VectorLinux
September 23, 2014, 04:00:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD bug reports.  (Read 19872 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2011, 11:46:26 pm »

This is not a bug in VL 7, but for what its worth, I could not get the 4pane file manager in the repositories to work.  However the slackware version on the 4pane site works fine in 7.0.  http://www.4pane.co.uk/Download.htm

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2011, 01:07:01 pm »

I can't mount a flash drive as user. I have to be root to do it. This is very inconvenient. This is happening on both my Sempron desktop and HP laptop.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2011, 01:09:02 pm »

On both Sempron desktop and HP laptop, when I log out the only option is Log Out and restart and shutdown are grayed out. I don't like that!
--GrannyGeek

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2011, 03:19:03 pm »

On both Sempron desktop and HP laptop, when I log out the only option is Log Out and restart and shutdown are grayed out. I don't like that!
--GrannyGeek

This isn't an installation from the LiveCD is it? It sounds like a DBus related problem(especially in conjunction with your usb mouting), and I recall DBus problems popping up on Live quite a bit.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: December 07, 2011, 03:59:35 pm »

Hmmm. Tried the USB thing and ran into the same issue as GG.

However, I do have the normal options for logging out and shutting down. And I installed via the ISO, not the Live CD.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2011, 04:11:26 pm »

Hmmm. Tried the USB thing and ran into the same issue as GG.

However, I do have the normal options for logging out and shutting down. And I installed via the ISO, not the Live CD.

Is your user in the "plugdev" group? This used to be required for usb mounting, but I'm not sure about these days.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2011, 04:27:45 pm »

Yup. First thing I checked.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2011, 06:03:11 pm »

Did some more checking on this one. Seems to be an issue with my notebook and which USB port I use. If I unplug the mouse transceiver and plug in the flash stick, the volume is mounted. If I unplug the USB power to the cooler and plug the stick in there, it fails to recognize the stick.

Going to have to fiddle with things to figure out why it's not recognizing that particular port. 

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: December 07, 2011, 08:15:40 pm »

This isn't an installation from the LiveCD is it? It sounds like a DBus related problem(especially in conjunction with your usb mouting), and I recall DBus problems popping up on Live quite a bit.

No, it's from the Gold ISO, not the Live CD.

If I recall correctly, I did have all the shutdown, log out, reboot options when I first installed, but no longer. I never got all of them on the laptop. I wonder if an update might have affected something.

I'll do more experimenting with the USB flash drives.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2011, 06:46:52 am »

No, it's from the Gold ISO, not the Live CD.

If I recall correctly, I did have all the shutdown, log out, reboot options when I first installed, but no longer. I never got all of them on the laptop. I wonder if an update might have affected something.

I'll do more experimenting with the USB flash drives.
--GrannyGeek

are you logging in from GDM or terminal?
what command do you use to start X if from terminal?
mihail

« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2011, 11:49:51 am »

www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=704

after doing a bootable usb like in the link above (only thing that made it boot), I got an error 21 out of bounds in the installer, after selecting language and keyboard.

anyway to make a usb boot?

anyway to install VL?

text mode gaved kernel panic, cant mount root to file system...
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2011, 12:14:11 pm »

I boot with Runlevel 2, so I do wind up at a console for logging in. I use startx to start X.
--GrannyGeek

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2011, 01:34:12 pm »

I boot with Runlevel 2, so I do wind up at a console for logging in. I use startx to start X.
--GrannyGeek
I was pretty sure of that. Can you boot to Runlevel 4 and login from GDM just to confirm that everything works that way?
I think consolekit is not working there, I thought we had this fixed at one point.

Thanks,
Uelsk8s
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2011, 07:10:22 pm »

--GrannyGeek
Granny think I found the fix. Open up thunar then in view select show hidden files.......then find your users .xinitrc file (notice the dot) you will see a line in there like this "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4"  without the quotes. Please change to "exec startxfce4" again with out the quotes. Log out try startx again things should be back to normal. Seems we did not know the xfce4 developers had fixed this issue in the startxfce4 script from an earlier version that we fixed with the ck-launch-session thing. Hope that works for you!

Cheers,
Vec
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2011, 07:23:22 pm »

Thanks, Vec! I tried the fix on my laptop and it seems to have worked. If I have enough energy tomorrow, I'll fix the desktop, too.
--GrannyGeek

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
  Print  

Jump to: