VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 06:22:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SSH Key question  (Read 876 times)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« on: December 08, 2011, 05:25:57 am »

Something I've often wondered about, but never tested. Are SSH keys specific to the OS they're created on? Or can you copy them to another partition and use them with a different OS?

In other words, I created a key pair using VL7. Can I copy those keys to my Winderz and VL6 SOHO partitions and use them there as well?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 06:32:19 am »

The keys are OS agnostic.

Bigpaws
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:40:58 am »

Awesome. So technically, I should be able to copy the keys to my various partitions and they'll work?

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44:49 am »

Awesome. So technically, I should be able to copy the keys to my various partitions and they'll work?
I use my same keys on all of my OS's and on many different computers at different locations. because I move them I consider them less secure so I have added a passphrase to them.

HTH,
Uelsk8s
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: