VectorLinux
November 24, 2014, 02:28:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD bug reports.  (Read 21435 times)
niiler

« Reply #75 on: January 27, 2012, 12:54:10 pm »

Hi stretchedthin,

Thanks, but I've got a working driver...actually the most recent, as fetched with gslapt. I'm sure that the problem is some sort of configuration issue.  As you've noted, Broadcom chips are proprietary, and as such, perhaps a bit unpredictable.  I'm looking for a way to start it correctly at boot time without running the indicated commands manually.  I've tried in rc.local, but this doesn't give me a working driver.   Curiouser and curiouser...
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2012, 08:31:02 am »

Not sure if this is a bug or something I am doing wrong after switching from VL7 RC1.x to Gold, but my /etc backup files give me no clue as to what I might be missing here. For a long time, I have used this line in /etc/rc.d/rc.local:

Code:
echo 6 > /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness

This sets the LCD backlight brightness on the notebook to a manageable default, since it always boots up at 100%. KDE remembers its own brightness setting and resets it on load, but the xfce4-power-manager plugin doesn't, so this command is essential there.

After installing VL7 Gold, this command no longer works, showing an error message during boot saying that the file does not exist. After XFCE loads however, the file is there and the command works correctly from a terminal.

Is anybody else getting this issue? Any ideas as to cause / solution?

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2012, 08:37:20 am »

Possible solution on xfce would be to create a script and load it in the session startup (where it loads wicd, and other things)
As far as cause, I have no clue.

VectorHead

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 06:01:39 pm »

I have experienced repeatable installation problems with the GUI installer in VL 7.0 Gold.  I can only give generalities as it has been a couple of weeks since the install but I think It should get the designers where they need to be.

1.) The boot menu installer doesn't list some of my os's even though other linuxes will add them to the menu automatically.  It doesn't matter weather or not grub or lilo option is selected the list stays the same 4 partitions.  I installed VL7 three times now with the same results.

/dev/sda1 win2k  FOUND
/dev/sdb1 ubuntu kde FOUND
/dev/sdb7 vector 7.0 Gold FOUND
/dev/sdb8 vector 6 KDE FOUND

/dev/sdb9 Slackware 13.37 64bit NOT Found

2.)  Specifying certain mount points during GUI installation causes the installer to lock up unexpectedly.  I have tried twice to specify mount points such as /dev/sdb10 as /srv/www/htdocs  OR /dev/sdb7  as /home/ref.  Trying to continue after specifying these mount points causes a lockup of the installation program.  It drops back to the windowing program that spawned the GUI installer.

My hardware is older,  It is a Pentium D processor on a board from the same era with two IDE HDD's and an IDE CDROM drive.  The board is also SATA capable.  If you think this is a hardware issue I will take apart my case and get the details.

-- Vector Linux, because more of your CPU cycles should belong to you!
Penguinista
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2012, 10:01:09 am »

Quoting system-config-printer blog:

"If you have found a bug in system-config-printer, please report it. If system-config-printer came with your operating system, report the bug to the operating system vendor . . ."

Since I installed VL 7.0 Standard Gold, I am unable to print my LibreOffice documents that are setup in landscape format (i.e., envelopes). I tried different settings in the CUPS configuration tool (system-config-printer 1.3.2) and they still get printed in portrait format. I use a HP Deskjet F4180 printer.

I upgraded from VL 7.0 RC 2.1 and did not have this problem with that version.

My troubleshoot log is attached.

[I have not had any response to my forum post of Dec 28, 2011]
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: May 03, 2012, 12:01:54 am »

After I got now a "new" 2nd hand MoBo I was finlly able to make an installation
using a flash drive which I had made a bootable install as outlined in my recent
post under HOW TO.

The GUI installation went smooth. The given root password was not taken
and remained a blank. I did not enter a user knowing from past installations
with GUI that that can cause a problem.

I still do not like the look of the dull black theme (icons) on programs or the grew
logout window.
Chris530

« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2012, 09:58:08 pm »

I don't know if this has been reported but on a netbook (very small screen) install when the installer gets to adding the root password and user dialogs the window is so big for such small screens that there is no way to see or input the info.  Not a big issue I either jump into the terminal and add a user or reboot as root and finish up there.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #82 on: January 15, 2013, 07:53:44 am »

When I installed VL7.0 GOLD from a cd, I checked No Lilo as I already had it set from another installation.  On reboot, I got about 1/3 of the screen filled with ' 7F' (I think - this was a week or two ago). 

Was able to boot from the cd, copy lilo.conf and run lilo to fix.

I don't believe it should touch the MBR if I don't use the Grub or Lilo setups - should it?

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #83 on: January 15, 2013, 08:32:58 pm »

It doesn't touch the MBR in that case. When you make changes, you need to also change the lilo accordingly.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #84 on: January 16, 2013, 08:06:54 am »

I know it shouldn't.  Why did it?

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #85 on: January 16, 2013, 09:14:32 am »

I have experienced repeatable installation problems with the GUI installer in VL 7.0 Gold.  I can only give generalities as it has been a couple of weeks since the install but I think It should get the designers where they need to be.

1.) The boot menu installer doesn't list some of my os's even though other linuxes will add them to the menu automatically.  It doesn't matter weather or not grub or lilo option is selected the list stays the same 4 partitions.  I installed VL7 three times now with the same results.

/dev/sda1 win2k  FOUND
/dev/sdb1 ubuntu kde FOUND
/dev/sdb7 vector 7.0 Gold FOUND
/dev/sdb8 vector 6 KDE FOUND

/dev/sdb9 Slackware 13.37 64bit NOT Found

I think this is a limitation of GRUB and 32-bit vs 64-bit systems.  GRUB won't find 64-bit installations during a 32-bit install. However, what you can do is go ahead and install, then boot into the 64-bit OS and rerun GRUB to detect the new install of the 32-bit OS.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: January 16, 2013, 08:37:40 pm »

I know it shouldn't.  Why did it?
As far as I can see, It doesn't.
 What seems to have happened here is that you changed the OS (and/or the partition scheme), by installing a new version of VL, which probably has a newer kernel and initrd in it. The lilo was configured for the older version OS that was preveously installed there (or lack thereof). The lilo needed to be configured for the new installation. Lilo freaked out because it was configured for something different.
 You could have used the installation CD to boot into the  installed VL by telling it where the /root partiton was (an example is shown at the first boot prompt of the CD), edit the lilo.conf and run lilo, all would have been ok. You did it a different way, which was also ok and worked for you.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: January 18, 2013, 08:02:16 am »

Thanks, Masta, for the explanation.

Edit 1/23/2013:
After multiple installations of VL7.0, I discovered that the above was "pilot error" - I clicked the left button (Lilo) instead of the right one (none)  Mother always told me that I didn't see what I was looking at!

Profound apologies.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 10:52:49 am by StrayBit » Logged

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]
  Print  

Jump to: