VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 12:54:02 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: IP blocker?  (Read 1274 times)
Herpy
Vectorite

« on: December 19, 2011, 12:58:04 pm »

Anyone know a good IP blocker for vector linux?

Forever in a box
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 01:08:39 pm »

why dont you explain what exactly it is that you want to do?  you want to block an IP from doing what? and where?

Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 01:11:54 pm »

why dont you explain what exactly it is that you want to do?  you want to block an IP from doing what? and where?
Somthing kinda like peerblock for windows. You see I like to back up all my games and download games I previously owned that got lost/broken/stolen via torrents. So p2p blocker I guess.

Forever in a box
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 01:25:25 pm »

I think you're thinking about this all wrong.  Your stuff can't get lost/broken/ or stolen via torrents or any p2p file sharing protocol.
If you have a problem with p2p, just dont use p2p applications.  No need to run any kind of blocker.  But if you're really paranoid, the ufw firewall (included in VL7) will do the trick.

Herpy
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 01:46:22 pm »

I think you're thinking about this all wrong.  Your stuff can't get lost/broken/ or stolen via torrents or any p2p file sharing protocol.
If you have a problem with p2p, just dont use p2p applications.  No need to run any kind of blocker.  But if you're really paranoid, the ufw firewall (included in VL7) will do the trick.
You misunderstood me, all my games I own, I also download on my cpu through torrents as backup. Now when it comes to downloading games the big companies are all like "Sue first and ask questions later". so an ip blocker.

Forever in a box
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 01:51:04 pm »

What you do or dont do with p2p is not for me to get into, I'm just saying... if you dont want to share stuff via p2p, you have 2 options.
1.  Do not use p2p applications
2.  Use p2p applications but configure them to specifically disable sharing on your part.

And again, you're asking about an IP blocker.  This assumes you know where your attack or request is coming from and you want to block that request.  If you avoid p2p altogether, you dont have to know where it comes from.  In any case, like I said before, Gufw may be what you need.

flip city
Packager
Vectorite

Way Out In HyperSpace

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 02:33:10 pm »

Anyone know a good IP blocker for vector linux?

Unix-like operating systems commonly implement IP blocking using tcp wrappers, configured by host access control files[1] /etc/hosts.deny and /etc/hosts.allow.

retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 02:57:44 pm »

You misunderstood me, all my games I own, I also download on my cpu through torrents as backup. Now when it comes to downloading games the big companies are all like "Sue first and ask questions later". so an ip blocker.

I think you misunderstand how IP addresses work and what is possible to hide. The second you snag a torrent, your IP is visible to that torrent service and possibly others. The ONLY way to ensure you aren't being tracked via peer to peer is never to use it. Services such as peer block only block known systems from seeing what you're doing.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2011, 10:58:39 am »

Sounds like most of the replies are from people that don't do much torrenting... Not many of us linux users do much in torrents.

The IP Blocker type things he's talking about uses community maintained "blacklists" of known malicious torrent user IP addresses. It's two way protection, blocking them from seeing/accessing the files you offer and also preventing you from accessing anything that the blacklisted IP has to offer.

These IP Blockers are very common in torrenting and sound like they are pretty effective as well. The idea is similar to distributed email address spam blacklists, forum bot blacklists, and known-attacker blacklists that are used by sysadmins across the world on linux systems.

A few that I've found in google-search that you might look more into are "IPList" and "Mobloquer". Try browsing/searching on the Ubuntu forum, there's alot of users there that do torrenting it looks like. Maybe you can find a good suggestion among them.

As far as a "good" one... that will be the one that has the most active community. The most users, the most people contributing to the blacklist, etc.

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
retired1af
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2011, 11:16:05 am »

Again, it only works with known IPs. That's it. There's no guaranteed method of preventing anyone from seeing what you're downloading. If one downloads improper content, one needs to accept the risk that they may be caught.

ASUS K73 Intel i3 Dual Core 2.3GHz
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2011, 11:20:59 am »

If that is the case just use iptables to block the unwanted leechers

Bigpaws
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2011, 01:33:45 pm »

As to the security of p2p/torrenting, see here: http://www.youhavedownloaded.com/

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2011, 01:41:27 pm »

@ Daniel
That is sick.  scary sick.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: