VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 06:21:15 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2.1 Bug Reports  (Read 10308 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« on: August 18, 2011, 11:25:14 pm »

Please post bug reports, suggestions, and comments for VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2.1 here.  Thanks...

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »

Missing extra repo in slapt-get/gslapt.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 11:34:32 pm »

vpackager will not start

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 02:53:21 am »

vpackager will not start

this is the error

hata_ph:$ vpackager
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/vpackager", line 19, in <module>
    from vpackager import bot
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vpackager/bot.py", line 19, in <module>
    import dbviews
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vpackager/dbviews.py", line 19, in <module>
    import guitools
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vpackager/guitools.py", line 19, in <module>
    import buildutils
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vpackager/buildutils.py", line 19, in <module>
    import bottools
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vpackager/bottools.py", line 20, in <module>
    import psutil
ImportError: No module named psutil
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:28:53 am »

That means the python psutil package is missing there is one here https://bitbucket.org/m0e_lnx/vpackager/downloads/psutil-0.2.0-i586-1vl70.txz

We should have one on the repos

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:41:43 am »

That means the python psutil package is missing there is one here https://bitbucket.org/m0e_lnx/vpackager/downloads/psutil-0.2.0-i586-1vl70.txz

We should have one on the repos

vpackager need psutil, gtksourceview and pygtksourceview to work...all are available at testing repo Smiley
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:05:10 pm »

I installed it on the Sempron; will put it on the Athlon 64 tomorrow barring surprises.

I had to use 1024x768 for installation. My monitor is 1280x1024, but that resolution gave me a distorted screen. I have always had to use 1024x768 during installation. Installation itself was without incidents and took about 20 minutes, including the reboot.

I used the auto configuration for X and nouveau driver was installed (correct). No problems. I have the proper 1280x1024 resolution. Sound is working fine. I haven't modified LILO because I'm trying to see if the inoperable keyboard/mouse problem is gone. It's a bit hard to test until it happens, but so far, so good.

Alas, not everything included is up to date. Flash is an older version. It's very easy to install the current version but it would be nice if the current version was included. Firefox 6 is out now. SeaMonkey in the repo is an older version. I downloaded and installed SeaMonkey 2.3 and Firefox 6 from Mozilla's Web site--very easy, no VL package needed, and they are both working fine. Opera is also an older version. I downloaded and installed Opera 11.50 from Opera's site. Working fine. The Scribus version included in the ISO is old. I installed Scribus 1.4 rc5 from the testing repo.

I've installed quite a bit from the repos and also Adobe Reader and SoftMaker Office and all are working.

Good job! I love it. I can't wait for Final.<g>
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 03:11:30 pm »

I forgot to mention a couple of things.

I *love* having a link to opensourcebistro. That will be a big help to beginners and anyone doing something for the first time.

VL-QuikPicks will be very helpful, too, for finding programs without hunting all the way through the repos. I used VL-QuikPicks to add Audacity. Easy, easy.
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 10:35:40 pm »

I forgot to mention a couple of things.

I *love* having a link to opensourcebistro. That will be a big help to beginners and anyone doing something for the first time.

VL-QuikPicks will be very helpful, too, for finding programs without hunting all the way through the repos. I used VL-QuikPicks to add Audacity. Easy, easy.
--GrannyGeek

Thanks GrannyGeek. As the contributor I was pretty happy OSB  got included, and  VL-QuikPicks was icing on the cake. 
M0E_lnx is cooking up a nice treat as well, I really hope we see by final.
I'll watch this thread closely for any comments on those two and try to have suggested fixes done by final.
(One known bug is that Compiz shows as installed when it is not, but if it is selected vl-qwikpicks will install it for you just as it should.)

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 06:24:46 am »

I had my Sempron RC2.1 computer running overnight and everything was still working in the morning. I watched opera videos on YouTube for an hour today and no lockups. This is very encouraging. I hope we hear from others who were afflicted with lockups with earlier releases and they have similar good news to report. I'll have the computer running all day and overnight again and we'll see how it goes.

I don't use a software firewall, so I can't comment on that. Also, I don't care for Compiz and don't have it installed.
--GrannyGeek

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:20:28 am »

As regular user, trying to run gdm setup (login window), only get message "need to be root", no option to enter root password.

Edit: Finally found the .desktop file for it.. it's /usr/share/gdm/applications/gnome-gdmsetup.desktop
It lists "Exec=/usr/bin/gdmsetup", whereas previous version had "Exec=gksu /usr/bin/gdmsetup".
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 09:44:00 am by nightflier » Logged
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:20:10 am »

During installation clicking on Other in the partition mounting menu crashes the installer.
Also I got a kernel panic on the first boot(right after the udev warnings). It's the same one I've been getting a lot in RC2 - http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/194/kernelpanic.jpg
However, that was the only time I got it on RC2.1 so far.
Also I didn't get any lockups so far.
Time will show Wink

On an unrelated note:
Currently ffmpeg version included in RC2.1 is 0.6. A little while ago I've build ffpmpeg-0.8.2, which has a lot more functionality than the old one(in testing), and a few deps(got lost on the way). The problem with installing it from the repo is that it breaks all video players(and maybe other programs too), meaning they have to be rebuild against the new ffmpeg.
Could the new ffmpeg be included in the next iso, this way there won't be any confusion over which players were build against which version. I've already build a new vlc version against this new ffmpeg and it works great.
There's a bit of effort tied to it, since the players have to be rebuild(I coundn't find any recent SlackBuilds for mplayer and xine, otherwise I would've given it a shot), and testing to see exactly which apps were broken.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 11:46:28 am »

I've installed RC2.1 on my Athlon 64 desktop. Installation was completely uneventful, the Auto option for X correctly installed nouveau, sound is working, everything is fine.

In the Help option in the Desktop menu, the path is wrong. I found it manually and then I got the full Help. I did a brief search in hopes I could find the file that gives the path to XFce Help so I could fix it myself but I didn't succeed. Anyone know where it is?

The problem with pulling out guidelines in GIMP persists. However, the problem lies with xscreensaver, not with GIMP or VL7, but I have to kill the screensaver daemon and then the guidelines work as expected. How can I prevent that daemon from loading? If I kill it in one session, it returns the next time I start VL7.

Two computers running all day now and still no lockups or keyboard or mouse problems. I'll leave both of them running overnight and report on what happens. It would be sooooo good to have that lockup problem gone.
--GrannyGeek

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 01:41:12 pm »

Deluge won't start:

budulay7:$ deluge
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/deluge", line 5, in <module>
    from pkg_resources import load_entry_point
ImportError: No module named pkg_resources

Just had a lockup(this time the screen just froze, no fancy colors), and while rebooting I got a kernel panic twice. I guess it was too early to celebrate Sad
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 01:51:25 pm by budulay » Logged

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 05:15:43 pm »

Trying to install to HP-2133 Netbook.

As with previous releases the GUI Installer does not read resolution correctly
making reading it almost impossible since letters and windows overlap.
Therefore installation is aborted. Sad
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: