VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 12:05:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 7822 times)
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« on: October 05, 2011, 08:56:38 am »

To my dear VectorLinux cyberfriends--

I've been diagnosed with Stage IV gallbladder cancer. It is not curable but sometimes chemotherapy has a good result. I have my first round of chemo on Wednesday the 12th and am very hopeful things will get better. I feel pretty well. They say they can now do a good job of controling chemo side effects.

I don't know how much energy I'll have for testing VL but hope to keep at it. I am handling this diagnosis realistically but my poor husband is extremely distressed. I'd be just as distressed if he were the patient and I were the one with the prospect of being left alone. I think he's getting a bit more adjusted as time goes on.

I had no symptoms at all so this cancer is a big shock. Surgery would do no good. Gall bladder cancer is rare and really, anything they do is "experimental" and there aren't many clinical trials going on. I'm quite hopeful for a good outcome with life extension and maybe by the time the cancer returns they'll have better treatments.

I just wanted to let you know why I may not participate as much as in the past.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 09:15:02 am »

I hope u will get better !

all the best

nicdm

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:19:20 am »

We appreciate everything you've done.  We wish you the best. Keep us posted please.

Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 09:59:14 am »

*Hugs*  here is hoping that the chemo does some good.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:27 am »

Best of wishes. Keep us informed.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2011, 02:30:47 pm »

I wish you the best in this trial. I hope everything goes well for you.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 02:53:22 pm »

Granny, fight the good fight. You are right to call us your cyber friends, and we will all be praying for you.
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2011, 02:54:43 pm »

Best wishes for you and your family, Granny.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

Sorry to hear of your news, but hope the treatment works for you.

CP .
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:00:06 pm »

Darn GG, that's no good. I hope some good luck (and doctors) end up on your side and can make for some good years to come. I wish you the best on your trek. Keep your head high and "enjoy the moment" even more than you probably already do. Be safe girl!!
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2011, 05:37:11 pm »

May you get well soon  Embarrassed
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2011, 06:01:34 pm »

Hey Granny,
As one of our longest supporters been with Vector since almost day one I really feel you are family and want to take this opportunity to give a big thank you!!! for all you have contributed over these many years. You have been there every release giving very important feedback and constructive criticism that believe me has helped Vector to be the great distro it is today. I know this is a scary time for you and your loved ones so hang in there, fight the good fight with your head held high and you will beat this thing. Best of luck to you and my prayers are with you!!

Cheers,
Vec
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2011, 08:32:07 pm »

Well, I certainly am not happy to hear this news.  Sad  Seems like it's always the good people.  You've been a great help to many here in the VL community, especially the dev' team. I always look forward to your input from testing. I viewed you sort of like that "Hanes Inspection Lady", if you've seen that commercial, "they don't say Hanes until I say they say Hanes", only in this case it isn't Hanes , but VL. I believe your future will reflect your past, and you will have a great future ahead of you. Thank you so much for your contributions.

P.S.
       Please send me a T-shirt!!  (just a joke to to cheer you on  Grin )
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 04:44:48 am »

Granny, I think I can safely say that everyone here @ VL is rooting for you. Here's wishing you the best of luck!

Shocked Sad Shocked Sad Shocked Sad

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
scififry

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:33 am »

Reading this news makes me really sad  Cry

All my best wishes to you Granny and get well soon!!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: