VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 12:48:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: Vectorlinux7 RC3.4 bug reports and comments  (Read 12183 times)
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #75 on: November 04, 2011, 10:15:56 am »

Elinks can't read its own homepage. If it's downloaded to local disk by ff or wget, elinks'll display it; just can't retrieve-and-display. There are many other pages like this, but I figure this one's the most embarrassing.

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
niiler

« Reply #76 on: November 04, 2011, 08:25:38 pm »

So... is this a known issue with either cups-1.4.6 or hplip?  Should I recompile hplip or cups, or am I missing some obvious config option?
Niiler did you try system-config-printer its the print option in menu under system heading or you can run from terminal system-config-printer see if you have any better luck. Let me know to see if I still need to play with printing sub system some............... Huh

Cheers,
Vec
Hi Vec,

I've been doing some research on this (still no joy) and have found answers ranging from

1) starting avahidaemon before starting cupsd (starting with cups 1.4)
2) blacklisting usblp starting with cups 1.3
3) clearing out /var/spool/cups when upgrading
4) using a new /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file when upgrading.   

I have used hp-setup/hp-toolbox to clean the print heads successfully.  I can likewise do this using system-config-printer and the cups web interface. 

So the printer is detected and installable, and I can even check the ink levels, but I just can't print to the darn thing!

I'll keep plugging away this weekend.  With luck, my printer will change back from a paper-weight.

Thanks,
Tim N.
(P.S.  On all other fronts, VL7.0 sparkles.  Very nice work!)
Scott271

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2011, 10:16:38 am »

Howdy all,

Giving this a try on a Toshiba laptop that's already running Slackware 13.37. Using the graphic installer, when I get to the format step and try to choose "Other" to recognize the Slack install the screen goes completely gray. The only thing I can do is right click and choose to reboot. Using the text installer, there is not "Other" option. LILO did detect it and add it to lilo.conf, but I haven't had a chance to boot into it yet as I'm playing around with this.

I'm also having some touchpad issues with regards to scrolling.

Scott
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2011, 10:46:18 am »

So... is this a known issue with either cups-1.4.6 or hplip?  Should I recompile hplip or cups, or am I missing some obvious config option?
Niiler did you try system-config-printer its the print option in menu under system heading or you can run from terminal system-config-printer see if you have any better luck. Let me know to see if I still need to play with printing sub system some............... Huh

Cheers,
Vec
Hi Vec,

I've been doing some research on this (still no joy) and have found answers ranging from

1) starting avahidaemon before starting cupsd (starting with cups 1.4)
2) blacklisting usblp starting with cups 1.3
3) clearing out /var/spool/cups when upgrading
4) using a new /etc/cups/cupsd.conf file when upgrading.    

I have used hp-setup/hp-toolbox to clean the print heads successfully.  I can likewise do this using system-config-printer and the cups web interface.  

So the printer is detected and installable, and I can even check the ink levels, but I just can't print to the darn thing!

I'll keep plugging away this weekend.  With luck, my printer will change back from a paper-weight.

Thanks,
Tim N.
(P.S.  On all other fronts, VL7.0 sparkles.  Very nice work!)

This HP printer issue is bugging me too.  I can set-up and print as cups only just fine, even can set up scan with a little tinkering, but cups quality of print is not satisfactory for pictures so I would like to us hplip.  However, as mentioned above any attempt to use hplip fails.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:58:36 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
roarde
Vectorite

move the needle

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2011, 10:05:51 pm »

There's no 'whois' command.

Robert
VL Light 7.0, icewm/spacefm
niiler

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:25 am »

[
This HP printer issue is bugging me too.  I can set-up and print as cups only just fine, even can set up scan with a little tinkering, but cups quality of print is not satisfactory for pictures so I would like to us hplip.  However, as mentioned above any attempt to use hplip fails.

Made this vid to show...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4EHh5EDPN8

Hi stretchedthin, your screencast demonstrates EXACTLY what I have been encountering only I never got things to print initially.  I have even compiled hplip-3.10.11 with vlpackager using several different config options (it looks like hpijs is completely deprecated at this point unless you use some VERY arcane config options).  I have also recompiled cups (1.4.6 and 1.5.0) using vlpackager and using slackbuild scripts.  Vlpackager doesn't work on this nor does src2pkg or a more recent version of checkinstall.  The first two create a mostly empty package after compiling most everything indicating a nonstandard 'make install' command in cups.  The last gets everything, but seems to point to device nodes instead of file names.  Very weird.  The slackbuild scripts DO work, and give a running version of cups which passes all tests.  I would test it with another printer, only I've just donated a lot of my older hardware. 

In any case, with apparently working packages of both my creation as well as the originals, I am unable to print anything using HPLIP or cups in general although all the functionality but the printing seems to be there. 

Since you were originally able to get your printer working, it gives me hope that the issue is entirely with hplip.  I do wonder if hplip is fully compatible with the new linux kernel, but I haven't followed that rabbit down the hole yet.  At this point, so long as I can get the printer working, even if the color isn't so good and the output looks like dot-matrix, I'll be happy.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #81 on: November 07, 2011, 04:10:06 am »

On two different machines, valsaconf does not find the sound card (Intel HDA). However, the sound mixer sees it and sound works.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: November 07, 2011, 01:16:28 pm »

@niiler

Not sure how much you have changed on your system, but try the following.

as root delete the following files... (use the wildcard to get rid of .new or .default ones as well.

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf*
/etc/cups/printers.conf*
/etc/cups/snmp.conf*
/etc/hp/hplip.conf

Then (still as root)
removepkg /var/log/packages/hplip*
removepkg /var/log/packages/cups-1.*

In gslapt install cups version 1.4.6

Download this new hplip that vector made ... and install it.
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/vec7/hplip-3.11.7-i586-2vl70.txz

You should now have some new drivers for your printer
Code:
/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp-laserjet_2100_series-hpijs-pcl3.ppd.gz
/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp-laserjet_2100-ps.ppd.gz
/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp-laserjet_2100_series-ps.ppd.gz
/usr/share/ppd/HP/hp-laserjet_2100-hpijs.ppd.gz

as root do
lsmod | grep usblp
is you see the module then good. You need it, with this cups version.  I think it was configured to use it. Without it, it will not see usb.
If you do not see it then... (also as root)
Make sure you have not blacklisted it.  Then...
modprobe usblp

To set up the printer use "Manage Printing" in the system menu. It will start the cups interface and under the administration tab you can add a printer.
About the thrid step in you can select the ppd. You may have to play with a couple different ones for best result but for me it was the one of the ones with hpijs in the title.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:57:47 am by stretchedthin » Logged

niiler

« Reply #83 on: November 07, 2011, 03:33:40 pm »

@niiler

Not sure how much you have changed on your system, but try the following.

Hi stretchedthin,

Did as directed and... first time, no go.  I unplugged and replugged the printer to see if udev would find it, but this didn't seem to help.  I then repeated the process, this time also deleting all files in /etc/cups/ppd/.  On this attempt, the printer was listed as USB rather than via hplip resulting in a final setup like this:

Description:   HP PSC 2100 Series
Driver:   HP PSC 2100 Series hpijs, 3.11.7 (color, 2-sided printing)
Connection:   usb://HP/PSC%202100%20Series?serial=MY35KF555F0F

The printer test page came out fine.  Now on to ensuring that I can scan without breaking printing!    Thanks folks!

[update]
Scanning works fine.  I have not messed with the hplip stuff at all, and xsane seemed to just find the scanner:

hpaio:/usb/PSC_2100_Series?serial=MY35KF555F0F

Just out of curiousity, do we know where the printing was going wrong? 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 03:53:33 pm by niiler » Logged
Scott271

« Reply #84 on: November 07, 2011, 05:29:29 pm »

So..... I can't get my laptop touchpad to scroll. I've edited xorg.conf like so:

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
 Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
 Driver        "synaptics"
 Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
 Option        "Device"            "/dev/psaux"
 Option        "Protocol"          "auto-dev"
 Option        "SHMconfig"         "true"
 Option        "HorizScrollDelta"  "1"
 Option        "VertEdgeScroll"  "1"
 Option        "HorizEdgeScroll"  "1"
 Option        "TapButton1"  "1"
EndSection

am I missing something? I have no vert or horiz scroll, or double-tap to grab a window. Any/all help is appreciated.

TIA,
Scott
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: November 07, 2011, 07:17:16 pm »

@niiler
Just out of curiousity, do we know where the printing was going wrong? 

Couple areas.  First and formost was hplip selection of ppd's in the default package.  It was minimal at best.  Other printer users, canon, epson, etc would not be effected by this but hp users where.

Second is the hplip application itself.  I've tested out a number of distro's other than VL that have simply scrapped hp-toolkit and hp-setup executables and the .desktop file and notifier and only make use of the ppd's that hplip provide.

I'm thinking that there must be some issues with it for them to have taken that step.  However, it would be a nice issue to solve as ink levels, aligning, and cleaning are some things hp-toolbox can do that cups can not.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2011, 11:20:27 am »

@niiler, @rxMokka, @oMasta
or any hp printer user.

Would like help testing a fix.  There is a new hplip-3.11.10-i586-5vl70 in the gslapt repositories.

Remove whatever printers you have set-up already.

Remove the old and install the new.

Then either reboot or unplug/plug you printer.

This is only a hplip rebuild so if you have made wierd changes to cups along the way and it is not working this will not help.

*What this is...
This build contains over 870 ppd's for hp printers so everyone should be covered, except perhaps an unlucky few.
There are no duplicates of hpijs, or cups ppd's so config-system-printing should get it right the first time everytime.
There is no gui application. I scrapped hp-toolbox, seemed to be more trouble than it was worth.
There is a fix in this build so all hp scanners should be detected now.

PS, there is a 64bit version in the repositories as well.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:57:17 am by stretchedthin » Logged

sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2011, 08:41:33 pm »

Stretchedthin: 
Would like help testing a fix.  There is a new hplip-3.11.10-i586-5vl70 in the gslapt repositories.

This printer discussion is most appreciated.  I will do my best to give it a try this weekend.  I am not yet on RC3.4 but suspect that won't matter.  I haven't been able to print on my office hp laserjet for months (since I moved from VL 6).  USB port on VL7 doesn't see it, either because of change in VL or change in CUPS.  But I can print wireless to our big and very fast Xerox copier/scanner, using the proper ppd.  Probably save a lot on ink, too, as I print a lot.

That (printing to Xerox) is cool.  Might not have tried it but for the trouble, so I guess there is a silver lining in every cloud.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
niiler

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2011, 07:54:41 pm »

@niiler, @rxMokka, @oMasta
or any hp printer user.

Would like help testing a fix.  There is a new hplip-3.11.10-i586-5vl70 in the gslapt repositories.

Right... I'll try it this weekend if I can get my wife off the computer.  :-P
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2011, 08:21:35 pm »

Stretchedthin,

I followed the instructions in your November 7 1:16 pm email (above) and it installed fine.  I then removed Vector's hplip 3.11.7 and installed hplip 3.11.10 from the repository and got the error "hplip: Depends: avahi >= 0.6.30."    Most likely this is because I haven't updated to the latest VL 7 beta.  Anyway, my son has the car so I can't try it now on my office hp.  But I hope to tomorrow.  I have reinstalled hhplip 3.11.7.   I bet it works.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: