VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 03:24:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it vl 7.0 standard edition the right one for my pc?  (Read 19700 times)
mikronimo

« on: December 12, 2011, 01:48:05 pm »

I have an old pc with a via c3, 1,2 Mhz, processor and 256 Mb ram (in wich run bodhi linux, a ubuntu small derived, with enlightment, but that can't run videos at all, getting freeze); so i think that the standard edition could be the right version for my old pc; i discovered that the only version i can try in live it's the 5.8; so the question is: trying the 5.8 live (where can i find the link to download it?) can give me a reasonably view of the compatibility of vl with my pc? Thanks in advance.  Smiley

EDIT: OOPS... i found the standard live cd to download; i searched directly in this forum without looking in home.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2011, 02:09:04 pm by mikronimo » Logged

Processor: Via c3, 1,2 Mhz, 256 Mb RAM, 40 Gb Hd.
Vector Linux 7.0 Standard Gold, xfce.
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 04:31:35 pm »

With your hardware I would suggest change to other WM such as IceWM and LXDE instead of xfce or you can wait for the VL7 Light version which will be available in the near future Smiley
Thanks for trying out VL7 GOld... Smiley
mikronimo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:05:43 pm »

I tried vl 7 live but it doesen't load at all (it seems to load, but at last does not appear the desktop; i can see only the pointer); in my other pc works perfectly; how can i try it directly with icewm or LXDE, like you are suggesting me? When it's expected the light version? In the meanwhile i'll try the 6.0 version... Thanks for your attention.  Grin

pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:59 pm »

You can install alternative window managers from the GSlapt package manager.

With little ram, don't bother with the "Live" editions. Just install 7.0 Gold to your hard drive.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
mikronimo

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 01:16:28 pm »

Yes, it's probably the right solution, but how I can be sure that the vl 7 can work on my pc? I tried a lot of distros, but the only two that till now had worked were puppy and bodhi and not quite well (bodhi it's not able to run video, altough in low resolution), so before install vl i would be sure that it works.

pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 02:02:42 pm »

It only takes a few minutes to install VL.

If you know how to configure your bootloader, you can resize the partition of your existing distro and install VL alongside it.

I have used icewm in VL7, the environment at idle after startup is only using 93mb of ram.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
mikronimo

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 03:20:32 pm »

If i have to tell the truth i have always installed only one distro, so i don't how to manage bootloader, but i think I will go to install VL7 in bodhi place; however if you have just few time to spare, can you tell me how i have to do? Else, no problem and thanks in advance, anyway.

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2011, 04:28:19 pm »

If you have a spare HDD just install VL7 GOld and you will see... Smiley
No recommend to do the bootloader trick if you are not familiar with it Tongue
mikronimo

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2011, 05:39:42 pm »

Ok, thats all for now; i'll try to install; in trouble case i search for some help. Bye and thanks to all of you for the attention.  Grin

mikronimo

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2011, 03:20:39 pm »

All done and working; just a few things to fix; my touchpad don't scroll and i can't find how to make it do this; another it's vlc: it's installed but don't run; I tried with gslap and even the quick installer in the multimedia menu: same result; at last the time: i set the zone (italy: rome), by i still have greenwich time; i found the possibility of change the time but with the middle mouse key, but my pc is a notebook with no middle key. For the rest all well (afaik).

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2011, 04:06:26 pm »

for VLC, what error if you run vlc from the terminal?
mikronimo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 08:10:19 am »

I remember now that I was able to install only in the old way, 'cause the gui one didn't start at all; so when i login, i have to do like root, without insert user name (actually inserting "root" instead a custom one) and pswrd; all this to say that when i try to launch vlc with the terminal, it says tha vlc it's not intended to be launched like root. Maybe the problem with the installer is the cause for wrong time setting? And for the pointer that do not scroll neither vertically neither horizzontally?  Smiley

roarde
Vectorian

move the needle

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 09:00:24 pm »

As far as the middle mouse button, X is often set up so that pressing both buttons together is a substitute for the middle button. Try it.

On my touchpad, it is easiest to press with the thumb right where the two buttons come together.

Robert
VL STD 7.1 RC2.2.2, icewmvmods
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: