VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 10:40:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Gateway Netbook wireless <NOT solved>  (Read 3506 times)
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« on: November 02, 2011, 06:38:49 pm »

I installed Vec6.0 Lite on a LT25 Gateway netbook and am unable to get a number of things to work.

First WiFi. I have none.
Wicd has been started and I tried to use VASM hardware configuration from a terminal to get it going. No luck

From online specs I get this
Communication    Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™ or 802.11b/g Wi-Fi CERTIFIED™1, 7,
I can't seem to locate specific hardware information. It seems this model can have Atheros, Broadcom, or Intel wireless chips.

lspci -nn gives me this
Code:
01:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Attansic Technology Corp. Unknown device 2060 [1969:2060](rev c1)
02:00.0 Network controller[2080]: Intel Corporation Unknown device [8086:0083]
cat /etc/modprob.conf
Code:
alias eth0 unknown

iwconfig
Code:
lo no wireless extensions

Now the questions
   1. I assume from the above that I have an Intel wireless card (chip)
      Is there a module or something I can use to get this going?
   2. If I have to use ndiswrapper do windows7 drivers work with it?
      Windows7 starter came installed on the netbook.
   3. Would I have better luck with Vec7RC3.4. Does it have better
      netbook support, newer kernel or such?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 08:53:57 am by InTheWoods » Logged
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2011, 08:24:11 pm »

A quick web search based on the PCI-ID (8086:0083) that you got from lspci seems to confirm that the Intel device is indeed your wifi controller. Seems this PCI-ID should be supported by a driver project called "IWLWIFI".

If you still have windows7 as dual boot, or have the drivers on CD... you could use these as an investigatory source to findout what type of chipset/model your card is. I haven't had the displeasure of working with ndiswrapper in quite some time so I can't say if it'll work with win7 drivers. Hopefully you won't have to find out ;-)

7 does have a newer kernel. Kernel version 3.0.4 on the ISO, and 3.0.8 in the repositories. I've seen some reports of problems with suspend/hibernate in 7RC3.4, but one of the two(I can't remember which) works for me on my desktop system.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
tictacPoc

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 11:47:53 am »

Hi,

Well I have installed vector 7 rc on my gateway LT30 with not any problem. All work correctly. Last years with Version 6 kde and work well too...   Be patient version 7 should fix your problems.

regard
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 05:27:59 pm »

Installed Vec7 and it is way easier to install on my netbook. driver problem is solved. I can see all of the nearby WiFi networks including my own

However I cannot connect. I keep getting a "bad password" error. I have checked and rechecked the password. It is correct and works for every other computer in the house. I have even tried other WPA2 options in the Wicd field where you enter your password.

The ethernet works fine. In fact I am posting from the Gateway netbook plugged into my router right now.

Any idea what obvious mistake I am making?
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

Seems to be working fine now.

I had to manually add my "essid" and "password" to /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 08:53:34 am »

I rebooted the netbook this morning no wireless. So I tried to run over the steps I used to get it going last night.
After going through the wireless HOW TO http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1282.0 again I am unable to get it going through any method.

I tried
Code:
wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
which appears to run with no errors but does not result in a connection.
and
Code:
wpa_gui
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
Terminated
and
Code:
gksu wpa_gui
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; the most common cause is a missing or misconfigured D-Bus session bus daemon. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details -  1: Failed to get connection to session: The connection is closed)
Qt: Session management error: Authentication Rejected, reason : None of the authentication protocols specified are supported and host-based authentication failed
g_dbus_connection_real_closed: Remote peer vanished with error: Underlying GIOStream returned 0 bytes on an async read (g-io-error-quark, 0). Exiting.
which I am hopeful may provide some useful information to someone who knows what they are looking at.

At all times the router is visible in Wicd.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:00:37 pm »

Don't know if this will help or not but I've always run wpa_supplicant with the '-Bw' switch so that the daemon waits for the control interface to come up. Again, I don't know if it'll be any help in you situation.
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 04:38:22 pm »

I've always run wpa_supplicant with the '-Bw'
I tried this. No go.

I tried unsuccessfully to install wicd 1.5.9 from source forge to see if it was a problem with Wicd 1.7.1

I also reinstalled wicd with gslapt and I now get an error message
Could not connect to wicd's D-Bus
interface. Check the wicd log for error messages.

I seem to recall a D-Bus error message before.

where is the wicd log?
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 10:46:07 pm »

where is the wicd log?
/var/log/wicd/wicd.log

But first, as root do     rm /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid    then reboot and try wicd again.
While booting, look for "Starting wicd . . . OK". If you don't see it, enable wicd in vasm.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2011, 05:51:13 pm »

pierce.jason
Seems this PCI-ID should be supported by a driver project called "IWLWIFI"

From http://intellinuxwireless.org/
Note: The iwlwifi driver has been merged into mainline kernel since 2.6.24. If you are using kernels after this release, please use the intree (drivers/net/wireless/iwlwifi) driver directly.
Since Vec7.0 is using the 3.0.4 kernel iwlwifi must be in this kernel.
What does it mean to use the intree driver directly?

roarde
But first, as root do     rm /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid    then reboot and try wicd again.
While booting, look for "Starting wicd . . . OK". If you don't see it, enable wicd in vasm

Did not see "Starting wicd".
EDIT: I tried the hibernate feature and when I restarted I did indeed see "starting wicd"
Neither do I see an option in Vasm to start it. I assumed  it would be under
Service>>SRVSET>>Graphical user interface Desktop>>Wicd:Wicd daemon
like in Vec6.0.
It is not there. It must therefore not be running?

I did get an XP driver and attempted ndiswrapper. However it appears that the "Wireless How To" which was written for Vec5.8 is now out of date.

From within the folder containing drivername.inf and drivername.sys
Code:
ndiswrapper -i drivername.inf
then
Code:
ndiswrapper -l
shows the driver installed but does not show "hardware present"

The "How To" says to make sure that you create "alias wlan0 ndiswrapper" in /etc/modprobe.conf then
Code:
ndiswrapper -m
This gives
Code:
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
module configuration already contains directive.

So I continue with
Code:
depmod -aq
which seems to complete, but
Code:
modprobe ndiswrapper
fails
Code:
WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
module configuration already contains directive.
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
This happens even if /etc/modprobe.conf is an empty file.

End of attempt at using ndiswrapper
« Last Edit: November 05, 2011, 06:36:36 pm by InTheWoods » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 01:16:33 am »

VL6 Light does not start wicd automatically.
What happens when you run these commands?
as root:
Code:
killall wicd wicd-client
rm /var/run/wicd/wicd.pid
wicd
then, as regular user:
Code:
wicd-client

InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2011, 06:22:25 am »

Same result. The terminal gives the following:
Code:
warning: ignoring exception org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply.
Possible causes include:
the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply,
the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

I did not mention earlier but at the begining of a connection attempt the entire system freezes and wicd displays
Code:
Disconecting active connections........
The entire system freezes for at least 60 seconds after a connection attempt.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2011, 10:26:44 am »

Try to bypass the whole wicd/dbus issue. As root, run those wicd/wicd-client kill commands, then try "VLwifi".
InTheWoods
Vectorite

« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2011, 04:39:30 pm »

Tried the above.
VLwifi finds wlan0 but when I attempt to connect to my router I get this error message.
Code:
FAILED
could not obtain an address for wireless interface wlan0

<edit>
Here is the output from the terminal with the hardware address replaced with xx
Code:
Starting network wlan0 using a DHCP server...
dhcpcd[3379]: version 5.2.12 starting
dhcpcd[3379]: wlan0: using hwaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
dhcpcd[3379]: wlan0: executing `/usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason PREINIT
dhcpcd[3379]: wlan0: executing `/usr/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-run-hooks', reason NOCARRIER
dhcpcd[3379]: wlan0: waiting for carrier
dhcpcd[3379]: timed out
FAILED
cp: cannot stat `/etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf': No such file or directory
/sbin/VLwifi: line 225: /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf.backup: No such file or directory
/sbin/VLwifi: line 227: /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf: No such file or directory
/sbin/VLwifi: line 228: /etc/ifplugd/ifplugd.conf: No such file or directory
« Last Edit: November 06, 2011, 04:46:46 pm by InTheWoods » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2011, 04:45:43 pm »

So at least wlan0 gets activated. Next thing I'd try would be:
Code:
ifconfig wlan0 up
iwlist wlan0 scanning
That should tell you if the network card is transmitting/receiving.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: