the background, I too say just leave it at Opera for reasons of space.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2011, 06:27:43 pm »

@Compact:
What version of PLOP are you using? I'd like to do some testing and see what I can break.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Compact

« Reply #69 on: September 04, 2011, 03:33:42 pm »

What version of PLOP are you using?

I used the latest versions of Plop Boot Manager for PCMCIA-USB.
I just tried to boot with Kexec. But also Kexec will not load and start up VL7.
Same error. So I really think the problem is VL7 itself.

This is what the maker of PLOP BM, Elmar, says about booting distro's from a 'not by mainboard-bios bootable' pcmcia usb drive:
---
when you want to boot a linux distro from a pcmcia usb pccard, then the linux kernel
must have pcmcia/pccard support compiled into the kernel, or the distro has to load the required modules
during bootup. you have to ask the people of the distro to add this feature when you are not able to
boot the distro from the usb pccard. or you compile the kernel by yourself.
---

I think this was well done in VL6 but not in VL7.
Or my knowledge is too simple and short.
Compact

« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2011, 06:27:45 am »

So, VL7 boots to a prompt and you can issue commands? What errors, if any, do you see? What does the "mount" command yield?

Why did you ask me ?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:29:32 am by Compact » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2011, 05:10:54 pm »

I asked to get more information, hoping to see if myself or someone else could come up with a solution. Unfortunately, there were no "ah-ha" revelation on my part.  Sad
OU812
Vectorite

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2011, 09:44:49 am »

Running from a live cd. Just began testing. Really like the default theme, menu layout, toolbar, and volume control. I like that it's more of a minimal system right now (and hope it stays that way). Great choice of apps. The few I've tried work well (vlc, wicd, opera, and grsync). Did not do any upgrades, but ran gslapt, did an update, and searched for several packages. Like the icewm quick config.

I was interested in using an app I've read about - some sort of tool for porting arch's aur packages. Wanted to try it on something like cdw, but couldn't find the vl tool.

Don't really care about single/double click. Don't use email clients. It makes sense to use opera's email client though.

The only rough spot I've found is that I chose "Manage Printing" from the System menu, but nothing seemed to happen.

Great looking distro.

john
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2011, 01:33:14 pm »

Benchmarks of several versions of Opera vs Firefox show Opera falling in an inferior position in terms of memory management. Tomhardware benchmarks consistantly exhibit this in both Windows and OSX (I don't think Toms does/has any Linux benchmarks).

Since it looks like Opera's integrated features like email won't be defaults, how about the idea of taking Opera off of the Light cd altogether? Anyone that really likes Opera can of course install from the repos, and its removal will keep more consistent with the nature of Light.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2011, 04:56:31 pm »

Benchmarks of several versions of Opera vs Firefox show Opera falling in an inferior position in terms of memory management. Tomhardware benchmarks consistantly exhibit this in both Windows and OSX (I don't think Toms does/has any Linux benchmarks).

Since it looks like Opera's integrated features like email won't be defaults, how about the idea of taking Opera off of the Light cd altogether? Anyone that really likes Opera can of course install from the repos, and its removal will keep more consistent with the nature of Light.

And use the browser Midori instead. I do like it and use it more and more.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: