VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 08:28:03 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved] VL6 light and Tenda W311U problems  (Read 4582 times)
fh67

« on: December 30, 2011, 06:54:06 am »

Hi,

I bought a Tenda W311U USB WLAN dongle after reading purchaser reviews online that it worked with Linux straight from the box. Well it doesn't on my old laptop.

I'm a Linux novice and any advice you could possibly offer would need to be practically step-by-step - but is it possible to get this device working with VL6 or Linux in general?

VL6 WiCD doesn't find any wireless networks. Using a Puppy Linux live disc, the laptop finds the adapter as a RaLink RT2800 using a rt2800usb driver - but it won't connect and doesn't find any wireless extensions.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

FH67
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 02:05:14 pm by fh67 » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 07:28:50 am »

Read through this thread:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=11843

I got it working by blacklisting rt2800usb and using the modified source that is linked to in the last post.

I'll have to go back an retrace my steps to give you exact step by step instructions, post back if you need it.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 07:31:31 am by nightflier » Logged
fh67

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 11:56:06 am »

If you have the time, Nightflier, that might be helpful  as I'm not really sure what I'm doing. I need to get it sorted, if it's possible to get it working, so I can give it to a friend to use for browsing and email. I'll try studying those links in the meantime.

Thanks,

FH67
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 04:49:54 am »

You can copy and paste these commands into a terminal with key combination Shift-Insert
Code:
su
<enter your root password>
mcedit /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
add line to the end of the file:
blacklist rt2800usb
press F2 to save, F10 to exit
Code:
wget http://cincinnatix.com/vectorlinux/nightflier/driver-rt2870_rt3070.tar.gz
tar zxvf driver-rt2870_rt3070.tar.gz
cd RT2870_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.0
make
make install
cd ../DPO_RT3070_LinuxSTA_V2.3.0.2_20100412/
make
make install

Reboot computer and see if it works.  Smiley
fh67

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 02:31:06 pm »

Thanks for your help. I followed all your line by line commands but the laptop sadly still doesn't detect any wireless networks. Everything seemed to have gone ok with the commands, though I did notice a couple of times it said something like 'parameter not found' when doing the make or make installs (can't remember which). Are there any log files anywhere that I can paste on here? The folders seem to have been made correctly in the correct user's folder, so i was really hoping this would work.

FH67
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:19:06 am »

In a terminal, as root, try command "iwconfig", look for a wireless adapter (wlan0, ra0 or similar), and make sure that name is set in the wicd preferences.
pierce.jason
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 06:36:37 pm »

We should have better wifi support in VL7, you might want to "give it a try" on a VL7 livecd and see if that works better. As you've heard before, that device should work "out of the box" but I bet VL6 is just a 'lil too old for it to work without tinkering.

If it works good for you on the VL7 livecd, then grab our GG Gold installer iso and install the latest and greatest VL 7.0 Gold edition!

pierce.jason
Email: $(echo -e "moc\x2eliamg\x40nosaj.ecreip" | rev)
fh67

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 05:49:43 am »

Thanks to you both for your advice. The situation so far:

iwconfig said - lo - no wireless extensions, ra0 - Ralink STA.

The Wicd preferences page, for the WPA Supplicant Driver, offers these options - wext, hostap, madwifi, atmel, ndiswrapper, ipw and ralink legacy. I selected the ralink legacy option.

I changed the Wireless Interface setting to ra0. On the External Programs tab I've got everything set to automatic.

After these settings were changed as above, the laptop now finds the availalble wireless networks, but I can't connect to any of them. I can't connect to my own router, nor could I get it to connect to my friend's network, for whom this is being done. When I try to connect it says - 'Resetting IP address' then 'Obtaining IP address' - then there's a long wait until it says 'Not connected'. It does this with my own Belkin router and my friend's BT router. I've checked the passwords and protocols as well as I'm able. I've also tried various combinations of security protocols, just to see, but still haven't been successful. So I'm stuck again.

I also downloaded the VL7 live CD, as suggested, which boots ok and the progress bar goes all the way to the right, but then it just cycles round and round between a black screen and a few seconds of showing the progress bar all the way across. My thoughts are that this very old laptop, with only 128MB RAM (which I've been unable to find compatible memory upgrades), is happy running VL6 Light, but not VL7 live. Any chance of a VL7 Light CD soon? So i was unable to see if VL7 will cooperate with the Tenda W311U.

Any further help or advice would be gratefully received. I'm hopeful htis problem can be cracked, it's just finding the way.

Regards,

FH67
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 06:07:55 am »

Use iwconfig for ESSID and also that it is connected by looking at
Accesss Point.

You can have you output redirected by using:

command > nameoffile

Then all of the output will go to a file you can use.

With the very limited information. I would venture to guess that
it is the encryption that is the problem. Turn off the encryption and
then try you connection. If it connects then you at least know where
the failure is. Then proceed from there.

If there is a connection but no communication look at ifconfig to
see if an ipaddress is assigned.

Bigpaws
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 06:28:00 am »

The Wicd preferences page, for the WPA Supplicant Driver, offers these options - wext, hostap, madwifi, atmel, ndiswrapper, ipw and ralink legacy. I selected the ralink legacy option.
I never had to change that setting on any of my machines, try setting it back to default.

I also downloaded the VL7 live CD, as suggested, which boots ok and the progress bar goes all the way to the right, but then it just cycles round and round between a black screen and a few seconds of showing the progress bar all the way across. My thoughts are that this very old laptop, with only 128MB RAM (which I've been unable to find compatible memory upgrades), is happy running VL6 Light, but not VL7 live. Any chance of a VL7 Light CD soon? So i was unable to see if VL7 will cooperate with the Tenda W311U.
A beta version (install, not live) of VL7 Light is available:
http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-7.0/iso-test/VL7.0-LIGHT-B1.iso
If you try the beta, select the second (Light) install option when you get to that screen.
128MB is minimum for installation, but probably won't run a Live version.
fh67

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2012, 12:58:37 am »

Thank you for the advice, everyone.

*Success!*  Grin I couldn't see a 'default' WPA setting, but set it to the first entry of 'wext' and it connected and I've been online with it. Excellent! It was my fault for changing the setting to 'ralink legacy driver', I'd done that because i'd misunderstood the iwconfig report of 'no wireless extensions' and had changed that before selecting ra0. If i'd set things to ra0 first, the problem wouldn't have arisen.

I do need encryption turned on for my network. I'll try connecting to my friend's network as soon as possible, but hopefully it's just a matter of setting the appropriate protocol and password.

I updated VL6 with the package manager, but have a couple of final questions, if that's ok:

Firefox and Opera report that i'm not using the latest versions when they start. Should i leave them as they are, because of the laptop's low resources, or should i update them to the latest versions (and how do i do that, if so)?

Do i need to install a firewall?

How can I activate automatic login?

The laptop is for a friend who has practically no computer knowledge - she just needs to be able to start it up easily, open a broswer to search the internet and check her webmail and then shut it down easily - without having to worry about viruses and updates. I turned to Linux because Windows just wouldn't run on this machine with an anti-virus program installed. VL6 looked to be the best distro due to its low resource requirements and its appearance.

Thank you all very much indeed for your help. Can't thank you enough. Thanks especially to nightflier for your patience and detailed answers.

Regards,

FH67  
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:00:35 am by fh67 » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2012, 07:19:23 am »

Glad to hear you got it working. Kudos for sticking to it and not giving up too easily!  Smiley

You want a current browser. As far as keeping Firefox up to date, here is another thread about that:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=14007.msg84989#msg84989
You will need to browse to the download location to get the very latest version.
Once installed in this fashion, you can update FF simply by running it as root and letting it auto-update.

Opera can be maintained in a similar way, I'd have to experiment some to come up with the exact steps.

Firewall: If your friend is behind a wireless router with encryption, I would not worry about it.

Autologin: Look on the menu, under "System", there should be an entry for that.

fh67

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:08:16 am »

Thanks for that.

I've got Firefox updated to the latest version now ok. Smiley

It  seems VL6 Light won't autoconnect wirelessly  to my router on startup - I have to run Wicd to get it to connect (even though it is set to automatically connect in Wicd  and does  so when Wicd is run). Is there a way to automatically get Wicd to run on startup, because unless my friend can just turn on and connect without doing anything except launch the browser, she's going to get confused and frustrated with it.  Huh

I couldn't  find any options to automatically log in a user without a password (to VL, i mean). The 'System' menu on this machine doesn't seem to have any options to set that.

Regards,

FH67
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 12:51:38 pm »

On the road and working from memory, I may get some details wrong.. assuming you are using IceWM.. do you have to enter the root password when you launch wicd?
fh67

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 01:21:53 pm »

Yes, I have to enter the root password when running Wicd.

I did find this, but is it the answer I'm looking for?: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/moinmoin/FAQ

fh67
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: