VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 05:46:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems with latest Vector 7 live CD  (Read 723 times)
rmcellig

« on: December 04, 2011, 04:45:30 pm »

I just downloaded the iso for the Vector 7 live CD. After starting up my computer with it a message came up saying I am missing some GUI's and then went to a login prompt. What is going on here and how can I get to the Vector GUI so that I can see what this distro is all about. Doesn't look to user friendly. Hope I can get to play around with Vector 7 to see if I will be using it as my main distro. Thanks a lot!! Smiley
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 05:07:59 pm »

A thing that comes to mind, is check the clock on your computer and make sure it is correct. There could be other reasons of course.

Try this: At that login prompt, type "vl" and press enter. Press enter again when it asks for a password.
Then type "startx" and press enter.

Rest assured, it was not intended to dump you to a command line in order to be user un-friendly.  Smiley
rmcellig

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 05:27:24 pm »

I tried what you said. Clock is fine. i logged in as vl and now it says:

You are working as vl
Configuration: vasm

at the vl:$ prompt I type startx and get command not found.
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 09:32:25 pm »

Sounds like probably either your download iso is corrupt, or the burn to cdrom is bad.

It is kind of hard to check for a bad burn, but I've found if you use wodim to burn the iso to cdrom you can check it.
`wodim dev=/dev/cdrw -data /path/to/downloaded.iso` after you burn it like this, you can check the md5sum as such: `dd if=/dev/cdrw | md5sum`
This should produce the same md5sum as that of the downloaded iso.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: