VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 08:15:45 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL7.0-STD-RC1.iso and VL7.0-STD-RC2.iso  (Read 1017 times)
warpman

« on: October 14, 2011, 08:56:11 pm »

Guys, what does the RC stands for on these isos? Is that like a release 1 release 2? Should I go ahead and download RC2 instead of RC1?
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 10:21:36 pm »

rc stands for release candidate you  want the latest which is RC3.4............release candidate is just a nice way of saying we are almost there but a few things to go for a bug free release with fingers crossed.

cheers,
Vec
warpman

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 08:17:12 am »

rc stands for release candidate you  want the latest which is RC3.4............release candidate is just a nice way of saying we are almost there but a few things to go for a bug free release with fingers crossed.

cheers,
Vec
Thanks for the info Vector. I went ahead and downloaded RC1 last night and install it on 2 laptops that I have. One of them is an old Sony Vaio and the other one is a newer laptop. Well, let me tell you, it took probably more than an hour for the installation to complete on the old Sony and it took like 30 minutes if not more to complete on the Acer. I'm not sure what was wrong with it but dear god! It took forever compare to the other versions. Vector is one of the fastest installs I have seen so this was really weird that it took forever. I even try different ways but it still too forever.
Today I'm going to try RC2 which I believe is the latest under this link: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/
I'm crossing my fingers that the installation is not going to take as long. I will keep you posted. Thanks for the info.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 08:36:50 am »

warpman, go for the latest one here: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-STD-RC3.4.iso
warpman

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 02:45:03 pm »

Nightflier, I went ahead and installed RC2 and it took about 1hr and 5 minutes to complete the installation on my newer laptop. So, I didnt even try to install it on my older laptop.

A little while ago i completed installing the version that you mention and it still took about an hour to install. Why is the install taking that long?

I have version 6 light running on my older laptop which with on 256mb of memory and its actually kind of fast. I was going to install this version of VL but I'm just afraid that is going to take way to long to install.

Is there a version 7 light that I might be able to install on my old Sony VAIO laptop?

Another question, I have my old laptop working just the way I want it. How to I perform an upgrade instead of installing the new version from scratch?

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »

I have version 6 light running on my older laptop which with on 256mb of memory and its actually kind of fast. I was going to install this version of VL but I'm just afraid that is going to take way to long to install.

Is there a version 7 light that I might be able to install on my old Sony VAIO laptop?

Another question, I have my old laptop working just the way I want it. How to I perform an upgrade instead of installing the new version from scratch?

There is a very alpha 7 light live. "Very" alpha, as it's been offered for testing at an earlier stage than usual, if I read the posts right. There will be many changes before final release -- many already waiting to be added from recent changes to VL 7 STD RC's. So, it's buggy right now, will change, and it's a live - which will make it harder to install on that VAIO. In other words, no real option for you right now, but that should change.

To give you an idea about that Light alpha: On the machine in my signature, I sometimes had to add "memory" by mounting swap early. Without this, it sometimes failed, though most times not. I switched from 6 Light only because a hard drive failure forced a new installation. Like you, I would have liked to use a stable 6 Light, but it is more than a bit outdated.

As for upgrading 6 or 6 Light, it doesn't look like that'll be possible. That's being looked at for upgrading 7 to future versions, tho.
OK, honestly I'm playing with upgrading 6 but don't expect anything but my pains for my efforts Roll Eyes.

As for what to install on the rest, put VL 7 STD RC 3.4 on at least one of them because it's both the latest and most stable. For the rest, RC 3.4 on those if you have to do it now, or wait for the final release if you can. It shouldn't be long at all now.  Just remember to ignore me if someone more experienced (like nightflier) gets back in time with different advice Cheesy.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 06:52:05 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
warpman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 09:00:44 pm »

There is a very alpha 7 light live. "Very" alpha, as it's been offered for testing at an earlier stage than usual, if I read the posts right. There will be many changes before final release -- many already waiting to be added from recent changes to VL 7 STD RC's. So, it's buggy right now, will change, and it's a live - which will make it harder to install on that VAIO. In other words, no real option for you right now, but that should change.

To give you an idea about that Light alpha: On the machine in my signature, I sometimes had to add "memory" by mounting swap early. Without this, it sometimes failed, though most times not. I switched from 6 Light only because a hard drive failure forced a new installation. Like you, I would have liked to use a stable 6 Light, but it is more than a bit outdated.

As for upgrading 6 or 6 Light, it doesn't look like that'll be possible. That's being looked at for upgrading 7 to future versions, tho.
OK, honestly I'm playing with upgrading 6 but don't expect anything but my pains for my efforts Roll Eyes.

As for what to install on the rest, put VL 7 STD RC 3.4 on at least one of them because it's both the latest and most stable. For the rest, RC 3.4 on those if you have to do it now, or wait for the final release if you can. It shouldn't be long at all now.  Just remember to ignore me if someone more experienced (like nightflier) gets back in time with different advice Cheesy.
Thanks for the info roarder. I guess I will just have to wait. Thanks again.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: