VectorLinux
August 29, 2014, 12:04:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: vector linux 6.0 standard : bootloops everytime  (Read 925 times)
barf

« on: October 06, 2011, 06:47:47 am »

I recently installed VL 6.0 following the directions found on the site. I partitioned my HDD using gparted and installed. Everything went smooth. Then when I restart at the end of the installation process it brings me to the screen where I can choose VectorLinux/TUI. When I click either it says "Loading VectorLinux.. BIOs Data Check Successful" and then restarts and does the same thing continuously.

When I press tab (I think?) It brings up what looks like terminal but the prompt is "boot:"

I am new to Vector and pretty new to Linux so any help is appreciated!
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 09:30:51 am »

what you're seeing is the boot loader itself. As soon as VL starts loading, something goes wrong.

There may be several reasons. Try this: when you get the boot menu, press Tab, then type "vga=normal 2" and press Enter.
barf

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 09:53:06 pm »

No luck. The prompt says "boot:" so I'm guessing the only commands can be images to boot.
barf

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 10:09:04 pm »

Also, during setup I setup a /boot partition for lilo. When I restarted after install it went to grub recovery mode. I had to boot from the iso and go to vasm through there to finish the configuration, and manually configure lilo. After all this I get the result mentioned in my first post.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 04:13:11 am »

Drawing a blank at this time Sad  .. but if you can boot off the CD and log in to the system, it should be fixable. I'd try re-running the boot loader setup with different options.
barf

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 09:01:29 am »

The only bootloader setup I have found is the one in Vasm, is that the only place where the bootloader options are found? When I first configured it after booting off the cd it took no time at all to install. Should it be that fast? And I just noticed that when I boot from cd, it says "setting up apm......... FAILED". Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your help so far!
scififry

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 02:11:49 pm »

You can run
Code:
vliloconf
as root, that brings up the LILO configuration dialog; it installs within a few seconds.

The APM setup possibly failed because your computer is newer and has the newer ACPI power management, so there's no APM available on your BIOS.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 02:13:31 pm by scififry » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: