VectorLinux
July 31, 2014, 05:16:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VL7 and Alacarte  (Read 1042 times)
Hawkeye52

« on: November 28, 2011, 02:52:16 pm »

My questions:

1> Will the gnome application Alacarte work with VL7's implementation of Xfce 4.8?
2> If Alacarte will work with VL7, what is the best way to install it, since it is not in the repositories?

Thanks for any insight...

Hawkeye52
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »

My questions:

1> Will the gnome application Alacarte work with VL7's implementation of Xfce 4.8?
2> If Alacarte will work with VL7, what is the best way to install it, since it is not in the repositories?

Thanks for any insight...

Hawkeye52

Insteresting question.
To install in gslapt activate the GSB repository and update.
Select alacarte and gnome-menu's (gnome-desktop will be selected automatically by gslapt as dep)
Install selected packages.

***Note the GSB repository is untested and your better off  removing it as a package source immediatly.
It will appear as "Main Menu" under Settings

and yes, I was able to make changes to the menu using it.  Actually it may be a solution to a problem I have with vl-qwik-picks not holding it's position at the bottom of each category menu. Thanks.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
Hawkeye52

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:21:51 pm »

Thanks for the quick response, stretchedthin. I currently do not have VL7 installed -- is the GSB repository available within gslapt but inactive? If not, what are the particular steps to activate it?

Glad that Alacarte looks helpful to you; my understanding is that it did work with Xfce 4.6 and earlier. Always good when a question can turn into a solution...

I am preparing to install VL7 on my 'tester' machine later today. I will update this Topic regarding my progress with VL7 and Alacarte. If all goes well, I will probably put in a request to add it to the main repository.

BTW, VL7 looks polished and professional on the live cd. It is VERY quick on cd, so and I really curious about how it acts once on a hard drive.

Hawkeye52
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:46:44 pm »

is the GSB repository available within gslapt but inactive?
Yes, that right.  Once in Gslapt just go to Edit-->Preferences-->Sources and you will see about 10 lines down the line with gsb at the end.

When you go for the install, it's up to you but I recomment the install cd vs installing via the live cd.
stretch'

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 06:44:15 pm »

maybe i will try to build alacarte for VL7...wait for me reply once it is ready... Smiley

EDIT: I have build gnome-menus and alacarte for VL7. Pls wait for it available in the testing repo... Alacarte-0.13.2 is available at the testing repo...pls test it and give feedback Smiley

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15374.0
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 09:50:21 pm by hata_ph » Logged
Hawkeye52

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 01:00:57 pm »

maybe i will try to build alacarte for VL7...wait for me reply once it is ready... Smiley

EDIT: I have build gnome-menus and alacarte for VL7. Pls wait for it available in the testing repo... Alacarte-0.13.2 is available at the testing repo...pls test it and give feedback Smiley

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=15374.0

Thanks for the quick inclusion of alacarte in testing. I made a comment on my (short) experience with it in VL7, under the link you provided above.

Hawkeye52
Hawkeye52

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 01:19:27 pm »

is the GSB repository available within gslapt but inactive?
Yes, that right.  Once in Gslapt just go to Edit-->Preferences-->Sources and you will see about 10 lines down the line with gsb at the end.

When you go for the install, it's up to you but I recomment the install cd vs installing via the live cd.
stretch'

Stretch,

Your install suggestion was 'spot-on'! I had already tried the install on the live cd, and screwed things up horribly Cry. Then I read your Forum post, downloaded the install cd, and things went perfectly.

For readers considering install of VL7, the process on the install cd is more graphically pleasing, more understandable, and gives you a choice of lilo or grub for boot loaders. So, from one with experience -- play with the live cd, but install from the install cd...

Hawkeye52
murali

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2011, 04:48:55 pm »

Hi,

I tried the install CD (or rather USB) initially but it didn't work, kept complaining about missing /boot/initrd.xz. Strangely there was a file called X.xz which i believe should've been initrd. I had used unetbootin first and then switched over to mounting the iso and copying over the files to USB drive. However it didn't allow me to run bootinst.sh to make USB bootable. Inspite of being root i could never make the script executable and/or run it. Tried all possible options, finally gave up and installed using Live CD.

Do you know of any specific reason to use install CD instead of live CD, does it give an option to pick and choose only those packages we need or does it have some other feature that live CD doesn't have. If so, i've to try with install CD again.

Thanks.
Hawkeye52

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2011, 06:00:37 pm »

Hi,

I tried the install CD (or rather USB) initially but it didn't work, kept complaining about missing /boot/initrd.xz. Strangely there was a file called X.xz which i believe should've been initrd. I had used unetbootin first and then switched over to mounting the iso and copying over the files to USB drive. However it didn't allow me to run bootinst.sh to make USB bootable. Inspite of being root i could never make the script executable and/or run it. Tried all possible options, finally gave up and installed using Live CD.

Do you know of any specific reason to use install CD instead of live CD, does it give an option to pick and choose only those packages we need or does it have some other feature that live CD doesn't have. If so, i've to try with install CD again.

Thanks.
stretchedthin would be a better one to answer this, but during my brief (one-time) exposure to the install cd, I have to say it was dramatically more user friendly than the install facility in the live cd. For one thing it was graphical, rather than text in format, secondly it did allow for some selection of applications to be installed (can't be all that specific here, since I am one of those 'bring it all on' people, and third it allowed to chose between lilo and grub for boot loaders. All in all, a better experience.

Hope these comments help...

Hawkeye52
murali

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:38:51 pm »

Ok, got it, it was helpful.

thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: