VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 01:16:31 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: RC 3.4, Wireless & Firefox  (Read 1513 times)
Canuck

« on: October 12, 2011, 06:08:12 am »

This morning I burned an iso image of VL 7..0, RC 3.4 and booted it in my Lenovo Thinkpad E520.   To my amazement and complete satisfaction, my wireless was found and easily connected  (RealTek), a rare occurrence on most recent distros.

However, when I opened Firefox and tried to connect to any website, I got the dreaded message,  'Server could not be found'

What am I doing incorrectly?   I really would like to use Vector (have been a long time fan), but I need help in getting connected with Firefox.   The fact that my wireless works 'out of the box' is a big plus.

Thanks for helping
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:52 am »

Did your wireless get an IP from the router?
Canuck

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 07:16:47 am »

Rebooted the LIVE RC 4.3 and this time, I was connected, Firefox worked and I found the IP address in the connection information.
BUT, then my wife connected to the internet with her wired connection, Windows 7, on her laptop.    At that point, (my correlation may be spurious) I was no longer able to connect to any web address.   I checked the characteristics and had to type in the IP address (which I had recorded on paper a few moments before).  However, that address no longer worked.   Rechecking the characteristics, I found the 'permanent' IP address, a Netmask of 255.255.255.0 and Gateway.

Hope this helps.    Alternatively, my error may lie in typing in a 'permanent' IP address.    I am clearly not an expert in such matters
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:52:43 pm »

How you setup your network IP setting? Via DHCP?
DO you know the IP of your router?
If yes...once boot to RC3.4 LIVE try to ping the router IP in terminal

ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

If it work mean your connection is working fine. If you having problem connecting to the internet please your DNS setting...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: