VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Cardbus and USB adapters for VL6 Light  (Read 982 times)

fh67

Cardbus and USB adapters for VL6 Light
« on: November 17, 2011, 11:56:22 am »

Hi,

I've just installed VL6 Light on an old Dell Latitude CPx laptop - 500MHz PIII, 128MB RAM, 12GB HDD. The Cardbus WLAN is an ADDON GWK150v2 and the chipset is Realtek 8185 54m. Has anyone ever got this chipset to work with Linux? I tried several distros before settling on VL but couldn't get the card to connect on any of them.

I followed the tutorial here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=1282.0 and VL recognised the card as a Realtek 8180, but only on eth0. I tried the various steps outlined to add the alias wlan options. That didn't work so I then tried the ndiswrapper options and altered wpa_suplicant.conf - but still have had no joy.

My card detects wireless networks in my area, reports their signal strengths (very erratically) and Wicd Manager gets as far a 'validating authentication' but gets no further. The wpa-psk entry is correct.

So, can I get this chipset to work or should I buy another card or a USB adapter that works properly? I live in the UK, so if anyone can recommend an inexpensive one that does work without any hassle, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

FH67

abdul.jones

Re: Cardbus and USB adapters for VL6 Light
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 01:16:40 pm »

just to let you know, I too have a realtek chipped card (belkin) and I did what you did- tried linux drivers and then ndiswrapper and got crap signal and flakey performance, until I finally lost the signal altogether. Then I was reading something (sorry can't remember what) which mentioned having to put the linux drivers on the blacklist so the system knows which ones to use. Being a newbie, this was a bit scary, but I had a go (what was the worse that could happen?!) and at the moment, my internet connection is fine.