VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 06:31:19 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC2.1 Bug Reports  (Read 9694 times)
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 02:44:41 am »

The problem with pulling out guidelines in GIMP persists. However, the problem lies with xscreensaver, not with GIMP or VL7, but I have to kill the screensaver daemon and then the guidelines work as expected. How can I prevent that daemon from loading? If I kill it in one session, it returns the next time I start VL7.

--GrannyGeek

I don't use a screensaver, however, if it would cause a problem I would just make non-executional /usr/bin/xscreensaver.

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 08:43:58 pm »

Restart and shutdown work.  Great!  When quitting the  screen shows some weirdly fonted yellow messages in the upper left background, such as "Setting Up Modules."  Doesn't seem to affect performance.  And when coming up there are four or five lines of something like: "file needed .conf" with the rest of the message something about the sound card and ignoring it in the future.  If I knew how to stop the scrolling, I could give specifics.  Suspend works, at least for a short suspend.  Suspend in 2.0 worked fine if the machine was unsuspended shortly thereafter, but if suspended for a long time, 2.0 would not work unless I logged out.  Hibernate did not work (acted same as reboot). 

I didn't have any trouble with the installer, which surprised me, and was most impressed that a whole lot of my programs are ready to go.  A couple of times I guessed right when the installer asked for input.  However, I was unsure a couple of times, particularly, for example, on the screen which allows "restart" or some such to get the old home user area.  Below that was something like an "import user" button which I wondered if I should also use.  I didn't and luckily that was the right guess.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 11:31:03 pm »

Couple of other initial impressions:

one of my python programs didn't work so, noting two pythons in gslapt, I deleted in gslapt the one that installed with the system.  And that deleted some thirty other programs, some important...so, after a couple of drinks and some swearing at gslapt, I reinstalled vl7 2.1, got back on gslapt and "downgraded" to the other python in the repository.

Also, I gather firefox 6 is out now as a firefox "update" screen is the first thing that appears.

John

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:00 am »

sledgehammer,

Just a reminder of something we've often posted here. DON'T use Gslapt to uninstall anything. it tends to take more with it than you intend. To uninstall a program, best to run
removepkg packagename
as root from a terminal prompt. You are much more likely to have just that program removed and not the whole lot of what gslapt thinks should go along with it.

Firefox 6 has been out for a while--couple of weeks, at least. Firefox has now decided to go with an accelerated release schedule, which means we'll be updating often if we want to keep current. The problem with not keeping current is that those releases usually include some security fixes and if you don't keep current, you are risking a security problem.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 07:56:02 pm »

The problem with a long "suspend" remains.  A short suspend works fine.  But after a long suspend, I have to do a cntrl-alt-backspace which logs me out.  Still a lot better than a reboot.

John

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 02:54:54 pm »

Wifi started acting up recently. Sometimes all of a sudden it will stop, so I am not able to send or receive anything. After a refresh scan Wicd shows no networks available, although they were there just a moment ago. The only way of fixing this that I found is a reboot. Sometimes this also happens at boot(no networks available after the system powers up).
Is there a new version of wicd in RC2.1 compared to RC2?

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 10:09:15 pm »

budalay,

Are you using VL light?  I am using the regular VL rc 2.1 and have had no problems with WICD.  Nor did I have any under VL RC2.0.Stable as a rock on my system, whether wired or wifi. 

John

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 07:26:10 am »

sledgehammer,

I got Standard RC2.1, and I didn't have any problems with wireless on RC2.0 either.

Last night I put it on a desktop I just got, and wireless is flawless.
I suspect that maybe my laptop's(that's where wifi is acting up) wireless drivers(rt2860sta) were updated with the kernel update between RC2.0 and RC2.1

Any output I can post to help diagnose this?

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 07:44:11 am »

Installed on my pc ( AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+ / 4 gb ram / GeForce GT220 ).
Everything is working great and I really like the VL quickpicks. It makes often used programs easy to install.

I really enjoy using it.

greets

nicdm

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 11:45:38 am »

Another thing, I was unable to re-size a ntfs partition during install(gparted was complaining about missing libraries). Had to use UBCD to partition the drive and then install VL7.
Trying to mount a partition to Other still crashes the installer.

Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2011, 05:33:12 am »

The problem with a long "suspend" remains.  A short suspend works fine.  But after a long suspend, I have to do a cntrl-alt-backspace which logs me out.  Still a lot better than a reboot.
FWIW, I just remembered that a few years back we disabled standby sleep on all recently purchased Windows XP PCs here at work, because they would never wake up after a longish time, something that had never happened before. Maybe this is some kind of generational hardware quirk?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2011, 07:28:31 am »

The problem with pulling out guidelines in GIMP persists. However, the problem lies with xscreensaver, not with GIMP or VL7, but I have to kill the screensaver daemon and then the guidelines work as expected. How can I prevent that daemon from loading? If I kill it in one session, it returns the next time I start VL7.
I just upgraded xscreensaver on my test system to v5.14 (from v5.12) and this resolved the GIMP guide problem.

Hopefully the new version of xscreensaver can be included in the final ISO so that other users don't experience this bug.
Penguinista
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2011, 07:10:57 am »

XFCE 4.8.0 - Missing Desktop Menu Apps:

I've noticed that the following useful Apps, which were in VL 6.0, are missing from VL 7.0 XFCE menu:

Menu:

1. Help (File)
2. System > Vector Control Centre (GUI)
3. System > Xfce Task Manager  [update: downloaded lxtask from Gslapt]
4. Accessories > Search For Files (Catfish found under VL-Quikpicks)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:48:24 pm by Penguinista » Logged
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2011, 10:57:00 am »

Gimp was giving me problems of freezing when I apply any tool (paintbrush, bucket fill, etc.) I just installed the xscreensaver update and it seems to have fixed that problem.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 07:41:04 am »

I upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.3.3 and ran into disastrous problems on the Athlon 64. At usopen.org if I scrolled up or down the page, the program and computer locked up, keyboard and mouse unresponsive, pushing the power button required to get out of it. I also upgraded to Firefox 6.0.2 or whatever the latest version is and had the same problem. Opera seems to be working okay.

I then went back to SeaMonkey 2.3.1 but the scrolling lockup happened with it, too. I don't recall having the problem with this version, but I hadn't used that computer in several days and it's possible I just didn't do whatever the computer doesn't like before I stopped using it for a few days.

I upgraded to SeaMonkey 2.3.3 on the Sempron desktop and so far, no problems. I'm writing this from SeaMonkey 2.3.3. I'll continue working with it and also upgrading Firefox and see how things go.

One major difference between the computers is that the Athlon 64 has a GeForce GT220 video card and the Sempron uses onboard NVidia graphics. The Sempron uses the nouveau driver. The next time I turn on the Athlon 64 I'll check which driver it's using. I think it's the proprietary NVidia driver.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: