VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 12:44:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Poll
Question: Which browser?
Opera - 5 (33.3%)
Firefox - 6 (40%)
Midori - 1 (6.7%)
Dillo - 2 (13.3%)
Other - 1 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector Linux 7.0 Light Live Alpha 5 feedback  (Read 21139 times)
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2011, 07:08:22 pm »

If I remember right, Light6 came shipped with one tiny GUI browser and one full GUI browser. A couple of good choices to fill these niches could be Midori and one of the Chromium offshoots(Iron or ChromePlus?). Since the Chromium browsers as well as Midori use webkit, possibly a default other than Midori could be considered?

Kazehakase is very light and runs either Gecko or Webkit renderers.

Dillo2 has been redesigned in 2008 to use FLTK instead of GTK and saw a memory footprint improvement of 50%. Wikipedia even has this to say about Dillo: "Dillo is, however, the browser of choice in several space-conscious Linux distributions, such as Damn Small Linux[34], Feather Linux[35], VectorLinux[36], antiX[31] and Mustang Linux[31]." I don't see any info on what Dillo uses for a rendering engine.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2011, 07:58:28 am »

Dillo is pretty useless for anyone doing serious Web browsing. It doesn't do flash or multimedia and can't do various logins. It's okay for browsing mainly text Web sites but not much else. I think it should be left out and left up to the user to install if such minimal Web use is what they're happy with.

I'm personally wary of Chromium because I don't want to further Google's dominance of the online world.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2011, 12:47:44 pm »

I meant including one full featured browser and one minimal browser. Dillo or Kaze or Midori filling the later slot.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2011, 05:40:43 pm »

Dillo 3 has been released. Will need FLTK 1.3 to build. Haven't looked at it. Wouldn't include a minimal browser unless it were highly capable and what it lacks could be filled in with other small apps. The idea is to have something ready-to-go out of the box, even if not exactly to taste.

A text-mode browser may be desirable or a necessity in some cases; but a graphical "minimal browser" alone, alongside a larger browser, is just a waste of space that could be used to add real functionality.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2011, 06:35:22 pm »

Dillo 3 works just fine. I could not imagining using the web without Dillo. One has to learn how to use it. 80 % of my browsing is done with it. And no silly ads disturbing my viewing. All my posting here is done with it. Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: September 15, 2011, 07:53:12 am »

Looks like email client is no hot button, results attached.

Lots more opinions on browser, let's have a vote on that. So far, space is not a big concern on the ISO.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:55:31 am by nightflier » Logged
scififry

« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2011, 08:35:09 am »

Firefox as the main browser, Dillo as the small graphical one, and Lynx is very useful for SSH.
Having a little selection of browsers directly without installing ones afterwards is pretty fine Smiley
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2011, 08:42:35 pm »

In a pcmanfm file manager window, "open folder as root" works fine with out-of-the-box CD, but installing updates breaks it. IIRC, it worked OK after update 1, but not when update 2 was installed, not sure.

Robert
scififry

« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2011, 10:47:08 am »

Installed onto the Pent2 350MHz 320MB RAM after doing the upgrade. Installation took only 32 minutes; working fine so far.
billshere

« Reply #84 on: October 22, 2011, 03:36:03 am »

Greetings,
Don't know how much help I can be, but as an end user I shall give my experince with the new Vector 7.

I am IMPRESSED with its speed!

I like to test candidates for my netbook Asus Eee 1015px as a Live CD on my main big box. It is my feeling that with the constraints imposed by a CD drive that a closer approxmation will be achieved in the performance of an install for the netbook using a Live CD.

1) Was not able to fully access the hard drive, limiting the ability to open the files within. I was able to get to items that were not within a folder.
2) Music: .wav and .mp3 played without errors!
3) Pictures : .jpg, Yay! Outstanding, very quick!
4) 401 KB File on desktop : was not able to open.
Error creating mount point : no such file or directory
5) USB stick 2G, Kingston, same error, no file or directory.
5a) Used Gslapt to upgrade all. No change in the above error.
5b) Downloaded USB View.
Error : Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices.
6) Used Disk utility : Peripheral Devices, clicked USB, none shown.
6a) Note, bottom left of panel scrolling to the bottom showed the Kingston stick and the 401 KB File.
Error is the same for both when attempted to mount : Error monting volume while performing an operation the operation failed.
7) Tried all the above as root.

Hope that helps! I am looking very much forward to this being ready for prime time! Go Vector!

Equipment used : emaxx mb 785 series, Athlon 3 core 2.9 Ghz, 2 g ram
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 03:39:04 am by billshere » Logged
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2011, 10:58:46 am »

Elinks fails to display several webpages. For example, google displays fine, but not duckduckgo. Many more like this. Probably something in the config.

edit - This occurs in STD RC 3.4 and apparently VL 64 too, so posted to 3.4 bug thread with a little more info.

I did notice that elinks honors most of the command line options from lynx. I have several scripts which use lynx, but if it's just a matter of applying sed s/lynx/elinks/g to the scripts in ~/bin, no problem. Need it to work, though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 10:28:05 am by roarde » Logged

Robert
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2011, 11:13:26 am »

On package dependencies:
Many or most of the packages recently released for testing will fail due to unmet dependencies. This is due to version differences between the STD version the packages are being built on -- usually the most recent RC -- and older test-releases like 7 Light Live A5. This should clear up when STD goes final and the others are updated to reference STD's newly stable buildbase.

Ignoring dependencies and installing anyway often works, but be careful.

I ignored a version dependency (had a slightly older version installed) to upgrade Firefox to 7.0.1, and that seems to work.

Robert
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: