Don't know how much help I can be, but as an end user I shall give my experince with the new Vector 7.
I am IMPRESSED with its speed!
I like to test candidates for my netbook Asus Eee 1015px as a Live CD on my main big box. It is my feeling that with the constraints imposed by a CD drive that a closer approxmation will be achieved in the performance of an install for the netbook using a Live CD.
1) Was not able to fully access the hard drive, limiting the ability to open the files within. I was able to get to items that were not within a folder.
2) Music: .wav and .mp3 played without errors!
3) Pictures : .jpg, Yay! Outstanding, very quick!
4) 401 KB File on desktop : was not able to open.
Error creating mount point : no such file or directory
5) USB stick 2G, Kingston, same error, no file or directory.
5a) Used Gslapt to upgrade all. No change in the above error.
5b) Downloaded USB View.
Error : Can not open the file /proc/bus/usb/devices.
6) Used Disk utility : Peripheral Devices, clicked USB, none shown.
6a) Note, bottom left of panel scrolling to the bottom showed the Kingston stick and the 401 KB File.
Error is the same for both when attempted to mount : Error monting volume while performing an operation the operation failed.
7) Tried all the above as root.
Hope that helps! I am looking very much forward to this being ready for prime time! Go Vector!
Equipment used : emaxx mb 785 series, Athlon 3 core 2.9 Ghz, 2 g ram