VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 09:36:56 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Translate LanguagePack How to ?  (Read 2357 times)
tictacPoc

« on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:23 am »

Hello Vector community,

Congratulations on the excellent work on the new version 7.

I install on my little netbook LT30 gateway on a SSD of 60 GB. A real little rocket  VectorLinux 7.

My only problem, I can not find the language packs for past Vectorlinux in my language. For me it's in French but there are also other language. Can you describe the procedure in a topic.

For people want translate fast..  Just add a depot of slackware, reload and find xfce language pack. Clic and install

thank you
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:18:08 pm by tictacPoc » Logged
MarkGrieveson
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 09:56:51 pm »

My only problem, I can not find the language packs for past Vectorlinux in my language. For me it's in French but there are also other language. Can you describe the procedure in a topic.

For people want translate fast..  Just add a depot of slackware, reload and find xfce language pack. Clic and install

thank you

The depot of slackware sounds like a good suggestion for translation.  Also, Vector Linux does have different language packs installed.  To see which ones, run the following command:

Code:
locale -a

Specifically French locales can be seen by the following:

Code:
mark:$ locale -a | grep fr
fr_BE
fr_BE.utf8
fr_BE@euro
fr_CA
fr_CA.utf8
fr_CH
fr_CH.utf8
fr_FR
fr_FR.utf8
fr_FR@euro
fr_LU
fr_LU.utf8
fr_LU@euro
vector:/~

I think that fr_CA is Canadian French, whereas fr_FR is French from France (not sure about the "fr_FR@euro" -- maybe covers some of the other European nations that have French as one of their languages).
Anyway, to change the current setting from en_US to fr_CA, open the file /etc/profile.d/lang.sh, find the line where it says "en_US", comment this out ("#en_US"), and underneath type in fr_CA (or whichever French you want, IE, fr_FR).

For example, the file will have two lines like this:

Code:
# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
export LANG=en_US

So, just comment out the en_US line and substitute it with fr_CA:

Code:
# en_US is the Slackware default locale:
#export LANG=en_US
export LANG=fr_CA

Many of the programs, like Abiword, will then be in French.

PS, you may need to restart the machine to see the effect of the locale change.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 02:04:13 am by MarkGrieveson » Logged

I am using VL7.0 standard with XFCE
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: