VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 04:51:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: PCManFM-Mod  (Read 2738 times)
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 08:22:48 pm »

I have been using pcmanfm-mod 1.2.4 for a while now on my system, which is not broken.  Nonetheless I will remove it once stretchedthin gets another version uploaded.

BTW, Thunar now works just fine on my system now (can't recall what I did to fix it) but I like pcmanfm-mod a bit more. pcmanfm didn't want to run at all.   I didn't much care for sunflower and spacefm seems too complicated, and too dangerous. 

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 09:38:42 pm »

Ok, I've rebuilt pcmanfm-mod 1.2.4 and spacefm 0.7.4 with --disable-hal

I've been using all three in vectorlinux-light for an hour now and nothing seems to be breaking.

Only trouble seems to be that pcmanfm-mod does not seem to pick up the usb stick I have plugged in, spacefm detects it just fine, and pcmanfm v 0.9.9 (default) seems to behave as it always has.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 04:16:08 am »

Thank you.  Smiley

I realize I may have caused some confusion, so will provide more detail: There would only be a problem with the "Light" install version, in default configuration which does not include hal. If pcmanfm-mod is compiled without this flag, it will not run unless hal is installed. In the "Full" install, you do get hal.

USB sticks: In Light they should be handled by udev and the devmon script. Devmon needs to be loaded by the window manager. When it works right, you should get a pop-up about removable drives.

@sledgehammer: if you have hal installed and like the way your current version is working, realize that upgrading will remove the device list in the left hand panel.

More 20/20 hind vision.. I should have used a different term for install option #2. Now we have "Light-Light"  Undecided  I also meant to include vl-qwikpicks in the heavier versions and it escaped me. Just goes to prove it's hard to proofread your own writing.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:20:46 am by nightflier » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2012, 04:27:34 am »

Interesting: If spacefm is running, looks like it intercepts the removable drives notifications, and the pop-up window does not appear. They show up in spacefm instead. I need to play more with this capable program.
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2012, 06:32:29 am »

Thanks nightflier.  I will just leave well enough alone.  I use 7.0 standard and stretchedthin's original pcmanfm-mod 1.2.4 is working fine.

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2012, 03:56:58 pm »

To see if there were adverse effects (as in previous Lights), I did Gslapt's update>mark all upgrades>execute in VL light 7. Pcmanfm-mod 1.2.4 did install and hal is running. Other than my not being a fan of hal, what's broken? I haven't noticed. Will be nice to see it without, tho.

I'm not using pcmanfm-mod to manage the desktop, if that matters.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2012, 05:01:05 pm »

@roarde: nothing will break, since stretchedthin provided a new package. Besides, if you installed LXDE, you got hal anyways, so even the previous version would not cause any problems.

The problem I describe is only for those who chose the "Light" option upon install. That choice does not include hal.

Along the way, VL7 Light developed multiple personalities. There is a big difference between the IceWM version and LXDE. I've come to like IceWM a lot. It is amazing how you can customize it. For example, I built a "kiosk" computer and set it to run with no panel, no titlebars and run nothing but a maximized browser. I like the fact that you can arrange the menu items the way you want them, and only include what you want. I'm also willing to trade some automation for performance. Sticking to the "manual" approach, removing hal made sense to me. I figured those who wanted more daemons would choose LXDE.
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 02:16:50 am »

I am a huge IceWM fan, its does what it needs without wizzbang effects and is very customisable. 
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: