VectorLinux
December 22, 2014, 12:49:32 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Vectorlinux7 RC3.4 bug reports and comments  (Read 16143 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: October 08, 2011, 10:47:42 pm »

Please post bug reports, suggestions, and comments for VECTORLINUX 7.0 RC3.4 here.  Thanks..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 10:55:47 pm by vector » Logged
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 03:36:11 am »

Installed it on my Samsung N110 netbook.
Installation went without problems. Everything is working out of the box ( wireless, touchpad,..)
Using VL Quickpicks makes it very easy to install frequently used programs.
The only bug i'm having at the moment is when I try to set up screensaver. Xscreensaver is saying the deamon is not running and when clicking ok to activate, I get the following error :
Code:
The xscreensaver daemon did not start up properly.Please check your $PATH and permissions.

That's all for now.

greets

nicdm

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
scififry

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 08:49:57 am »

Tried installing on the Athlon. Froze up using the graphical installer at 5% and using the text installer also at 5% when installing the kernel modules, with the difference that I'm not getting a debugging output on the kernel panic in the text installer anymore.
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 08:43:05 pm »

Installed in a VBox VM and all has gone very smoothly so far. My test machine is DOA and has been for a while...hope to have real hardware to test on soon.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
j.a.watson

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 04:46:34 am »

I have downloaded and installed (or tried to install) on a couple of my netbooks.

Good news: I was able to create a bootable USB stick with Unetbootin, and then only had to make one small change to the USB stick in order to boot and install from it.  In the isolinux directory, rename init.lz to init.gz.  That's it.  Then boot the stick and install.  Very nice.

Other News: On my laptops with 1366x768 displays, the GUI installer will not come up with auto-detect resolution, and the only resolution which works is so low that when the installer gets to asking for the root password, the window is too small and there are no scroll bars, so the input fields are lost off-screen somewhere.

Not so good news: When installed on my netbooks which have a Broadcom 4313 WiFi adapter, the driver is not found.  This seems a bit strange to me - I am SURE that I installed RC2 and the brcm80211 driver was included.  However, I have searched under /lib/modules and I can find no trace of either the brcm80211 driver nor the newer brcmsmac driver.  Have these really been omitted on purpose?

Thanks for any advice or solutions.

jw

Update: This is even a bit stranger than I thought.  I just installed RC3.4 on my HP Pavilion dm1-3105ez, and the Ralink 5390 WiFi adapter in it works just fine, with the rt2800pci driver.  Ok, this is because the Ralink driver is included in the 3.0 kernel, but still, this has to mean the omission of the Broadcom brcm driver was an oversight, doesn't it?

Thanks,

jw
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 05:14:13 am by j.a.watson » Logged
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 09:43:07 am »

Just downloaded and installed RC 3.4 today, on a 2001 Compaq PIII desktop with 512 MB of RAM.

It looks good (cool dark blue theme, wallpaper etc.) and so far it works well except - the problem I had before with installing X11 keymaps hasn't been sorted out yet.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:11:12 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 12:31:49 pm »

Not so good news: When installed on my netbooks which have a Broadcom 4313 WiFi adapter, the driver is not found.  This seems a bit strange to me - I am SURE that I installed RC2 and the brcm80211 driver was included.
Yup looks like it was left out of our last kernel build. Thanks for finding that we will get it in our next kernel.

Vec
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 12:41:35 pm »

the problem I had before with installing X11 keymaps hasn't been sorted out yet.
Colonel Panic when you do the install are you choosing the uk keyboard on the first screen of the gui installer?
I tried an install that way and worked for me. The vasm keyboard setup might be broken have to look at that.
You can look in your $HOME / .bash_profile and should see something like setxkbmap -model uk. If its set for US than you did not do the keyboard selection from the gui installer. Check those things and let us know ok.

Thanks,
Vec
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 02:21:36 pm »

Ah, should have been clearer in what I said. I use the text-based installation procedure as my computer has hung before when trying to set the video (resolution + colour depth) automatically in the gui (graphics-based) one. Perhaps I should have reported that as a bug in the past, but didn't think to. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 11:14:14 pm by Colonel Panic » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 07:30:17 pm »

Installed on my desktop PC with vinstall.

Seems all is working w/o me doing much,
-- internet,
-- sound,
-- resolution,
-- printers detected, usb:/unknown, my old Epson impact printer and is  printing,
-- usb flashdrive detected.

I am burning a CD now and will see if it can install on HP-2133 netbook which previous versions of VL7 could not.

Edit:

The problem remains when trying to install to HP-2133. The gui installer
doe not get the correct resolution for the screen. It is too large, letters and windows overlap.
When installing on my PC it first shows possible resolution settings and asks for the right one.
This is absent on the HP netbook.
Nothing is being asked before gui installer opens.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 10:17:58 pm by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 11:51:45 pm »

Ah, should have been clearer in what I said. I use the text-based installation procedure as my computer has hung before when trying to set the video (resolution + colour depth) automatically in the gui (graphics-based) one.
Colonel panic.............we are working on the vasm keyboard routine but in the meantime heres a neat trick.Just copy /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-layout-keyboard.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d then change XKBLayout from us to uk in the 90-layout file and restart X and you should be good to go

Cheers,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:47 am »

I installed RC3.4 on my Athlon 64 X2. No problems at all so far. I was able to use the monitor's native 1600x1200 during installation and it autoidentified everything in VASM. I'm using the nouveau driver for my NVidia GeForce card.

Alas, it seems Scribus is not included. I would compile it myself but at this time I don't have the energy.<g> I hope the latest Scribus will be in the repos. It's something of a moving target, as I think the latest is Release Candidate 5 and another one will probably be available soon.

I added several third-party programs and they are all working properly.

If I feel well enough after tomorrow's chemo treatment, I'll install on my Sempron computer and report on how that goes.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 11:46:38 am »

Colonel panic
new vkeymapset is here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/vkmapset.new
copy it to /sbin and run it as root
let us know how it works for you.
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 12:15:34 pm »

Alas, it seems Scribus is not included. I would compile it myself but at this time I don't have the energy.<g> I hope the latest Scribus will be in the repos.
Granny the latest scribus is in the testing repo you can get it there via gslapt. We ran into space problems so something had to go............sorry about that!

Cheers,
Vec
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 02:39:35 pm »

Colonel panic
new vkeymapset is here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/Uelsk8s/vkmapset.new
copy it to /sbin and run it as root
let us know how it works for you.

Hi. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it doesn't, unfortunately. I changed to "uk" and still ended up with the same (wrong) keystrokes that I had before.

I also copied /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-layout-keyboard.conf to the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d subdirectory, and then changed XKBLayout from "us" to "uk" in the 90-layout file as you suggested. On rebooting (which would have restarted X), I ended up with no keyboard in X at all.

Sorry but I'd rather tell you the truth than not; there's no point in pretending that everything's hunky dory when it isnt, especially in a "Bugs" development thread.

Cheers,
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: