VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Problems with latest Vector 7 live CD  (Read 953 times)

rmcellig

Problems with latest Vector 7 live CD
« on: December 04, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

I just downloaded the iso for the Vector 7 live CD. After starting up my computer with it a message came up saying I am missing some GUI's and then went to a login prompt. What is going on here and how can I get to the Vector GUI so that I can see what this distro is all about. Doesn't look to user friendly. Hope I can get to play around with Vector 7 to see if I will be using it as my main distro. Thanks a lot!! :)

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Problems with latest Vector 7 live CD
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »

A thing that comes to mind, is check the clock on your computer and make sure it is correct. There could be other reasons of course.

Try this: At that login prompt, type "vl" and press enter. Press enter again when it asks for a password.
Then type "startx" and press enter.

Rest assured, it was not intended to dump you to a command line in order to be user un-friendly.  :)

rmcellig

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:24 pm »

I tried what you said. Clock is fine. i logged in as vl and now it says:

You are working as vl
Configuration: vasm

at the vl:$ prompt I type startx and get command not found.

pierce.jason

• Packager
  • Vectorite
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Sounds like probably either your download iso is corrupt, or the burn to cdrom is bad.

It is kind of hard to check for a bad burn, but I've found if you use wodim to burn the iso to cdrom you can check it.
`wodim dev=/dev/cdrw -data /path/to/downloaded.iso` after you burn it like this, you can check the md5sum as such: `dd if=/dev/cdrw | md5sum`
This should produce the same md5sum as that of the downloaded iso.
pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)