VectorLinux
October 01, 2014, 08:02:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 7.0 GOLD bug reports.  (Read 20105 times)
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2011, 08:26:24 pm »

This is not a bug in VL 7, but for what its worth, I could not get the 4pane file manager in the repositories to work.  However the slackware version on the 4pane site works fine in 7.0.  http://www.4pane.co.uk/Download.htm

4pane was built very early in vl7.0 development, alpha stage I think.  I will rebuild it.
edit 4pane has been rebuilt and is in the repositories, old one removed.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 05:21:11 am by stretchedthin » Logged

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2011, 08:30:09 pm »

www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=704

after doing a bootable usb like in the link above (only thing that made it boot), I got an error 21 out of bounds in the installer, after selecting language and keyboard.

anyway to make a usb boot?

anyway to install VL?

text mode gaved kernel panic, cant mount root to file system...

Open a terminal in the same directory you have the vl70-gold iso, and run the following...
md5sum ./VL7.0-STD-GOLD.iso
What do you get?
I just want to make sure that you are not working with a bad download.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #62 on: December 08, 2011, 11:55:03 pm »

Granny think I found the fix. Open up thunar then in view select show hidden files.......then find your users .xinitrc file (notice the dot) you will see a line in there like this "exec ck-launch-session startxfce4"  without the quotes. Please change to "exec startxfce4" again with out the quotes. Log out try startx again things should be back to normal. Seems we did not know the xfce4 developers had fixed this issue in the startxfce4 script from an earlier version that we fixed with the ck-launch-session thing. Hope that works for you!

Cheers,
Vec

It does not work on my desktop PC.  Still goes straight to login screen in init 4. Sad No Log Out Dialog

Checked as root and there the logout dialog is working. root/.xinitrc
reads /usr/bin/startxfce4. Changed to that in /home/user/.xinitrc and
 problem remains
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:17:06 am by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2011, 12:37:20 am »

Pita did you install from live or install iso ? if from live it has installation problems for some  try the install iso see if any better.

Cheers,
Vec
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2011, 01:54:38 am »

Pita did you install from live or install iso ? if from live it has installation problems for some  try the install iso see if any better.

Cheers,
Vec

Install was from iso. First from a burned CD then with vinstall-iso-ng. The second install on account of the GUI installer with adding a user
aborting the install.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2011, 06:54:53 pm »

Copied all directories and files from /root to /home/user.

Chown -R user:users /home/user

Login into user, et voila, clicking on the logout applet on the panel shows
full Logout Dialog. Cheesy

Added a new user. Login into it and clicking the logout applet on the panel
shows a Logout Dialog with only Logout enabled, Restart and Shutdown disabled. Sad

Changed in New-User .xinitrc to read only "exec startxfce4"

Login into New-User, et voila, clicking on the logout applet on the panel shows
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:01:51 pm by Pita » Logged
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #66 on: December 09, 2011, 07:56:51 pm »

Login into user, et voila, clicking on the logout applet on the panel shows

Pita glad you figured it out. hopefully all is good now..................Smiley

Cheers,
Vec
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #67 on: December 10, 2011, 04:11:20 pm »

On the machine in sig, the keyboard doesn't work in gui installer. No keyboard input is accepted, except that the shift key restores the screen after screenblanking activates. Installer keyboard worked fine in RC 3.4, iirc.

Clicked through using default choices and files installed, but of course I couldn't config.

It's the install CD, not the Live. The ISO file and the burned CD check fine against the md5sum given. Text installer seems to work (aborted it early, tho), but I need the gui version, as I need minimal+X and that's not an option on the text side.

Short of an actual fix, any idea how I can get the minimal install with the install CD I have?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 04:58:41 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #68 on: December 10, 2011, 08:15:42 pm »

On the machine in sig, the keyboard doesn't work in gui installer. No keyboard input is accepted, except that the shift key restores the screen after screenblanking activates. Installer keyboard worked fine in RC 3.4, iirc.

Clicked through using default choices and files installed, but of course I couldn't config.

It's the install CD, not the Live. The ISO file and the burned CD check fine against the md5sum given. Text installer seems to work (aborted it early, tho), but I need the gui version, as I need minimal+X and that's not an option on the text side.

Short of an actual fix, any idea how I can get the minimal install with the install CD I have?
you can use the RC3.4 CD to install the GOLD ISO
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #69 on: December 10, 2011, 08:49:36 pm »

It has too be burn glitch or something as the installer has not changed since rc3.4 and earlier unless some bizarre thing with 3.0.8 kernel in which case maybe try what uelsk8s suggested just make sure you have a copy of the gold iso at the root of another  partition that you are not installing too.

Cheers,
Vec
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #70 on: December 10, 2011, 10:48:52 pm »

Using RC 3.4 CD to install Gold worked. Thanks, Vec and Uels. The installation did boot and run, so the kernel works at least basically on the machine. Could go no further, as the only browser included with minimal, elinks, can't read its own homepage and can't read this forum.

I mainly wanted it to build on, so what I have will work for me. I'm moving on, but leaving the few hints I was able to pick up.

A bad burn with a good md5 sum is near impossible. And a disc-read problem wouldn't occur the same way each of the several times I tried it, yet post no errors and produce an image which sums correctly. It ain't the disc.

The problem has to do with the way X is started, prior to the installer coming up. The evidence is that the keyboard fails immediately in Gold's GUI installer, but works for its text installer. Also, on exiting from Gold's installer and right-clicking for JWM's menu, keyboard still doesn't work. And there's the old "scrambled screen on leaving X" problem that we used to see a lot. All of this works fine from RC 3.4's installer. The boot messages prior to starting X differ between the two, but only as regards loading X. If there were other differences, I missed them as they whizzed by.

My bet is on xz going out-of-bounds in RAM without telling anyone, maybe failing to decompress some keymaps or some such. But then xz is my bet for most problems lately.

I'm giving odds and several points on the spread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 10:54:19 pm by roarde » Logged

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2011, 12:50:17 am »

Bonjour!
If running VL7std gold on old laptop and keep losing control of mousepad or keyboard from time to time , do try fix it by add following two line in  "/etc/lilo.conf"
--------------------------------------
append="i8042.nomux=1"
append="i8042.reset=1"
-----------------------------------
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2011, 07:16:06 am »

Hi y'all! I was excited to try the latest and reportedly greatest vl release thus far, but the graphical installer doesn't show for me.
I get stuck when the graphical environment is being loaded (I think), I only get 'loading X-files' repeated over and over on my screen:

Code:
Loading X-files
Loading X-files
Loading X-files
Loading X-files

You get the point. This goes on for at least 10 minutes, so I'm guessing that's not alright. This problem happens on the machine in my signature. The cd is correct, I checked the md5-sum and it matches.

Next I suppose I'll try the oldschool installer.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
niiler

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2012, 10:29:47 am »

I've finally gotten round to installing this on my laptop, and I'm generally really pleased.  First, I am finally able to use hardware acceleration on Firefox!!!!  Instead of 2-5 fps on the hardware acceleration test, I get upwards of 50 fps.  As someone who develops a FF extension that does motion tracking, this is BIG for me!

Whats more, my new Wacom Pen and Touch works out of the box with no need to configure anything.  Just plug it in and it works!

What did not work out of the box was wireless.  I have a Broadcom 4313 card (yes, one of *those*) in my hp-pavilion.  Although the proper driver was installed, during boot time, there are a series of unfortunate events.  First the card is mis-identified as a bluetooth device and btusb is loaded as a module.  Also, bcma is loaded.  I find that to get the card to work, I have to, in order:
  rmmod bcma
  rmmod btusb
  rmmod wl
  modprobe wl
  ifconfig eth1 up

Being clever sometimes, I figured I could blacklist the drivers bcma and btusb.  No joy.  Doing this does not work as intended.  Although the drivers do get blacklisted, wl doesn't auto-load.  I also then tried loading wl from rc.local, but while this loads, nothing shows up in dmesg and the card is unusable.  It seems that I have to manually rmmod the offending drivers and then reload the wl module each time I boot.  Any thoughts on what could be amiss?

BTW, the wired connect is solid, and everything else, to this point, seems to work like a charm.
Thanks everyone!
Tim N.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2012, 10:43:56 pm »

I helped someone out on my youtube channel with a broadcom bcm43xx, the video that got him going was this one.
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1/?p=692

The broadcom-sta mentioned in the video is available in gslapt now, so no build necessary, unless they have a newer one available and you want to build that one.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: