VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: vector linux 6.0 standard : bootloops everytime  (Read 1331 times)

barf

vector linux 6.0 standard : bootloops everytime
« on: October 06, 2011, 07:47:47 am »

I recently installed VL 6.0 following the directions found on the site. I partitioned my HDD using gparted and installed. Everything went smooth. Then when I restart at the end of the installation process it brings me to the screen where I can choose VectorLinux/TUI. When I click either it says "Loading VectorLinux.. BIOs Data Check Successful" and then restarts and does the same thing continuously.

When I press tab (I think?) It brings up what looks like terminal but the prompt is "boot:"

I am new to Vector and pretty new to Linux so any help is appreciated!

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: vector linux 6.0 standard : bootloops everytime
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:30:51 am »

what you're seeing is the boot loader itself. As soon as VL starts loading, something goes wrong.

There may be several reasons. Try this: when you get the boot menu, press Tab, then type "vga=normal 2" and press Enter.

barf

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 10:53:06 pm »

No luck. The prompt says "boot:" so I'm guessing the only commands can be images to boot.

barf

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 11:09:04 pm »

Also, during setup I setup a /boot partition for lilo. When I restarted after install it went to grub recovery mode. I had to boot from the iso and go to vasm through there to finish the configuration, and manually configure lilo. After all this I get the result mentioned in my first post.

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:13:11 am »

Drawing a blank at this time :(  .. but if you can boot off the CD and log in to the system, it should be fixable. I'd try re-running the boot loader setup with different options.

barf

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 10:01:29 am »

The only bootloader setup I have found is the one in Vasm, is that the only place where the bootloader options are found? When I first configured it after booting off the cd it took no time at all to install. Should it be that fast? And I just noticed that when I boot from cd, it says "setting up apm......... FAILED". Any thoughts?

Thanks very much for your help so far!

scififry

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:11:49 pm »

You can run
Code: [Select]
vliloconf as root, that brings up the LILO configuration dialog; it installs within a few seconds.

The APM setup possibly failed because your computer is newer and has the newer ACPI power management, so there's no APM available on your BIOS.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:13:31 pm by scififry »