VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 02:37:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Vectorlinux7 RC3.4 bug reports and comments  (Read 14913 times)
solex

« Reply #60 on: October 26, 2011, 04:09:53 pm »

Will this version be update-able through gslapt and future fixes and updates in the 7 series?
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: October 26, 2011, 09:06:38 pm »

Vincent2 said
Now running skype 2.2.0.35 on vl7stdrc34, mic sound still quite choppy not very clear, while i can hear the recipient voice very clearly.
any code or command to fix up sound quality and choppy mic?

I haven't moved to RC3.4 (sorry, but time requires that I wait for VL 7 and my RC version of VL7 works quite well).  However on Google Call (gmail), google voice, twinkle, linphone and ekiga, I get poor sound about half the time.   Usually I can hear better than the callee.  Until I saw your post, I assumed the problem was with either my internet speed or with diamondcardus.  I would like to reduce reliance on my landlines.  Does anyone think it (poor voice quality) might be an operating system problem?

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #62 on: October 27, 2011, 03:06:53 am »

Now running skype 2.2.0.35 on vl7stdrc34, mic sound still quite choppy not very clear, while i can hear the recipient voice very clearly.
any code or command to fix up sound quality and choppy mic?

I haven't moved to RC3.4 (sorry, but time requires that I wait for VL 7 and my RC version of VL7 works quite well).  However on Google Call (gmail), google voice, twinkle, linphone and ekiga, I get poor sound about half the time.   Usually I can hear better than the callee.  Until I saw your post, I assumed the problem was with either my internet speed or with diamondcardus.  I would like to reduce reliance on my landlines.  Does anyone think it (poor voice quality) might be an operating system problem?

Bonjour!
with same laptop Booting to Mandriva , skype voice quality 's always good even on some occasion when internet speed's low at peak hours of the day.
booting into Knoppix , sound qulity remains poor with skype.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #63 on: October 27, 2011, 08:59:07 am »

Colonel Panic,
XFCE includes a keyboard configurator in the control panel. This can be used to graphically select the keyboard layout on a per-user basis.

Have you tried creating a new user account to see if the vlkbdset changes properly reflect there? I would recommend opening vasm up again and making sure that your keyboard selection is still "remembered" in vasm, then creating a new user account from vasm. Login to xfce as that new user and see if the keyboard settings are in effect.

NOTE, unlike commandline, the Xorg keyboard layout is called "gb". However the vasm selection dialog displays it as "uk" for familiarity and silently handles the name change for Xorg in the background.

Hi. A brief update; I did create a new user account and carry out the tests you suggest, and the answer, unfortunately, is no - it doesn't transfer the changes I make in my root account to a new user account. I couldn't get it to recognise vlkbdset from the new user account either.

I was however able to change the keyboard from the XFCE system menu, and the changes were preserved when I next booted Vector up and logged in as root.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: October 27, 2011, 09:01:48 am »

Sorry, but I'm bailing from this distro testing cycle.
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »

If a wireless pcmcia card is not present at bootup time, wicd does not detect the hotplug. If you hotplug a pcmcia wifi card after bootup, then wicd settings must manually be configured under General Settings and in the Wireless Interface field. Once this field is set to wlan0, wicd starts functioning properly for the hotplugged card.

I wonder if this also the case for inserting a USB wifi or ethernet device after the computer is booted up...

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 09:21:08 pm »

Kdenlive listed in vlQwikPicks won't install due to dependencies. It needs deps from the testing repo which of course is not enabled by default.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 11:14:53 pm »

I wrote: "... I get poor sound about half the time. ..."  Today was good example.  Twinkle via Diamondcard was fussy all day, requiring me to use landline, but I had to work tonight and Twinkle via Diamondcard worked perfectly for hours tonight. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
scififry

« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2011, 08:43:32 am »

Installed on ThinkPad R40 last night, installation only took about 15 minutes and now I'm posting from somewhere else with it  Grin

Keyboard setting through the XFCE-Keyboard set up works, setting the TUI keyboard works; however setting the keyboard used at graphical login (the X keyboard) doesn't work.
Playing mp3s (I downloaded for fun to test it using ClipGrab) in Exaile works.

EDIT: Suspend doesn't work, and Thunar is bugging around; it already did in RC2.1 .
EDIT2: Thunar works now absolutely flawless. Mayhaps it has something to do with this startup check which was noted here some time ago.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 12:47:33 pm by scififry » Logged
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #69 on: October 29, 2011, 12:41:28 pm »

suspend doesn't work for me either...Is there a way to enable this?

greets

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
niiler

« Reply #70 on: November 01, 2011, 09:11:52 am »

The install (on /dev/sda1) went smoothly until the very end.  It did not want to install LILO, so I installed GRUB.  (Both to MBR) Also, it did not seem to detect previous users in the home directory.  When I rebooted to finish the configuration, GRUB seemed to work, but after UDEV loaded the screen turned all pixelated almost like in the days when a bad xorg.conf file would burn up your monitor.  Trying to boot to tui resulted in the same thing.  My attempts to boot to the previously installed system (VL 6.0 SOHO) on /dev/sda2 resulted in a login screen but no mouse or keyboard.  (Very weird!).  Attempting to reinstall LILO instead seemed to bork everything and all devices seemed to show that the kernels were not valid ELF files.

Any wisdom on restoring a MBR?  I would prefer to use LILO since I'm used to it, but I know everyone else seems to be moving towards GRUB.  I have attempted to use the install disk to boot, and although I don't get the ELF errors, I do get the same original problems cited above (pixelation on one count and no mouse/keyboard on another).  

[Update:  Did a reinstall, except I tried installing GRUB first instead of LILO.  This seemed to work.  I didn't get a pixelated screen and the boot process proceeded.  I got to vlconf and managed to get everything set up.  In order to get the cairo-dock working, I had to copy settings from the root directory into my home directory after deleting the original config files.  I wasn't prompted to use a clean config as I have been in the past.  I have not yet tried to get into my prior install of VLSOHO-6.0, but the release candidate seems to be working just fine at this point now that it's installed.  Thanks for all the work!]
niiler

« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2011, 10:14:13 am »

One other thing... In VL6.0, I never had any printer issues, especially with my HP PSC 2110.  In fact, I seem to recall it being discovered by HAL automatically without me having to configure CUPS except for sharing.  With the upgrade to 7.0, the printer is not found automatically, and I needed to use hp-setup (as root) to get it installed.  However, it would not print test pages.  All printing seemed to pause after throwing an error: [Paused - "/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp failed" ].  Resuming the printer, restarting CUPS, and cursing colorfully had no effect.  Interestingly CUPS can't find the printer on USB when doing a search.  I know that ideally, it should be run via hplip and hp-setup, but in the past, it would function as a printer without hp-setup. 

So... is this a known issue with either cups-1.4.6 or hplip?  Should I recompile hplip or cups, or am I missing some obvious config option?

Thanks!
niiler

« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2011, 10:21:31 am »

Edit 2 - I don't think installing the fglrx driver will work as this is a pretty old card that isn't supported any longer. The driver works up to xorg 7.4, and I think we're way beyond that now, correct?

Edit 3 - Yeah. Got this error when I tried to install the driver.

which: no XFree86 in (/sbin:/usr/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games:/usr/lib/java/bin:/opt/kde3/lib/qt3/bin:/opt/kde3/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin)

Error: ./default_policy.sh does not support version
default:v2:i686:lib::none:3.0.4; make sure that the version is being
correctly set by --iscurrentdistro

Removing temporary directory: fglrx-install.JGtHtU

**cry**

My desktop has a Radeon HD 2400 card which needed a proper fglrx install because I needed the split screen/video out capability afforded by the proprietary driver.  I tried using ati-driver-installer-10-7 which I had in my downloads cache and got the same error.  I had to download the latest/greatest from AMD/ATI and compile to get it to work.  Anyhow, I think you are out of luck if your card is older.  Ahhh.... progress!
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2011, 02:30:57 pm »

Yeah. The notebook has an x1250 in it.

Looking to snag another contract so I can pay for a new notebook. **sigh**

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2011, 11:44:57 pm »

So... is this a known issue with either cups-1.4.6 or hplip?  Should I recompile hplip or cups, or am I missing some obvious config option?
Niiler did you try system-config-printer its the print option in menu under system heading or you can run from terminal system-config-printer see if you have any better luck. Let me know to see if I still need to play with printing sub system some............... Huh

Cheers,
Vec
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: