VectorLinux
July 25, 2014, 01:47:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Calculix  (Read 2125 times)
vectormech

« on: October 01, 2011, 09:11:24 pm »

Howdy,

I heard about VL only minutes ago.  I have been using Debian for a while and it seemed too large, slow, unstable and similar to MS mentality for my tastes.  VL sounded right up my alley because of buzzwords like small, simple, tight, stable. 

But what I mainly want to do is run Calculix, the open source Finite Element Analysis program.  What would it take to run that on VL?  I mean, when would it likely make it into the repos, considering I have no knowledge or time to help?

Also, I wonder about possibly running a Windows emulator to run Alibre solid modeling.  To save you time looking it up, Alibre is similar to AutoDesk Inventor and Solid Works but is just big enough to get most jobs done so it is far less expensive.  Alibre is the only viable solid modeler I have found for my needs but so far, they refuse to consider providing a linux version.  If it weren't for that, my life would be Windows-free.  But this is not a looming issue for me, just a back-burner issue.  Plus, I suspect it would defeat my purpose to complicate my linux system to run a windows program and get rid of windows.  Seems it would make more sense to just run it on Windows until a viable solid modeler in linux comes into existence - one as cheap yet powerful as Alibre.  I wouldn't waste your time on this subject, but if you know anything I don't know about solid modeling and getting away from MS, please advise.  Far as I know, powerful solid modeling seems to be the one thing missing from the open source world.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 04:24:47 am »

Calculix is open source, so you may want to post in the "package requests" area of the forum. No guarantees though, as it's all volunteer efforts.

Alibre is another story. Google reveals that people are struggling to get it running using Wine. The pragmatic solution would be to keep Windows around for that.

Edit: Posted before morning coffee.. disregard first paragraph.  Tongue
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:06:12 am by nightflier » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 08:33:44 pm »

I have build calculix-2.3 for VL7. Once it is in the testing repo I will let you know Smiley

EDIT:

calculix-2.3 is in the testing repo...
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15017.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 04:31:58 am by hata_ph » Logged
vectormech

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 04:20:09 pm »

Cheesy
thank you
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --