VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 04:43:22 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD bug reports.  (Read 20919 times)
caieng

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:10:45 am »

Ok...to make thing short are you saying the problem start at bootloader installation part?
yes
You choose lilo and unmark XP...but the GUI installer will not allow you do unmark XP and the process go on continusly until it hang your entire installation process?
Not exactly right.

Let me try again.
The installer changes BACK from VL to XP ("back" because I had just clicked the choice to enable VL as the default) the default image to boot, upon disabling XP from the menu in the installer routine just below the default selection on the upper right half of the screen.

If one notices this automatic change, a change which is both illogical, and counterproductive, then, one can AGAIN change back to Vector and then, the software works just fine.  The problem only arises, when brain dead folks like me, FAIL to observe that the installer routine has changed the default to a non-existent image.

This particular error depends upon the user failing to change the default, a second time.

The x-windows problem is quite different.  I assigned 1280 x 1024 during the installation, but, the information was not retained, at boot up.  I then again instructed the OS to accept my desired resolution, but Vector Linux just laughed.  It is doing what it wants, not what I want.....

CAI ENG
caieng

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:20:14 am »

here's lspci and lsmod
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 03:02:06 pm »

Just ran into a rather disturbing issue. Went to boot to the Winderz drive on the notebook and got the dreaded GRUB> prompt. This should not have happened as I specified that Grub should be written to sdb and not sda. Going to reinstall to make sure.

Disregard. I know what happened. When I clicked LILO and back to GRUB, the install location changed back to sda and I didn't catch it. Caught it this time.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 04:20:20 pm by retired1af » Logged

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 05:17:22 pm »

caieng here is my recent post:

« Reply #107 on: November 22, 2011,

Jumped the line to RC4.4, Sorry, but may be what I report can be corrected before the final release:
Installed on desktop PC with GUI installer up to entering root and user name/password.
Root PW was apparently not registered since when loging-in the PW was a blank.
User name and user PW was not accepted during installation which was then aborted on its own at that point. Did the lilo bid separately in another box.

When booting then into RC4.4 there was an error message that /usr/lib/liblber.* could not be found.

User name and user PW could be entered with vasm correctly as well as root PW.

Apparently this was not acted on.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:25:41 pm by Pita » Logged
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 11:53:11 pm »

Ok...to make thing short are you saying the problem start at bootloader installation part?
yes
You choose lilo and unmark XP...but the GUI installer will not allow you do unmark XP and the process go on continusly until it hang your entire installation process?
Not exactly right.

Let me try again.
The installer changes BACK from VL to XP ("back" because I had just clicked the choice to enable VL as the default) the default image to boot, upon disabling XP from the menu in the installer routine just below the default selection on the upper right half of the screen.

If one notices this automatic change, a change which is both illogical, and counterproductive, then, one can AGAIN change back to Vector and then, the software works just fine.  The problem only arises, when brain dead folks like me, FAIL to observe that the installer routine has changed the default to a non-existent image.

This particular error depends upon the user failing to change the default, a second time.

The x-windows problem is quite different.  I assigned 1280 x 1024 during the installation, but, the information was not retained, at boot up.  I then again instructed the OS to accept my desired resolution, but Vector Linux just laughed.  It is doing what it wants, not what I want.....

CAI ENG

If you edit the boot menu names, the "default selection" will change as you edit the menu naming. This is normal operation, has alway been this way and nobody, until now, has found it to a be a problem. Though understanding as I try to look at it from a "new user installing" point of view... perhaps this could be avoided if the "default boot" section was moved below the menu of OS selection.

However the reason this "default selection" changes when you edit the menu naming (or choose on or off).. is because it is tracking the menu edit in real time, and this prevents the possibility of having a default selection which doesn't really exist.

The best I tell you here is to pay attention when you are working in this section of the installer.

Cheers....
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 11:54:20 pm »

caieng,

can try to install VL7 GOLD using the grub bootloader instead of lilo?
caieng

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 02:14:47 am »

Quote from: hata_ph
can try to install VL7 GOLD using the grub bootloader instead of lilo?

Yes, I can try, if Grub will permit, as LILO easily accomplishes, access to the Linux ext4 partition, instead of MBR.

Can you confirm that ability, before I start over, again?

Quote from: Masta
The best I tell you here is to pay attention when you are working in this section of the installer.
Hi Masta, thanks for this bit of wisdom--yes, I agree, it was MY FAULT, that the system hung, the first time through.

On the other hand, my oversight, failing to observe the installer's modification of my selection, should not take place, in a well designed environment.  Bugs need to be eliminated, rather than observed, carefully.

The installer is defective.  A clever person would not know this, it takes a careless slob, like me, to expose the fault, but the fault is there, and requires fixing.  Software ought not function as if carrying a fragile piece of glass, incapable of resisting fracture at the sound of a hummingbird's wings, fluttering 30 meters away.

The same week that VL 7 was released, another good distro, occupying the same niche as VL on the list of most popular Linux distributions at distrowatch dot com (#31 and 32) issued an updated version.

I downloaded both the same day.  I installed both.  I have booted both.  I have turned off both, on the same computer, on two different hard drives.

VL, #31, required 30 minutes to install from cdrom.  #32 installed in 13 minutes from cdrom, on the same computer.

VL is STILL not up and running, days later.
#32 has already been installed, tested, and benchmarked.

I urge developers of VL to try #32 themselves, to confirm this observation....
I do not write this, to tout the virtues of #32, but to highlight the perceived weakness in VL.  I could easily fill the page with criticisms of #32, but my point here is not how good #32 is, but how much further VL's installer has to change, to conform to even a mediocre distribution like #32.

A better installation experience, in my opinion, is coming from Ubuntu, which has, in my opinion, the best installer in the business.  Among other things, that installer sets up automatic login for the user, during the installation.  Another attractive feature:  the installer solicits user input WHILE DOWNLOADING, thus saving time.

None of the existing Linux distros is really satisfactory, from my point of view.  I cite Ubuntu, because it's installer, strikes me, as being the closest to a reasonable 21st century bit of software.  I cite #32, because it provides, intelligently, VLC by default.  I insert the CDROM, and 25 minutes later, I am listening to streaming audio on MP3, AAC+, or OGG.  No other Linux distro offers that capability:  "out of the box".

Now that I have been able to access VL 7, I must comment that the user interface is very cluttered, with icons all over the desktop, appearing out of nowhere, really disagreeable.  I much prefer the uncluttered desktop of #32.  What's with the change in position from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen for the menu???  That's not helpful.  Again, I prefer the "open box" approach, of simple one click anywhere on desktop, to see the whole menu.  It is faster, from the user perspective.

CAI ENG

Hamlet

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 07:56:23 am »

Dual boot with Debian 6.0.3 doesn't work. The installer writes "initrd16 /boot/initrd" in the OS section for Debian in grub.cfg. In my case this file is called ( on my default Debian install )  /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem so booting fails as initrd is not loaded.  It can be fixed easily by mounting the Debian root partition and creating a soft link from /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-686-bigmem to /boot/initrd.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 08:06:38 am by Hamlet » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 05:06:02 pm »

cai eng, not sure about the access ext4 linux partition but i believe it will work...
btw, thanks for your time to install VL7 and will take note of your finding...
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 08:30:14 pm »

The installer is defective.  A clever person would not know this, it takes a careless slob, like me, to expose the fault, but the fault is there, and requires fixing.  Software ought not function as if carrying a fragile piece of glass, incapable of resisting fracture at the sound of a hummingbird's wings, fluttering 30 meters away.

The same week that VL 7 was released, another good distro, occupying the same niche as VL on the list of most popular Linux distributions at distrowatch dot com (#31 and 32) issued an updated version.

I downloaded both the same day.  I installed both.  I have booted both.  I have turned off both, on the same computer, on two different hard drives.

VL, #31, required 30 minutes to install from cdrom.  #32 installed in 13 minutes from cdrom, on the same computer.

VL is STILL not up and running, days later.
#32 has already been installed, tested, and benchmarked.

I urge developers of VL to try #32 themselves, to confirm this observation....
I do not write this, to tout the virtues of #32, but to highlight the perceived weakness in VL.  I could easily fill the page with criticisms of #32, but my point here is not how good #32 is, but how much further VL's installer has to change, to conform to even a mediocre distribution like #32.

A better installation experience, in my opinion, is coming from Ubuntu, which has, in my opinion, the best installer in the business.  Among other things, that installer sets up automatic login for the user, during the installation.  Another attractive feature:  the installer solicits user input WHILE DOWNLOADING, thus saving time.

None of the existing Linux distros is really satisfactory, from my point of view.  I cite Ubuntu, because it's installer, strikes me, as being the closest to a reasonable 21st century bit of software.  I cite #32, because it provides, intelligently, VLC by default.  I insert the CDROM, and 25 minutes later, I am listening to streaming audio on MP3, AAC+, or OGG.  No other Linux distro offers that capability:  "out of the box".

Now that I have been able to access VL 7, I must comment that the user interface is very cluttered, with icons all over the desktop, appearing out of nowhere, really disagreeable.  I much prefer the uncluttered desktop of #32.  What's with the change in position from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen for the menu???  That's not helpful.  Again, I prefer the "open box" approach, of simple one click anywhere on desktop, to see the whole menu.  It is faster, from the user perspective.

CAI ENG

Maybe VL isn't for you. For a simple installation, they do sell computers at Best Buy, Walmart, and others with Windows already istalled.  Wink
 Thanks for the feedback.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 10:40:22 pm »

Made a new installation using vinstall-iso-ng. It run so smooth and fast.
IMHO it is the best installer in VL. Never understood the need for a GUI
installer.

And the problem with the GUI installer in VL7 for not being able to enter
user name and password I think I have already reported it last year and
possibly more than once. That the root password now does not
register and being a blank is a new twist.

I will not try to install in a HP-2133 netbook since I am sure the problem
there as well has not been fixed, --the GUI installer being unreadable with
windows and fonts overlapping.

I cannot find any longer 'sendmail' and 'mailx' in the repos or where are
they hidden.

'at' is not found in /etc/rc.d/init.d and has to be fetched from samples.
Why that? atd is installed, so why not make use of it.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:50:06 pm by Pita » Logged
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2011, 03:00:19 am »

I had absolutely no issue in creating the root password or users with the GUI install.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2011, 03:37:51 am »

Pita, will build mailx and sendmail for VL7...pls help to test it soon Smiley
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »

Yes, I can try, if Grub will permit, as LILO easily accomplishes, access to the Linux ext4 partition, instead of MBR.

Grub2 is not recommended to be put in the partition's boot sector. It should only go into the MBR. There are ways you can "force" it into the partition's boot sector, but this is unsupported and not recommended.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »

I had absolutely no issue in creating the root password or users with the GUI install.

Same here. I created a root account, 2 new user accounts, and imported a user account from an existing directory. All took password just fine.

Pita, is there any chance that your password is failing to meet complexity requirements or uses any non-latin characters?

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: