VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 09:44:10 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD has been released!!  (Read 40203 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2011, 10:38:22 pm »

mike
 next up will either be light or soho any bugs will be resolved then deluxe with the kitchen sink...........Smiley

Cheers,
Vec

demigaucher

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2011, 01:18:34 am »

Hi everybody

Welcome VL7 at last ! And many thanks to all the staff: clearly
there has been an enormous amount of work involved in this
(painful ?) delivery.

Unfortunately, as in all human matters, nothing is perfect. I
would like to (constructively) report several malfunctions
that I discovered. Most of them appear when trying to use
programs from KDE: K3b, Kwrite, etc... which I installed by
the "official" way, i.e. using the VL repositories and gslapt.

Where can I report ? Here ?

Demigaucher
happily running VL6, and hoping to do the same with VL7 soon

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2011, 01:35:26 am »

Hi everybody

Welcome VL7 at last ! And many thanks to all the staff: clearly
there has been an enormous amount of work involved in this
(painful ?) delivery.

Unfortunately, as in all human matters, nothing is perfect. I
would like to (constructively) report several malfunctions
that I discovered. Most of them appear when trying to use
programs from KDE: K3b, Kwrite, etc... which I installed by
the "official" way, i.e. using the VL repositories and gslapt.

Where can I report ? Here ?

Demigaucher
happily running VL6, and hoping to do the same with VL7 soon

demigaucher,

you can post your appliation problem in the Installation & Updates section Smiley
demigaucher

« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2011, 03:34:55 am »

Thanks hata-ph & bye.
Demigaucher
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2011, 01:19:43 pm »

I've installed VL7 Gold on my Sempron desktop. Everything went flawlessly. No problems at all so far. Many thanks to the devs and everyone else who has worked on this.

I'm going to get rid of one desktop computer because we're planning to move to smaller quarters in two or three months and we need to downsize. I've decided to consolidate things on the Sempron even though the processor is considerably slower than the Athlon 64 X2--though plenty fast for the stuff I do. The Sempron as a whole is newer and more up to date and the CPU is upgradeable if we want more speed. So I probably won't install on the Athlon 64, as I'm phasing it out. I got a new laptop last week and hope to get VL7 installed and working there. Unfortunately, I need to do a lot of backing up (Windows 7) because I have to delete a couple of the four primary partitions that came set up on it and then shrink a few hundred gigs from Win 7 so I can set up an extended partition for Linux.

I no longer have any crap computers. All processors are now 64 bit and if I can find the time and energy, I'm eager to test our upcoming 64-bit version.

VL7 Gold is everything I hoped it would be, a true thing of beauty.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
webmouse

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2011, 12:04:32 am »

Hi all, long time since a took a look at Vector. Downloading the iso right now.

NetBook: VL7 Light
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2011, 04:10:40 pm »

Today I installed VL7 Gold on my new HP Pavilion laptop. No problems at all,. VL got the screen resolution right automatically, sound works, wireless networking was effortless. Amazing!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2011, 04:15:22 pm »

Today I installed VL7 Gold on my new HP Pavilion laptop. No problems at all,. VL got the screen resolution right automatically, sound works, wireless networking was effortless. Amazing!
--GrannyGeek

GrannyGeek...hope you like the VL7 Gold aka codename "GG" Tongue
lopanrs

« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2011, 10:01:55 pm »

Thanks to all dev team for the final version of VL7. Running VL since 2.0.
When SoHo version will be ready ?

VL SoHo 7.0 @ 3.7.5-pf
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2011, 12:30:51 am »

Working on it now..............week to 10 days best guess

Cheers,
Vec
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2011, 11:30:06 pm »

Working on it now..............week to 10 days best guess

Cheers,
Vec
Maybe a little longer
Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #41 on: December 16, 2011, 10:25:58 am »

Vector Linux XFCE looks good! And fluxbox runs like a charm on it! Bravo on this release!

Forever in a box
keyfitter

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 06:18:39 pm »

Well, I downloaded and installed 7.0 Gold on both machines  Very nice and very fast too. Currently, I am still using KDE 6.0 as my main O.S. and have been since its release. It's really hard to give up what I  am used to.  KDE 3.XX.

I have been using Vector Linux since 2004 and doubt if I will ever switch to another distro, even though I have tried several through the years. Keep up the good work!.

brokndodge

Linux is sooo HOT

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2012, 10:39:56 pm »

Absolutely beautiful work.  I am amazed at the level of eye candy packed into such a fast and light distro.  VL7.0
is the very proof of what Linux can be.

Thank you for all the hard work - and Google Chrome in the repo!!! Smiley

VL 7.0 Standard

brokndodge
- OSS is not a religion, it's the solution to buggy irresponsible coding -
Linux User# 494720
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2012, 01:47:23 pm »

Okies;
I have 7.0 Std Gold up and running.

A few issue, that jumped in my eye:

-Old, recurring issue(of minor importance, I might say...) : User- accounts, created during install just aren't. You have to create them post-install. Better fix that issue or remove the instance from the installer.

-The dock(default at the bottom of the screen...) is like that obnoxious "photobomber" you'll find at every party; Annoying and blaringly obtrusive. Why are there TWO docks anyway?...
I'll see if I can get rid of that one.

-Again, my usual gripe: WHY the multitude of apps, covering the same thing? I'm all for choice, mind me. But in the repositry.
And with the current applet that lets you pick by category what app you want to install even more so.
I mean; GQView(Geequie or something like that now, I believe..) is about the best image-viewer available, why add that lame-ass Shotwell to the stack? If people want that they can Download it easily.
Bottom-line: it's easier to ADD software than to cut out the unwanted, surplus lard without messing up the entire system.

-To each his own, but I guess it's a marketing-thingy to make an OS look like made by Tonka or any such toy-factory.... I prefer a much more spartan, down-to-earth look. (And puh-lease: no "300"-jokes...) All this "eye-candy" is bad for my teeth...

A BIG word of praise though for the rightout MARVELOUS addition of VL-Quick-Picks!
THAT is a huge step forward!(I know, it's "just" a frontend to gslapt, but in this case the rule that the smallest chances can make the biggest improvement is eminent.)

Got some trimming to do, but 7.0 Std is to stay on my system. (Also because 6.0 light won't recognise the soundchip on my new rig...)

<Lame sig>
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: