VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 02:11:24 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Anyone get Amarok working in 5.8  (Read 5468 times)
bashlife

« on: January 07, 2007, 10:36:07 pm »

Running 5.8 Gold with KDE 3.5. Installed amarok using slapt-get, and while the icon shows up in my menu, and I see the Amarok splash screen when I try to launch it, and it appears with the hourglass icon in the panel for about half a minute, the app doesn't launch. Anything I should be doing?
Freeman
Tester
Vectorite

Choice to the user!

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:52:50 am »

Try running Amarok from terminal, and put the output here. So some of the devs can help you. Start terminal, type 'amarok'. Then they will be glad to help you out.

It's better to die 10 times, than never to have loved at all.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 12:20:21 pm »

bashlife... a simple and quick fix around to the amarok thing is creating a symlink to the lib file in /opt/kde/libs pointing to /opt/postgresql/lib/libpq.so.5

do it like this as root
Code:
ln -s /opt/postgresql/lib/libpq.so.5 /opt/kde/lib/libpq.so.4

bashlife

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:12:06 pm »

bashlife... a simple and quick fix around to the amarok thing is creating a symlink to the lib file in /opt/kde/libs pointing to /opt/postgresql/lib/libpq.so.5

do it like this as root
Code:

Boosh! Just what I needed. Many thanks!
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 09:19:55 pm »

I'm in the process of rebuilding amarok so that it doesn't have any deps on mysql or postgresql as the database backends. Rather, the rebuilt amarok will use a sqlite package as the database backend, since it is a library that doesn't require a daemon to run or a dedicated user to own it, unlike postgresql.

As soon as things are ready, it will hit the repo.

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
LLL
Global Moderator
Vectorite

The sun is shining...

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:08:45 pm »

Just installed amarok...getting this error:

andy:$ amarok
Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
amarokapp: error while loading shared libraries: libsqlite3-3.3.9.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I'm happy learning about Exaile!, but wanted to pass on my experience.

Lost & Lovin' Linux...living on:
VectorLinux 6.0 with XFCE on Thinkpad T43p (2.13 GHz | 2GB | 60GB)
stoichyu
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 07:16:55 pm »

You could probably make a symlink to libsqlite3.so
Code:
ln -s /usr/lib/libsqlite3.so /usr/lib/libsqlite3-3.3.9.so.0

Interestingly, I only have sqlite3-3.3.7

There's no place like ~.
VL 5.8 PentiumD 2.8Ghz Registered Linux User #432836
JohnB316
Administrator
Vectorian

Registered Linux User #386728

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2007, 08:02:26 am »

We have a rebuilt amarok 1.4.4, along with an updated sqlite3 package, in the VL 5.8 extra repository. Please see this thread for more info: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1590.0

The sqlite3-3.3.10 package is an update. Please see the following thread for more info: http://www.vectorlinux.com/forum2/index.php?topic=1596.0

Cheers,
John

VL 6.0 SOHO latest alpha on one box, VL 5.9 Lite on the other.
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2007, 03:12:54 pm »

There is a lot of hullabaloo on the forums as of late concerning Amarok. It seems some users are loading all of KDE on top of VL5.8 Gold, just so they can have Amarok. Admittedly it is a nice program, but rather resource intensive for an audio player and database. For those wanting something almost as powerful but significantly lighterweight I recommend "mp3blaster"'. Its terrific ( http://mp3blaster.sourceforge.net/#screenshots ).

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
easuter
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 03:56:57 pm »

Admittedly it is a nice program, but rather resource intensive for an audio player and database.

Indeed. I've just finished building Audacious and a whole bunch of plugins for it that make it quite complete even for those who want eye-candy on their audio players...
Its light, has great plugins support for extras, and well....plays music.... Wink
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 03:59:17 pm by easuter » Logged

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2007, 04:49:52 pm »

It seems some users are loading all of KDE on top of VL5.8 Gold, just so they can have Amarok

True, it is quite a beast, when it comes to resources... but I haven't found anything as good as amarok.

Though looking at their website today, it seems it is not necessary to install kdebase. It seems the only thing that kdebase is for is to get an amarok sidebar in Konqueror (http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Requirements)

I'll try to compile a version of of it with just the mandatory dependencies and no optional stuff or kdebase.
Hopefully, it might be a bit lighter on memory.

Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2007, 04:58:53 pm »

do it like this as root
Code:

To be fair, that's a bit of a hackneyed way to do it. Does /opt/postgresql/lib sit in /etc/ld.so.conf? If not, try adding that and run ldconfig as root.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2007, 06:08:26 pm »

The postgresql packages include a postgresql.sh script that goes in /etc/profile.d and has the following contents:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

PREFIX=/opt/postgresql

if [ -d $PREFIX ] ; then
   export PATH="$PATH:$PREFIX/bin"
   export MANPATH="$MANPATH:$PREFIX/man"
   export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$PREFIX/lib"
fi
AFAIK, this works for everything JohnB316 and I have built against postgresql so far. However, some of the earlier packages did not include this.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
Triarius Fidelis
Vecteloper
Vectorian

Domine, exaudi vocem meam

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2007, 02:47:03 pm »

Using $LD_LIBRARY_PATH is equivalent to the use of ld.so.conf...I think.

"Leatherface, you BITCH! Ho Chi Minh, hah hah hah!"

Formerly known as "Epic Fail Guy" and "Döden" in recent months
Steve909

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2007, 01:29:34 pm »

I started using Amorak in some other distros.  I like it.  When I first started it in VL 5.8, Amorak did exactly what you described.  If you look in lower toolbar next to the time display you will see an icon for Amorak.  Click on that once and the program comes up.  Don't really know why it did that but it is running in the background with no open window.  I am not sure this is your problem but try it again and see if that icon appears.

A second computer that I loaded VL 5.8 does the same thing when Amorak is started.  It does start but it didn't open the window for the program until I clicked on the lower right toolbar.  It does work though!  Grin
« Last Edit: June 03, 2007, 01:34:23 pm by Steve909 » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: