VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:30:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: file manager used to copy or move but not in VL-7  (Read 1121 times)
leobing

« on: October 24, 2011, 02:30:26 pm »

I am using Vl-7 rc3.4 and I like it very much but in older VL versions I used to use the file manager to copy or move files from emails or directories to another place but that option does not seem to be there. I like to copy from incoming emails to a different drive for later perusal but I can't seem to do that easily. I have to save the files to my home/leo and then open 2 Thunar file managers and drag the file from one drive to the other drive. Is there a way to make Thunar file manager do this or is there another file manager I can install? In older Vector versions there was konqueror that I used but it is not in this VL7.
I am running an AMD triple core CPU with 2 320 g drives and 3 gigs mem.

LINUX: no virus, no worms, no spyware, so why Microsoft?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2011, 05:09:38 pm »

...In older Vector versions there was konqueror that I used but it is not in this VL7.
I believe this statement would mean that you were using a VL SOHO edition (i.e. KDE desktop environment rather than XFCE). I'd imagine that VL will come out with another SOHO edition for v7 after the Standard edition is released in which you'd probably find konqueror to accomplish your task. The other option may be to install konqueror in VL 7 Standard (which will include many KDE libraries) which might give you the functionality you're after without having to wait for the official SOHO version to be released. If I'm wrong I bet someone will correct me and set you straight.

Hope this helps.

Edit:
It looks like there is a KDE meta package here that could be installed to get the entire KDE desktop environment installed. This is most likely a big download and install but it might be what you're after. See this thread for more info on the package release: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15093.0
« Last Edit: October 24, 2011, 05:14:33 pm by newt » Logged
leobing

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2011, 08:40:12 pm »

No; I am using Xfce as it came in the VL-7 RC3.4 iso CD.
I will wait and see how the final version of VL-7 is.
Thanks for the reply

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 06:28:14 am »

My previous reply may have been misleading. What I was attempting to say was that the older VL version you used that contained konqueror may have been a SOHO (KDE) version. As it turns out, it may also have been a Classic (KDE) version.

It's very unlikely that when VL 7 Standard is released that you'll find konqueror because that it usually only found on SOHO or Classic versions. Of course you could always try the kde meta package to get the functionality you're after.
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2011, 02:50:48 am »

Some popular packages from the VL 6 repository listed Konqueror as a dependency though it was not needed by the package and nothing there was KDE-related. So it's quite possible to have Konqueror on a non-KDE VL 6 without knowing how it got there.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
leobing

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2011, 08:30:47 am »

I am not looking for konqueror as much as just the file manager that was in VL6 versions.
The file manager now does not allow me to copy or move files.
I can do this by command line but it is more work.
I am going to do that till the gui way of moving files works.
As I said, I like VL 7 and have quite got used to its ways.
Thanks for all your help.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2011, 09:24:56 am »

I am not looking for konqueror as much as just the file manager that was in VL6 versions.

VectorLinux 6 Standard Gold uses Thunar (by default)
VectorLinux 6 Light uses PCManFM (by default)
VectorLinux 6 Classic uses Konqueror (by default)
VectorLinus 6 SOHO uses Dolphin (by default)

As you can see it really depends on the specific "flavor" of VL6 that you were using. Do you recall which "flavor" of VL6 you were using?
eco2geek

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2011, 08:55:23 pm »

The file manager now does not allow me to copy or move files.

Sure it does, if you're talking about Thunar. (You are talking about Thunar, aren't you?)

You can grab hold of a file's icon in the right-hand pane and drop it onto a folder to move it there, or use the context menu (right-click and select "Cut" or "Copy", etc.), or highlight a file icon and select "Cut" or "Copy" from the "Edit" menu.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: