VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 03:46:00 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad news  (Read 8770 times)
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2011, 11:19:20 am »

GG I will be praying for you (wellness), your husband (peace of mind), and the medical team that will be working with you.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2011, 01:51:44 pm »

Goodness, GrannyGeek,
That news just had to have been a real shock for you to hear.  I'm so sorry to hear that.  Will be sending good and positive thoughts (prayers,..or what-ever-you-want-to call them) your way. 
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2011, 07:11:21 pm »

This is really sad to hear, I wish you to get better  Smiley

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 02:21:34 am »

Just got back to the forum after a couple of months away and read your news. I'll be rooting for you with the rest of the gang. I hope that with your positive attitude and a touch of luck you can can lick this thing.
Andy
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 02:14:40 pm »

Granny,

joe1962 says what, in some fashion or another, we are all thinking:

Granny, I think I can safely say that everyone here @ VL is rooting for you. Here's wishing you the best of luck!

Many of us may well go before you do, and we all know that our time here is brief.  Still, its gotta be a downer to know the how of it ahead of time.  You take care and keep up hope.  With all that's going on in medicine, no one can know for sure what lies ahead.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 11:35:23 am »

Dear Friends,

Thank you so much for your positive thoughts and best wishes. It helps very much to know I have a lot of support among my cyber friends. Tomorrow (Oct. 12) I have my first chemo treatments. I'm eager to see how they go and what side effects I may experience. I'm hoping I'll have enough energy to test VL7 RC 3.4.

I'll keep you posted.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 10:32:36 pm »

GG,

I'm sorry I didn't say anything sooner!  I haven't checked the forums recently, and by now you've already had your first chemo treatment.  I hope it went as well as possible.  I can see that lots of VL people are pulling for you, and you can count me in.  You have my prayers also.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 04:43:48 am »

GG, will be keeping you in my thoughts as you fight this. Hang in there.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2011, 11:36:36 am »

I will keep you in my prayers.

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2011, 03:19:50 am »

I am so sorry to read this.

I hope you and your husband can help each other in these difficult times, and that you'll be able to enjoy each others company for many years to come. I wish there was anything useful or helpful I could say, other than just "get well soon", but the right words don't come to mind now.

Best wishes,

Jacco.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 03:22:53 am by The Headacher » Logged

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2011, 12:53:36 pm »

Thanks again for all the support from you, my dear cyber friends. I find it very interesting that I really do feel the well wishes of my friends as I undergo treatment.

I completed my first round and start the second round on Nov. 2. I had no nausea or vomiting or serious side effects during round 1. They really have come a long way in minimizing those things that made chemotherapy very daunting for many people. The chief "problem" I experienced was a lot of fatigue, especially after the second treatment. I'm hoping for similar lack of problems during my second round, but there's no telling. It's actually kind of interesting to see what happens.

They are using a newer protocol with me. Gallbladder cancer is rare, so everything is rather experimental. I'm getting two drugs in week 1 and the same two in week 2, and then two weeks off. These are IV drugs on an outpatient basis. It takes all day, as there is testing, waiting, mixing drugs to order, waiting, administration of steroids and hydration, and finally, each drug separately, which takes a long time. I bring my Nook Color, Nintendo DS with Jeopardy, and my PDA, plus they have a TV at every station. We can eat during the treatments, in fact, we have to, and everyone is very nice and professional and caring. Various people come by, such as a pharmacist, and they answer questions and make suggestions. I'm in good hands.

They haven't tested yet to see if the drugs are having the desired effect. I'm certainly no worse. The amazing thing to me is that the slight tumor pain I had before I started treatment vanished on Day 1 and hasn't returned. It *could* be due to tumor shrinkage.

So thanks again and keep the thoughts and wishes coming.<g> I'm certainly giving it my all, as I don't want to leave yet. Gotta try out VL7 64. :-)
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2011, 05:14:46 pm »

Your courage and matter-of-fact approach is encouraging and inspirational. Thank you for sharing a "non-cyber" part of your life with us (me).

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
ajt

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 08:09:11 am »

Thanks again for all the support from you, my dear cyber friends. I find it very interesting that I really do feel the well wishes of my friends as I undergo treatment.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 08:11:15 am by ajt » Logged
ajt

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 08:12:04 am »

I will all be thinking of you.
alex

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 11:50:56 am by ajt » Logged
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2011, 11:18:44 am »

Its good to hear of your progress -I am sure your strength of will is an important factor in your recovery.  Thank you for keeping us informed.  All my best wishes.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: