VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 09:59:00 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD has been released!!  (Read 43837 times)
Tigger
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 09:24:50 pm »

Who is maintaining the live stuff these days?
The magnificent Nightflier is doing live now and a bang up job I might add.................... Grin

Vec

Thanks.  I figured that so I PM'd him.  I think I can help wrinkle out a couple of small things in the live as I have a bit of time right now.

And yes it is a very nice release.  I love the artwork and what you folks have done with it.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:49:51 pm »

Minor complaint: even after adding the unstable and testing repositories, I had to compile GNU Emacs myself.    Not hard if you know how to do it  (No additional dependancies), but Emacs seems like a major omission.  Did I do something wrong?  Are the repos still under construction?  

I've got emacs packaged and will have it in the repositories, shortly.
hata_ph beat me too it.  Sent me a pm letting me know it was already done.  Has been uploaded and should be at the ready for anyone who needs it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:36:05 pm by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
blackbelt_jones

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 10:41:32 am »

Minor complaint: even after adding the unstable and testing repositories, I had to compile GNU Emacs myself.    Not hard if you know how to do it  (No additional dependancies), but Emacs seems like a major omission.  Did I do something wrong?  Are the repos still under construction?  

I've got emacs packaged and will have it in the repositories, shortly.
hata_ph beat me too it.  Sent me a pm letting me know it was already done.  Has been uploaded and should be at the ready for anyone who needs it.

So the repositories are still taking shape.  That's all I needed to know.  Cool

Some of this software is brand spanking new.  This is the first time I've seen this version of the simple video editor KINO.  I did some editing last night, and a really longstanding MAJOR bug has finally been fixed.  I'm too busy to describe it right now, but if you use KINO, you know
what I'm talking about.

Also, I think this is the first time I've ever used a 3.0 kernel.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 11:19:55 am »

@blackbelt_jones
Give Openshot and kdenlive a try as well.  While your at it why not try installing them through vl-qwik-picks under the Multimedia category of the menu.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
scififry

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 01:37:23 pm »

Working very fine, great artwork as well! Smiley Thank you!
flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 01:41:04 pm »

First a short note to all the members.....I have been absent from the forums for awhile due to personal issues. (work, health, family, etc.) so i patiently watched from the sidelines as your development progressed on VL 7.0. I felt my spotty contributions in the interim would only be a nuisance, so I decided to stay out of the mix.

Now I have VL 7.0 installed and it is breathtaking!! a masterful crafting of Linux that just shines !! Words cannot describe my initial impressions so I'll defer to an illustration :

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:44:34 pm by flip city » Logged

blackbelt_jones

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 05:15:38 pm »

This is the first time I've managed to get EVERYTHING I NEED in a Slackware-based distro.    Haven't had a chance to try it all out yet, but I already know that on Vector Linux, things tend to work.

After nine years of using Linux, I think I may have finally been cured me of my Debian addiction.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 12:03:24 am »

At 10 pm tonight I decided to switch from VL 7 rc 2.1 to VL 7.0.  Its now midnight and I am basically done.  I first installed 7.0 (went perfectly), then etm (Dan Graham's calendaring and time keeping program), then thunderbird, then libreoffice (which I deleted as I had done in 2.1 due to the "general error" on opening a file), then openoffice from slackbuilds.org, then dosbox (to run foxpro 2.6), then twinkle, then tetex and lyx, then medit and finally, after confirming that "open terminal here" still doesn't work in Thunar, XFE.  All went perfectly.  Even pdfsam still works without a reinstall. I am most impressed.  I will try printing tomorrow at the office.  That has been problematic.   Two hours is darn good.  All my files are right where they were. 

Good work!

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 12:42:11 am »

sledgehammer, i got lyx-2.0.2 and libreoffice-3.4.4 build...pls try it as it is in testing repo Smiley
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 10:23:04 am »

DL-ing it now.

's been a long time, since I installed a distro, I didn't even voiced up about during devel. Wink (VL3.2SOHO being the last of that kind.)
Hope there's not too much bloat soaked in....

<Lame sig>
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 08:28:26 pm »

sledgehammer, i got lyx-2.0.2 and libreoffice-3.4.4 build...pls try it as it is in testing repo

hata_ph  I tried them both and so far both are working fine.  Libreoffice no longer gives the general error on opening an odt document.  Don't see much advantage though in libreoffice vs openoffice.  Seem the same to me.  I use them mainly to format and print documents composed on google.docs.  Lyx, beautiful lyx, doesn't work for this purpose and since it doesn't lend itself to easy collaboration, is, sadly, being used by our office less and less.  Mostly to edit docs done in lyx before google docs came along.  If I ever write a book, though, I will do it in lyx.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2011, 03:26:00 am »

They pretty much are the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenOffice.org#LibreOffice

I'm thinking that this is the direction we should be going as well and send a message to Oracle to, well, you get the idea.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
jpuhalski

« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2011, 04:03:20 am »

I downloaded and installed it and everything went very well.  Added the few additional applications I usually use and everything working just fine.  Thanks!
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2011, 04:19:14 am »

Thanks to Vec and everybody involved in putting together this release.  I know you have all worked very hard, just as you always do (maybe moreso this time, I don't know).  I'm really looking forward to installing this evening.

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
mike99

« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2011, 10:29:42 pm »

Installs/works fine on my old Sempron 2600, ATI9250, and 1gb Mem. helps. Very nice, thank you!
Will there be a Deluxe 2CD set and a Lite version for older H.W. with lower memory?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: