VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 02:43:46 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux7 RC-2.1 ready to test  (Read 2991 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: August 18, 2011, 11:17:59 pm »

I know everyone wanted to see "final" in this announce, but two problems occured with the rc2 that needed addressing and testing before we can do the final. The random freezing was the most trouble some and firewall loop took second. We have a new firewall now called ufw with a gui frontend called gufw that should cure the firewall problem. The random freeze is a bit trickier as it is most likely a kernel problem. We updated the kernel to version 2.6.38.8 paying special attention to any configuration areas that might cause the freeze. We also updated firefox to 5.0 and a few other packages like gnome-mplayer and gecko media player. We really need those people that experienced any problems with rc-2.0 to try this and let us know of any progress. I like all of you want to see vl7 final real soon so the quicker we can put these bugs to bed the better. Thanks for your patience and support.

Cheers,
Vector

links:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-RC2.1.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-RC2.1.md5sum
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7RC2toRC2.1.delta
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:34 pm »

missing extra repo as default in slapt-get/gslapt
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

I would like to try VL 7.0 rc 2.1 but am worried about the substantial time involved in getting my programs and files up and running.  I have been running VL 7, rc 2 quite a while now and it is working fine, with the exceptions mentioned by Vector in the first post on this thread. So I am planning on doing the following:

1. open grsync
2. copy my /home drive to my external hard drive
3. run grsync not as root (had to run it several times and delete 4 files...would not "complete successfully" otherwise)
4. download VL 7 rc2.1
5. Install it without partitioning my home partition.
6.  See what happens.
7.  If it works, report problems.

I will try this now, be off for a while, and report any problems in "bugs."

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:32:14 am »

I've downloaded the iso and tried to burn it off but so far no luck. Maybe a bad burn or something.

Can someone please check for me whether or not the bug which made it impossible to set the keyboard to UK when installing Vector RC (and which I mentioned earlier) has been fixed?

Thanks in advance,

CP .
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 03:22:35 am »

Sorry, but in the absence of any replies I have to assume that the problem still persists, rather than undertaking another 700 MB download.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 11:20:09 pm »

My 2c here: don't be in any hurry to release VL7. Wait until Christmas if necessary and get it right. It doesn't seem to be there yet.

-CP
scififry

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2011, 01:39:25 am »

Can someone please check for me whether or not the bug which made it impossible to set the keyboard to UK when installing Vector RC (and which I mentioned earlier) has been fixed?
Just booted it up on an AthlonXP box to test setting it to a German keyboard, does not work. However, setting it on the installed system afterwards works (for Linux TUI keyboard and X keyboard).

My 2c here: don't be in any hurry to release VL7. Wait until Christmas if necessary and get it right. It doesn't seem to be there yet.
Don't pressure the developers here in any way, they're doing it in their free time!  Angry
Also, it's working pretty well. A keyboard map is really very little to panic about, especially if it can be easily set afterwards. And it's not much to type within the actual installer, my recommendation for flawless typing on other keyboard layouts:
Just open a terminal, type everything needed in there, and then copy-paste.
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 04:01:14 am »

Don't pressure the developers here in any way, they're doing it in their free time!  Angry

I'm not, I'm saying I think it ought to be released only when it's good and ready. If there isn't much wrong, it shouldn't take long to fix.

Also, it's working pretty well. A keyboard map is really very little to panic about, especially if it can be easily set afterwards. And it's not much to type within the actual installer, my recommendation for flawless typing on other keyboard layouts:
Just open a terminal, type everything needed in there, and then copy-paste.

True but for a final release, which Vector 7 will be, I don't believe you should have to.

We're probably going to have to agree to differ on this. IMO, a distro should only be released when it's the best it can get, especially with the tough competition in the Linux distro world nowadays.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2011, 04:07:48 am by Colonel Panic » Logged
scififry

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 04:55:08 am »

Of course a distro should only be released final when it's good, and IMO that bug has to be fixed for making final.

But until christmas sounded a bit sarcastically to the developers Wink
furydragon

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 08:10:09 am »

I just setup VL 7 RC2.1 on my desktop. Previous OS was VL 6.0 Std. I formatted root partition and keep /home partition during install. System installed ok  but after reboot it couldn't start (couldn't find some libraries). Commands "path" and "export path={directory_name}" answer "command path not found". Command startx doesn't work (couldn't find some libraries).
Live release VL 7.0 RC2.0 works fine.
Any suggestions?
Colonel Panic
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2011, 08:29:57 am »

Of course a distro should only be released final when it's good, and IMO that bug has to be fixed for making final.

I didn't mean it that way, and I'm sorry if that's how it was taken. I was trying to say that Christmas would be a good time to release it (for the Christmas market) and would give the devs plenty of time to correct any problems.

Glad we agree that it should be right before it's released though.
furydragon

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2011, 01:40:03 pm »

I just setup VL 7 RC2.1 on my desktop. Previous OS was VL 6.0 Std. I formatted root partition and keep /home partition during install. System installed ok  but after reboot it couldn't start (couldn't find some libraries). Commands "path" and "export path={directory_name}" answer "command path not found". Command startx doesn't work (couldn't find some libraries).
Live release VL 7.0 RC2.0 works fine.
Any suggestions?

Sorry, my problems can be connected with bad CDrom. Test installation in Virtual Box on other machine normal and distro works.
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2011, 01:43:35 pm »

Hey, scififry,...
Christmas is just around the corner! (coming too soon for my poor wallet, really, LOL!).  And the devs know that we're just so eager to have our Vector 7 that we're "chewing at the bit",...but very patient at the same time.  It'll be good when it's ready,.......
scififry

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 03:34:21 pm »

Oh right, almost forgot that it's already October, time passes quickly... Roll Eyes

VectorLinux 7.0 is definitely going to be AWESOME! Just played some games I installed using VLQuikPicks - finest 3D rendering and sound on an oldy ThinkPad R40!  Grin
niiler

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:11 pm »

Just did a download to install on a friend's computer.  There were a couple of oddities.

1) The computer has an old IDE hard drive (hdb) and a SATA drive (sda) as listed under VL5.9.1.  These were detected by the installer as sda and sdb respectively. (Note the mapping from hdb -> sda, and sda -> sdb)  I've never seen this before in hundreds of previous installs.  It was no big deal, but a bit puzzling at first.

2) LILO wouldn't install from the installer.  I'm afraid I don't recall the exact error other than it failing. When installing I generally preserve the prior version on one partition and load the newer version on another, just in case.   A reboot brought up the older LILO, untouched and booted me into VL5.9.1 now on /dev/sdb1.  Using the installation disk (linux root=/dev/sdb2 ro) I booted to the newly installed version, and ran LILO from VASM and everything worked fine. 

3) There were some profile migration troubles.  In the past, I could simply choose to delete prior xsession defaults and everything was smooth.  However, I didn't see this option, and the result was that I couldn't login as the user, except through an xterm. The error involved something like "Couldn't find Xconfig file" or something of that nature.  Logging onto X as root was fine.  I ended up adding a new user and deleting the older one after copying files as this seemed to be the fastest way to get things up.  I'm sure there is a config file somewhere in that original user's home directory that is, perhaps referring to /etc/X11/xorg.conf and that this is the root of the problem as I'm running without xorg.conf.

4) My friend has an HP MFC printer which cups found as a usb:// device.  It worked out of the box for printing.  However, when I tried to use hp-setup, it was impossible to add it that way.  An error occured at the very end of the process stating "Printer queue setup failed. Please restart CUPS and try again".   This last part was important as it seems that you need an HP MFC device to be added via hplip (hp-setup) in order to use its scanning and fax functions.  I'm not sure what happened here, but one lead I got was that perhaps one needs membership in the "lpadmin" group to properly add printers (http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=566692).  We have an "lp" group, but not, I think, an "lpadmin" group. It shouldn't matter, but there it is.

Other than that.... WOW!  I never knew XFCE could look so good.  I'm I die-hard KDE4 fan and this made me consider switching...  Everything else *just works*.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: