VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 01:35:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD has been released!!  (Read 46597 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 27, 2011, 11:09:01 pm »

The final release of VectorLinux 7.0 (code name 'GG') is now available. This release is the result of nearly two years of blood sweet and tears since the very successful release of VectorLinux 6.0. With the enthusiasm of a small group of packagers, our repository now hosts over a thousand up to date packages. VectorLinux is the fastest Linux desktop in it's class bar none. We have exceeded our original goals of VectorLinux 7 and produced a beautiful, full featured stable desktop that is fun, fast and efficient.

The main desktop is based on Xfce-4.8 with a custom theme and artwork again unique to VectorLinux. FluxBox is installed as a secondary desktop option. Much work has been done on localization and we know users from all over the globe will find VectorLinux usable in their language of choice.

All the VectorLinux trademarks are included: DVD playback, Audio and Video Codecs, Multimedia and Java plugins are installed and working out of the box. The best of the Open Source world is included: Gimp, Inkscape, Geeqie and Shotwell for Graphics; the latest Firefox and Opera for Internet Browsing;  Pidgin and Xchat for instant messaging; Brasero for CD burning (K3B is available in the repo); Mplayer, UMplayer, Xine and Exaile for playing most available media formats. The office applications are Gnumeric and Abiword (Libreoffice and many others available in the repo).

Wireless networking has been extended with updated drivers and firmware, Wicd has been employed to manage wireless and non wireless networking. Ufw with the Gufw gui is included for firewall protection and there is added support for several webcam makes and models.

The Kernel is version 3.0.8 and there have been improvements in installation, usability and hardware Support. We believe this release will fulfill all the hardware requirements of even the most modern equipment.

A special "Thank You" to the testers and packagers that helped during the development phase to make this release a reality.

There is also a live version of the current release which allows for pretesting the viability of the release on an individual basis. We are currently testing a 64 bit version of VectorLinux 7 that has reached the beta stage check our forum for progress.

The download links are below:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso.md5.txt
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE.iso
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-release/VL7.0-STD-GOLD-LIVE.md5sum

Been a long road my friends but we are finally here.

Cheers,
Vec
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:23:14 pm by vector » Logged
hadidonk

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 07:39:51 am »

When the users use the distributions of turbulent unity or gnome shell that is still under development into a modern desktop,
The Right time release vector linux using Xfce 4.8 with a custom and artwork unique.
Thank's Vector.

Greeting!
kc1di
Packager
Vectorian

Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 08:39:04 am »

Congratulations to the whole team nice accomplishment.

Looks very good.
Dave

Dave
( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 09:07:18 am »

Indeed, great to hear its been released, I would imagine that the Light version will be along shortly and SoHo not to far off :-) great work.  Now a weekend of wiping my hard drive and reinstalling to get rid of the crud :-)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 10:06:13 am »

Congratulations!  A download is in progress  Grin

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
|nic|
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 10:38:04 am »

Great work ! Thanks for this awesome distribution !

registered user #393337

Desktop AMD E6 / 8 gb ram / 120 GB SSD / 500 gb HD / VL7

Samsung NP110 / VL7.1 Std
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 01:05:10 pm »

Just downloading...looking forward to another love affair..the mobo on my 5.9 unit just failed so I am on to the new...looks like all my favorite programs and a spiffy new look...cheers

Everything Is Relative
MikeCindi
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 01:08:49 pm »

Thank you Vector and dev team for the work to put 7.0 together.

The plans of the diligent lead to profit...Pro. 21:5
VL64 7.1b3                                     RLU 486143
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 09:34:46 pm »

Indeed a special thanks to the testers and packagers. They really worked extremely hard, often without coffee, tea, and wee breaks. It was also hard to keep up on the delivery of the box materials, hammers, nails, lines of code and such. We did do towel runs to pat their sweat down as they were building away.....  Grin

P.S.
      stretchedthin, hata_ph, and pierce.jason,
                   awful sorry about the paper wads landing in your cubicals while working. Don't worry I'll clean up later. Grin

Seriously though...
                                Thank you testers and packagers! A huge job very well done.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:44:19 pm by Masta » Logged
borgio3

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2011, 12:33:21 pm »

Thanks a lot for this great piece of distro.
Very well done :-)
nitehawk
Vectorite

Just me.

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2011, 03:10:43 pm »

"tap! tap! tappy tap! tap! tap! tappy tap tap!  <nitehawk is gleefully tap-dancing on the table tops> 
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2011, 03:44:35 pm »

"tap! tap! tappy tap! tap! tap! tappy tap tap!  <nitehawk is gleefully tap-dancing on the table tops> 

Can't take him anywhere.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Tigger
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »

Congrats folks.  This one looks great.  Tried out the live and installed it.  Who is maintaining the live stuff these days?
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 08:00:15 pm »

Another beautiful Vector Linux release, and beautifully timed.    With the slick 4.8 release (and the icky gnome 3) XFCE is poised to take its place as the preferred no-nonsense Linux DE, and this is as beautiful as XFCE gets.

Minor complaint: even after adding the unstable and testing repositories, I had to compile GNU Emacs myself.    Not hard if you know how to do it  (No additional dependancies), but Emacs seems like a major omission.  Did I do something wrong?  Are the repos still under construction?  
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 08:03:04 pm by blackbelt_jones » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 09:22:01 pm »

Who is maintaining the live stuff these days?
The magnificent Nightflier is doing live now and a bang up job I might add.................... Grin

Vec
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: